SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

APRIL: What are you reading?

friedag
17 years ago

I'm still trying to recover from The Terror.

I finished Aldous Huxley's Crome Yellow. When I was in high school I had to read Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited. I loathed them so much that I vowed never to read another book by Huxley. But surprise, surprise! I got a kick out of his first effort published in 1921. It's a parody about the stereotypical characters inhabiting most literature, and he put them all together in that most cliche of British settings: the country-house party. It probably took me forty-something years to build up enough experience to appreciate Huxley's theme -- it would have been wasted on my younger self.

Comments (104)

• bookmom41
    17 years ago

After reading all my other library books I finally picked up (hefted up) Kristin Lavransdatter last night. The names and relationships on the first page were a bit daunting, but I kept with it and so far, it is OK.

Has anyone read Fragile Things yet? I didn't realize it was short stories. Gaiman wrote a children's book which my daughter, who adores creepy, really liked.

Cindydavid, brace yourself for White Oleander. It is unrelentingly grim and disturbing, but something, I'm not sure what, made it readable.

• ztareader
    17 years ago

I read "White Oleander" a few years ago and really liked it. It is disturbing at times, but it sucks you in nonetheless.

Right now I'm reading "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and am enjoying it although for some reason I need frequent breaks from it (perhaps to get back to reality).

This comes after just finishing "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." My SO recommended it highly and I didn't figure I would like anything so psychedelic and journalistic, but it is very well-written and an interesting perspective on the "American Dream," although I will admit I am still trying to get it all synthesized in my head.

At work I am reading Ann Radcliffe's "The Mysteries of Udolfo" because I found it as a free e-book and I heard it described as "gothic romance" which most of my favorite books (Jane Eyre, Frankenstein, etc) fall under. It's easy to read, surprisingly, despite the long dense descriptions.

I am sort of feeling the urge to read some sort of "great" "classic" literature... so whenever I finish the two books, I am looking for something like that to move onto.

• Related Discussions

April is the cruelest month...what are you reading?

Q

Comments (141)
    I finished Plainsong (Haruf) yesterday. It was just as I had hoped. I loved it. I thought that I had a copy of Evensong, which is a continuation of some of the same characters but a cursory look around hasn't produced it. Available at the Library though, which I'll get soon because it's an older book and the new Library Director is a mad culler. Grab it now before it disappears - just like a flea market. (many classics have met this fate too, much to my chagrin) Speaking of elephants, I'm trying to track down The Eye of the Elephant by Mark and Delia Owens. An older book that I'll try to get via interlibrary loan.
    ...See More

April Reading. Tell us What you have Enjoyed . . .or Not.

Q

Comments (87)
    I don't particularly like The Daughter of Time as a detective novel, although I did enjoy reading it as I have with all of Tey's Books. I think it's an interesting exercise in research and deduction, but I don't really understand the obsession many people seem to have with the mystery of the princes in the tower. I am far more interested in the reasons why and the mechanisms though which some royals became or were made into villains or heroes by their successors or by the people after they were dead, or even by changing times, and The Daughter of Time gave me some insight into that. Examples include Richard III being painted blacker than he perhaps was for centuries and then little by little becoming to be seen as less bad or even great (depending on the historian), or Richard I being made into the heroic, almost saintly figure of Good King Richard Lionheart during his lifetime and remaining so for centuries after his death, and in modern times being seen as less good or even bad because of attitudes having changed.
    ...See More

What are you reading? April 2022 Edition

Q

Comments (89)
    I'm in a reading slump right now. I started The Old Woman with the Knife based on a recommendation here but it just isn't working for me. When I am reading it I'm interested, but the main character is quite off putting and the author hasn't pulled me into caring about her in any way, so I probably won't finish this one. I'm tepidly trying to read The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories which is a book club selection. Have finished a couple of the stories so far and the author's imagination is pretty impressive. Still, once again it isn't pulling me in...but short stories are a genre I simply don't read because as with this book, short snippets never interest me. I need to settle in for the long haul of a full book length experience with whoever/whatever it is I"m reading about. Another book club is doing The Lincoln Highway and I'm picking up a copy at the library today. Will give this one my 50 page tryout because I've been burned already by a lengthy post-sensational-previous-book tome that was a complete dud. Lookin at you *cough*Cloud Cuckoo Land*cough* Kicking myself because I got From Strength to Strengthas a library Kindle checkout before it became a bestseller but then let it expire without reading it--now I'm hearing about it everywhere and I'm back on the wait list but it's much longer. Darn my procrastination! Just started reading a recommended essay collection by Mary Laura Philpott that is promising so hopefully it will spark my reading mojo. And I have a new book The Sign for Home that also seems promising. Found that on Modern Mrs Darcy which occasionally tosses out a gem recommendation-hope this is one of those!
    ...See More

April is here, what are you reading ?

Q

Comments (89)
    Paris...the Apartment...and I have reached its end. Lucy Foley is a very talented writer. I found the tale to be as you stated, Woodnymph but I thought the ending was a bit rushed. I would have appreciated a more involved telling of the fate of Concierge and the intended future whereabouts of Nick. As much as I appreciated the story...I could not read this book a second time. For me...it was too emotionally draining. I shall, however, look to read other books that she's written. I'm curious about The Guest List. But, at the moment, my next book is Woman On Fire by Lisa Barr.
    ...See More
  • janalyn
    17 years ago

rouan and woodnymph - Coincidentally, I borrowed the Chevalier book from the library a few days ago. I haven't started it yet, but if you want to discuss it, we could start a thread.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>Gaiman wrote a children's book which my daughter, who adores creepy, really liked.

Which one, he has written several? I have read Coraline and Stardust. He has written several graphic novels as well; haven't been able to get into those, tho so many talke about Sandman that I may just have to try it

I did read Fragile Things; liked it ok but not near as much as his other short story collection.

So is White Oleander disturbing because its filled with scene after scene of dysfunction (like Fall on your knees?) Or because of the topics (like Book of Lost Things). And thanks for the warning

zta, check out the 'decade' thread. There are links to lists of books that could be considered classics. If you are looking for Victorian lit, I can't help you there, thats one genre I rarely read (tho some of my fav books are from that). But I bet others could give you ideas.

• dorieann
    17 years ago

Phaedosia, I read King's The Ha-Ha when it was first released and it was one of my top 3 books of that year. I thought there was a lot of material for discussion in it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I finished Coetzee's The Life & Times of Michael K and really loved it. Michael K was a great, sympathetic character who is going to live long in my memory.

For a lighter change of pace, I've picked up The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. It looks like a good, lighthearted private eye tale. The prologue alone made me laugh. Our fearless, female private eye is being stalked in a parking garage. She manages to locate her car and exit the garage, but is followed by a Ford sedan. After a lengthy car chase she turns the wrong way onto a one-way road, but still can't lose the Ford. Eventually she slams her brakes on, walks back to the sedan and says: "Mom. Dad. This has to stop."

• bookmom41
    17 years ago

What makes White Oleander disturbing? Pretty much everything in the book, especially because the main character is a child. I despised Fall on Your Knees for one reason in particular which also applies to White Oleander but don't want to ruin it for you before you've read it.

Has Gaiman written another book similar to Coraline? I'm thinking the children's librarian pulled out a graphic novel or picture book which did not interest my daughter and that was it. Guess I can look it up myself and see what I can find to order at the library--don't mean to be lazy!

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Check out the link below, it will take you to Gaiman's books. He has several that might work for your daughter:

The day I swapped my dad for two goldfish

Mirrorsmask children's edition

Wolves in the walls

As far as White Oleander, its looking less and less like I want to read it. Thanks for the warning :)

I am a little disapponted with Namesake. Its rather boring, actually. I suspect this is an author who can write dynamite short stories, but loses momentum with novels? I dunno - I am only to page 50. Thats usually my make and break point but I really wanted to like this book so I'll continue

I think my problem with it is that I have read so many extraordinary books about India and immigrants from India, that this just seems like more of the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neil Gaiman website

• ztareader
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, cindy, and let's put it this way. If you want a light, pleasant read, White Oleander isn't it. It is a tale of a messed-up and often abusive childhood lived in foster homes. I still thought it was worth the read.

• vickitg
    17 years ago

cindy -- Thanks for the Gaiman link ... I think. :) I got so wrapped up in reading blog/messages etc. that i lost track of time. I really do have work to do.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

Cindy, Michael Dirda, the former book editor at the Washinton Post (and friend of Gaiman) suggests starting sandman with Volume 3, Dream Country. They are all individual short stories rather than part of an arc. Also, he had hit his stride and they are wonderful. If you are half as crazy about A Midsummer's Night Dream as I am you will like the one story devoted to it. "Calliope" tells the tale of a muse captured by a modern writer, "Night of a Thousand Cats" is a plot for the feline takeover of the world, "Facade" is the story of a washed up superhero. The Dream Hunters isn't Sandman, but it is also a very fine graphic novel.

• bookmom41
    17 years ago

Yes, thank you for the Gaiman link.

Now on to Kristin Lavransdatter. Hmm, my thought is "Mauve Binchy vists Scandanavia." Last night, I burst out laughing when Kristin announced "We've killed Eline Ormsdatter." Frances_md mentioned the writing struck her as for a young adult; so far, the whole thing seems somewhat like a soap opera, quite melodramatic. Maybe it is the translation? Now, I'm not saying that I don't enjoy it, because I do. It is not, however, as weighty a read as I'd anticipated. My toughest decision will be whether or not to buy it, as my copy is due back to the library in a few days with no renewal allowed. I'd post on the discussion thread for the book but since I'm only on page 232...

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

bookmom, re KL, I think you will find a deepening in the style toward the end, as the characters evolve and change. Then, there is the spiritual element, which comes more and more to the surface. I suppose, however, the novel can be read on more than one level....

Which translation are you reading? Archer or Nunally?

• bookmom41
    17 years ago

It is the Nunally translation. After I posted last night, I read more of KL and already see that the style does deepen and I am becoming more appreciative of the religous/spiritual conversations with both the monk (Edvin?) and Fru Aashild. I didn't mean for my previous post to sound flip; a better way to put it would be to say that I am pleased that this book is turning out to be such an accessible and enjoyable story.

• barly
    17 years ago

I just started American Gods by Gaiman. So far so good. This will be the first of his books that I have read.

Barly

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

chris, thats for that info. I have been wanting to read the series and didn't know where to start (btw, I trust Michael Dirdas opinions on many things. I have two of his collected essays and have now and again caught some of his book reviews.)

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

bookmom, so glad you are liking KL better. Hope you will join us on the discussion thread.

• robinwv
    17 years ago

I flew through "The Terror"! Loved the blend of fact and fiction. I also just finished "The Great Influenza" about the 1918 influenza pandemic - scary and fascinating. I've just started "The Great Plague" about the black plague in London in 1665 and it promises to be very good as well. I'm one of those weird people who love to read books that reflect what I do for a living - infectious disease nursing!

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

We lost power so I curled up with Fragile Things with a flashlight which certainly added atmosphere. I agree it isn't as good as Gaiman's earlier collection, Smoke and Mirrors. He seemed to be experimenting, but several of the stories weren't polished, even some of the award winners. I thought he tried to pull a Calvino (If On a Winter's Night A Traveler...) with one and it just wan't carefully crafted. Even if he wasn't consciously copying the idea, his story still called that masterpiece to mind and it didn't compare well. I love the instructions of what to do if you ever find yourself in a fairy tale. I like the stories, I'd just hoped for better.

• picassocat
    17 years ago

I'm reading "Letters on Cézanne" by Rainer Maria Rilke. It's interesting to read how artists think and see things.

• grelobe
    17 years ago

Just finished "Memory Artists" by Jeffrey Moore and IÂve got swinging feelings about it.
    The story tells about Noel, a young man who suffers both Synesthesia and Hypermnesicis coping
    with his motherÂs Alzheimer disease, helped by a few friends of his.
    The beginning is really slow, the author takes too time and lines to depict each characters and their
    relationships. Afetrwards, when the five of them have gathered in NoelÂs flat, the story speed up and
    there are lines that make you laugh outloud, and others that make you think.
    Besides thereÂs plenty of references about artists, poets and scientific researches, but it is not a turn
    pages, and sometimes I was bogged down in the middle of a chapther with the temptation to skip a
    few pages.
    It isnÂt a well rhythmed book in my opinion, but it isnÂt that bad either
    just my two cents

grelobe

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

I've been on a Kurt Vonnegut reading marathon (he passed away this month). I read these in HS and college, and am pleasantly surprised how much they hold up. The short stories in Monkey House -among my favorites - were interesting because of how I now see them as an adult. Still excellent, but with a twist. Finished Player Piano last night, still amazed by how prescient it was. On to Mother Night (I am going in the more or less order of publication, so I have Cats Cradle to look forward to)

• vickitg
    17 years ago

Finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter for book discussion group. I wasn't that impressed, but we did find quite a bit to discuss. No one absolutely loved it.

Now I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Has anyone read this? It's narrated by Death. The setting is Nazi Germany. I'm not sure where it's going, but it's an interesting concept. Earlier this month I read "The Brief History of the Dead. I hope this isn't a new trend for me.

• martin_z
    17 years ago

Finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Vonnegut. As good as I'd remembered.

Now reading The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney. Costa book of the year (used to be the Whitbread Prize - for some reason, the Costa Prize doesn't feel as if it has the same ooomph...)

I'm enjoying it (enough to have missed my tube stop on one occasion). There was a bit of a kerfuffle about the book, I remember now - it's set in Canada, in 1790; the author has never been to Canada, let alone to the particular part of Canada (Newfoundland?) where it is set. Some people seem to find this a bit upsetting. Can't see it myself - it's hardly going to be the same now as it was in 1790, and no one expects her to travel in time to do her research - so why should it be such a sin to not travel abroad?

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

Martin, I've been wanting to read The Tenderness of Wolves, but it hasn't been released in the U.S. yet.

Sarah, I read The Book Thief last year, and it was one of my favorite books. I would even venture to say that if I had to list my top ten favorite books of all time (which would be almost impossible for me to do), I would consider placing it on that list.

• vickitg
    17 years ago

Wow, CMC, that's quite a recommendation for The Book Thief. I'm even more anxious now to keep reading it. Thanks.

• colormeconfused
    17 years ago

It really struck a chord with me for some reason. I especially liked Death's narrative, which I thought was beautifully written. Often I found myself rereading what Death said because it was so oddly striking and memorable.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

sarah, I am a big fan of Book Theif. What is interesting is now reading Vonnegut, I am finding Zusak's use of structure, black humor and irony similar to his, and am curious if he was an influence (and its funny because many people who didn't like Book Theif complain about the structure. Maybe having grown up reading Vonnegut helped me think it all perfectly normal? :) I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it, Sarah.

martin, I'm almost there. Just finished Mother Night, Cats Cradle is next. That one was always my fav and I am a bit hesitant to read it because I enjoyed it so much. But so far everything I've read has been as good if not better tis time around, so I have hope.

• thyrkas
    17 years ago

Book group is reading 'Bee Season' by Myla Goldberg. I like Goldberg's writing style very much.

The story is about a little girl who is considered an underachiever by her family, her school and her community until she starts winning spelling bees. As she continues to win, all the family dynamics change.
    A very interesting book, I think, with many amusing parts, some moving episodes and some disturbing sections as well.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Some interesting bits about Kabbala as well, and she does a good job with the bits and pieces of Judaica, tho I don't know how understandable it is to anyone without the background. Lemme know what you think.

BTW,I loved the visual of Miriams storage locker.

• thyrkas
    17 years ago

POTENTIAL SPOILER! Yes, I liked it too. It was interesting to me that the idea of tikkun olam, which I think is representative of healing a broken world, was, as displayed in the storage locker, the demonstration of Miriam's illness, her own personal brokenness. One begins to understand the extent of her illness by seeing the amazing world she has constructed for herself in the locker.
    We are going to discuss the book on April 26th. I am bringing along a CD from a radio show that has a definition of tikkun olam as given by Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen. She received this definition from her rabbi grandfather who was a student of Kabbala. It is only about 10 minutes long, and is in story form. Hopefully this will help us all understand the book better.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

The documentary about the National Spelling Bee makes for more compelling watching after reading The Bee Season.. I liked the novel well enough, but wasn't blown away by it. I saw it as a better written version of the dysfunctional family novel that I complain so much about.

• captainbackfire
    17 years ago

I just finished O Pioneers! by Willa Cather.This was a re-read. My book club will be discussing it next week. It had been over 15 years ago that I first read this book, and I really forgot a lot of it! I absolutely love rereading My Antonia, so I was eager to revisit this. It did not disappoint. I like how Cather was able to depict this glimpse into a family - showing the dreams that exist alongside the realities that occur. Very nice.

Next, I have 3 that are begun. I will finish one of them. Pride and Prejudice, another re-read; Case Histories - I forget the author, but my aunt recommended it to me; the third is a book by my cousin's husband that he self-published. It is YA, and he wants my input.

• thyrkas
    17 years ago

Yep, it certainly is a 'dysfunctional family' novel! But I think it is also a coming of age novel, and as I mentioned on another thread, I also think it is about how we can fail to recognize mental illness even though it is right in front of us.

• bookmom41
    17 years ago

I read Bee Season a year or two ago, and really enjoyed it. Some time later, Mr Bookmom and I rented the movie which was dreadful; I had trouble following it even with having read the book and had to constantly explain to my husband what was going on.
    In taking a break from the epic KL I squeezed in reading David Sedaris' Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim which was hilarious overall even though some parts were a bit crude, and my daughter's Are You There God? It's me, Margaret which, so far, she has left untouched. While the girls in the book are clearly from a more innocent era, the issues addressed are ones with which I know my own daughter is grappling and so did I at the same age. (though I was reading this book around its pub date of 1970)

• martin_z
    17 years ago

Finished The Tenderness of Wolves. Yeah, OK. It's a very good thriller, but the characters are a bit unconvincing. Book of the year? Not in my view.

Now started Restless by William Boyd. A spy thriller, but William Boyd is a step above the average writer, and he doesn't seem to delight in completely convoluted plots a la Le Carre. I'll let you know...

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

"Kristin Lavransdatter" is a hard act to follow, but now I am trying to get into Krakauer's "Into Thin Air."

Waiting on the TBR stand is "Isak Dinesen, the Life of a Storyteller", a biography of Colette, and Berendt's book about Venice.

I am one who thought "Bee Season" was excellent.(the book, not the film).

• georgia_peach
    17 years ago

KL is a hard act to follow!

I finally finished reading the Penguin Deluxe edition of The Sagas of Icelanders. I will be seeking out more sagas when I can find them. I have fallen in love with many of them. I also read Njal's Saga separately (not included in my Penguin edition), but it was particularly interesting to discover how it relates to the Laxdaela Saga (and the differences in the accounts of the half brothers Hrut and Hoskuld). Of the shorter ones, I really liked Gisli Sursson's Saga. Gisli's last stand is unforgettable. My favorite so far may very well be Egil's Saga.

I decided to finally try something by Edward Rutherfurd. Currently reading Russka, which is a multi-generational epic told in a series of vignettes spanning nearly 1800 years of Russian history. I'm almost done with the second vignette, and was thrilled to discover it incorporates the legend of the Rusalka at the crossroads (those who have read Kay's Tigana will be familiar with the Rusalka).

• sheriz6
    17 years ago

I've just started Anne Lamott's newest book, Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith, and so far it's very much like her previous two books on the same subject, with just enough beautiful turns of phrase and self-deprecating humor to keep it fresh.

I also took The Children of Hurin out from the library and have read just the preface so far. It looks promising.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

I am re-reading In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. It is such a good book.

I enjoyed the first Charlie Chan book, House Without a Key, so much that I ordered the others from Abe. I have the four in paperback to take with me on vacation, leaving this weekend. We are driving out west to visit Zion and Bryce National Parks in Utah and then for a week in a log house (new) at Crested Butte, Colorado, with my siblings and our spouses.

• thyrkas
    17 years ago

I heard someone somewhere say that baby-boomers might appreciate an adventure sequel to Krakauer's book called 'Into Thin Hair' ;)

I have read and truly enjoyed things written by Isak Denison, and love the movie 'Babbette's Feast' based on her book (short story?). Also 'Out of Africa' is a favorite. Will wait to hear what you have to say about the biography.

Also, is the biography about Collette a new book?

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>We are driving out west to visit Zion and Bryce National Parks in Utah

Gorgeous country - I hiked in both places many years ago. Bryce in particular struck me as a fairy castle landscape.

Finished another Maughm "Mrs Craddock" about a young woman who falls in love at first sight with a farmer, and later realizes that she doesn't know him. An intersting look at relationships (written in 1900, the author 'edits' himself in the preface of 1955. Very pomo before the word was coined!)

• thyrkas
    17 years ago

On the sly I have been reading a book with poems written by Shel Silverstein and published posthumously called "Runny Babbit, a Billy Sook". The book is illustrated in pen and ink cartoon type drawings which are delightful. From the title you can discern the style of the poetry. Funny? yes. Smarmy? no. The poems simply make me laugh out loud! I might give it to the grandchildren, but then again...

• rosefolly
    17 years ago

I just finished Pretty Birds by Scott Simon for my book club. I found myself reluctant to read this novel but once I finally got going, had trouble putting it down. It is a story of daily life in Sarajevo under siege as seen primarily through the eyes of a teenaged girl. She seemed quite realistic to me with her fascination with celebrity; her mix of genuine affection and scorn for her parents; and her acceptance of the doubtful odds that she would survive into adulthood.

My next book is The Annotated Pride and Prejudice. I heard the annotater David Shapard on public radio and was greatly intrigued. I like to think that I know a reasonable amount about life in Austen's times, but I suspect I am about to learn a great deal more.

Rosefolly

• janalyn
    17 years ago

I read The Road in one day and loved it.
    Burning Bright by Chevalier was a disappointment. I've read too many other authors who have done this setting and time, and done it much better. It just never engaged me.
    I also read Empire Falls for my book club and felt lukewarm about it. It won the Pullitzer but not my heart and mind.

Hey Paula - Thanks for the post about the Annotated Pride and Prejudice. I've ordered it!

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>just finished Pretty Birds by Scott Simon for my book
    club

I have read two of his non fictions, and have liked them. Given the excellent reporting he did in Sarajevo, I'd expect this to be good. I've just hesitated because I know usually an author can do fiction or non, not both. But your comment encourages me to give it a try, rose.

Started Pastor's Wife by Eliz Von Arnim. May be my last of hers for a while, but I've enjoyed the run.

• veer
    17 years ago

Constitutional short stories by Helen Simpson. Never read any of her work before but very much enjoyed her use of language.
    Dark Fire C J Sansom. It follows on from his Dissolution. Both whodunnits solved by his lawyer hero, set at the time of the Reformation. Convoluted plots but an interesting and different setting.

• Kath
    17 years ago

Vee, there is a third in Sansom's series called Sovereign which I enjoyed as much as the first two.

• veer
    17 years ago

Thanks Kath. I have it on my Too Be Ordered From The Library list.
    Our library system is tightening up and will not borrow books from other counties unless the punter pays £3! Just not worth it for a couple of weeks loan.
    Looks like you are going to be winning the Cricket World Cup, Kath! Well-done in advance.

• Kath
    17 years ago

The telecast is just beginning here and it is 11:30pm. DH is going to record it and we can watch tomorrow morning without reading the paper or listening to the radio.

• thyrkas
    17 years ago

>I am one who thought "Bee Season" was excellent.(the book, not the film).>

woodnymph2 -our book group had a rather decent discussion of "Bee Season".
    We agreed that Goldberg is a very skillful, imaginative and fearless writer. Consensus was that we were alternately intrigued and disturbed by the story. Characters we started out liking at the beginning were disliked by the end, and vice-versa, but all of us loved Eliza throughout the story.
    People who came to the discussion not caring for the book at all mostly had a change of heart by the end of the discussion.