SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantzzman

Where are we going with bedding plants

plantzzman
18 years ago

Just where are we going with bedding plants these days.

By this I mean the products sold.

It was only a few years ago some garden centres and DIY outlets started selling bedding plants such as Impatiens in packs bigger than 6 packs.

We now have outlets such as B&Q selling impatiens in trays around 126 in size which is crazy with crazy prices to match.

We now have outlets such as B&Q cancelling their plant orders with their suppliers due to lower than expected sales-well what do you expect selling such quantities as 126 to customers- selling plants at loss leader prices is bound to impact sales.

I find such practices very sad and potentially highly damaging to horticulture in general.

Plants in these 126 trays are little more than plug plants which need care. Inexperienced gardeners buying such plants are likely to get a poor display as they wont realise such plants need growing on. The resulting disapointment gardeners could suffer could potentially put many many new gardeners off bedding plants for life.

I remember planting impatiens from my place of work in my brothers garden last year at the same time his neighbour was planting a DIY mega pack. The next time I saw the neighbour 2 months later the question was WHY DIDNT MY PLANTS GROW LIKE YOURS?

I am not being nasty because the DIY stores are selling so cheap etc, I just dont think it is right.

Maybe it's just me but I just cannot stop caring.

Comments (12)