SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dido1_gw

OT Birdsong

dido1
16 years ago

Hello everyone.

Off topic, but:

Do you know, there are some horrible-sounding birds around. Everyone says that the songs of birds are so wonderful, but when I wake up at dawn - admittedly early - the one that gets me is the 'song' that sounds like a chisel grating up and down an old metal knife-sharpener, and at regular intervals. Any birdwatchers out there who can identify the ruffian who makes noises like that at such an unearthly hour? I'd love to know: because as soon as I get to the window, the racket stops. Is this a mating call? Is there a potential mate who gets turned on by this foul carry-on and at such an early hour?

And if there's any way we can link this to Books to get back on topic, say so, all ye hordes out there. For instance, there's Hardy's:

'I leant upon a coppice gate

When frost was spectre grey

And winter's dregs made desolate

The weakening eye of day'[

And what the poet hears is:

'An aged thrush, pale gaunt and small

With blast-beruffled plume

Had chosen thus to fling his song

Upon the gathering gloom.'

Yes, a thread on poetry, I think. Poetry about the noises of birds - birdsong, it's called - which will mainly be pretty and joyful because that is in the nature of poetry, so they say.....

But please can someone identify this horrible bird that drives me crazy every morning? EVERY morning! Even the dragon is complaining, and that's an even less pretty sound!

It's night here now in glorious, icy-cold, south Wales (the Original). So Nos Da bob i'n, Boys Bach. A pob lwc.

Dido

Comments (34)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor