SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

A Frock Just Like Scarlett's

friedag
17 years ago

Some readers could not care less about descriptions of scenery, architecture, furnishings of houses, the physical attributes of the characters, what people eat or what they wear; and lots of writers don't bother to include these things. But I love those kinds of details -- they add verisimilitude -- and I often remember them long after I've forgotten plots and motivations.

Of course a writer can get carried away with descriptions or turn them into brand-name fetishism, such as Bret Easton Ellis did in American Psycho.

However, skipping the overdescribers, I'd like to think about some really memorable bits, particularly clothing and food. Examples: Scarlett's green dress made from her mother's drawing-room portieres -- Why have generations of readers been so fascinated with this garment? The dress even became part of a comedy skit that became famous itself.
No Name's copy of the gown and hat worn by Lady Caroline in the painting (Rebecca)
The Feast of Epiphany menu, Dublin style, in James Joyce's "The Dead."
Topaz's innovative menu for the reciprocal dinner party with the Cottons (I Capture the Castle).

What nuggets stick in your memory or are your favorites? Please share. What are other details that have became so famous (like Scarlett's dress) that we can't imagine them not being included?

Comments (93)

• dido1
    17 years ago

Frieda,

PURSUIT OF GENTLEMEN

Thanks for the excerpts. Wonderful! Intriguing! Stan and I don't know this book at all, but it sounds wonderful. Can you give us details - like who wrote it? Sorry to be so uninformed.

Dido

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

freida-interesting question. I think men's, actually. Georgie overall-not just his clothes, but his furnishings, bibelots, routines. He was good on food, too-Lobster a la Riseholm!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Frilly Frocks

Q

Comments (6)
    I too have been looking for Frilly Frocks and can't seem to get it. The last person I asked who won it on EBAY said she didn't wish to trade copies even though I offered to pay for the coping and shipping. She thought it was considered copywrite infringement to make copies. I desperately want to make the dresses for my little girl who's due in late oct./early Nov. Can u help?
    ...See More

Sort of a silly frigid frock question.

Q

Comments (4)
    The only uncool thing about the OTR MW is the safety hazards! They also are usually light on the suckage, but that can be helped with open windows and regular cleaning. They generally look fine. My cousin even mounted a big counter top model on a shelf over the range where there are no uppers just because it was a good place to stash it. It looks as funky as the rest of the kitchen (which is seriously cool, in its multigenerational pastiche of a way), and actually does look weird, but it works for them. I wouldn't worry about the look or cool factor. Choose your fridge based on the way you want your kitchen to look. I love paneled. Other people think it looks funny and that appliances should show themselves. How do you feel? I frankly think a freestanding fridge can be anything it wants to be. You could make it seriously cool by putting beautiful art panels on it. Or take a cue from that funky old Fridge Palimpsest posted and cover the panels with funky fabric. You could do chalk board. Or dry-erase. Or you could just make it match the range and MW. There's a world of options for you. Do what makes you all happy and warm inside. :)
    ...See More

This doesn't sound just right to me!

Q

Comments (12)
    Keep in mind, the lookback period for disbursing assets before going into long term care with the express intention of having the county or state pick up the tab is now 5 years. Little late for the OP to think about that advice. That being said, I've heard of those CCRC faculities - there was a large, some church affiliated one in the Maryland suburbs of DC. To get in, you turn over everything you own, including your house, and they take care of you until you die. The financial records, etc. are necessary for them to insure that your parents will always be in the category of "private pay" and their assets are enough to insure that the institution will never find themselves not being paid for their services. And also they want to know if the potential residents deliberately impoverished themselves by giving away assets within the last 5 years. In other words - if this is like the facility in Maryland - if you didn't have any money, you couldn't get into their facility in the first place. It would be a better deal if your parents were younger and in need of alternate living arrangements. It's the 260k deposit (not to mention the house which they would sell if your parents' expenses exceeded the $260k) that gives me pause though and I'd definitely want all my questions answered before making any commitments. If on death, any unused portion is returned to the estate of the deceased as opposed to being kept by the CCRC, well, that's fine. But you would want, and have every right to expect, an accurate and detailed accounting of every expense incurred - down to the last penny! On the other hand - my Mother was a private pay resident of an excellent long term care facility to the tune of approx. 5k per month. She was only there for 11 months and the tab was close to 60k altogether. However, she did not have to put up a deposit or sign over her house and assets - with her financial POA, we just had to write out one of her checks every month. Had I not taken care of her at home for the previous 5 years, her nursing home expenditures would have definitely approached the 250k plus mark. But again, her other income generating assets, Federal Employees survivor's pension, etc. were all available for her to be able to pay her own way. There's enough anxiety over having parents who can no longer live in their own homes - any undue anxiety over the money aspect of it all makes it worse, in my opinion. If they can't or won't answer questions to your satisfaction and you still have reservations - I'd say, look elsewhere.
    ...See More

Is it just me or....? kind of long but would like your imput.

Q

Comments (25)
    Here's what I'm thinking. Sort of along Mommabear's thought. I think you need more info from the teacher, and should press her on specific points. It's possible the teacher is overreacting, it's possible the teacher's expectations of your daughter are too high because of her intelligence; it's possible your daughter is fidgeting more because school is getting harder or easier or she doesn't like the teacher or something; it's possible the teacher is not a very good disciplinarian; it's possible the teacher just always feels she has to complain about something. ANYTHING is possible, frankly. I think you need more info. Ask some specific questions, and insist on some specific answers. Is your daughter having more problems in these areas than the other kids are? Is her behavior inappropriate to her age? Why is this something that is brought to YOUR attention? Can't the teacher handle it? What specifically has the teacher done to help your daughter w/ these behavior problems, and have they worked or not worked? What does the teacher do when your daughter fidgets? How does your daughter react? How disruptive IS this behavior to the other kids in the class? Do other teachers see this behavior? How do they respond? Does it work? Then, with your daughter, I think your approach should not be to punish her, but rather to strategize with her and coach her. She's not willfully misbehaving, really, and besides, I think this sort of thing (small issues, classroom discipline) are best punished by the school, and that parents shouldn't be issuing punishment for them. From you she needs techniques, conversation, discussion, practice. She's old enough that if she thinks a little and is in a nonjudgmental situation (and knows she's not going to get punished), she could explain why she fidgets, why she talks, what's going on in the classroom (maybe she's smart enough that she's done already and she'd bored). Then you can help her understand why that's a problem, and help her think of things she can do to cut down on the fidgeting. Ask her the same sorts of questions you asked the teacher; her perceptions may give you valuable information. You may also need to say to the teacher, "I want you to TAKE the authority over this. I'll back you up as you deal with this." My daughter cries a lot, easily. I told the teacher, feel free to tell her "that's enough, you have to be quiet now" in a very brusque manner. "Be dismissive," I said. "Don't feel you have to be all sympathetic. Insist with some emphasis that now she must get ahold of herself. Be stern, even. She'll get over it. I'll never come back and say you were too mean to my weeping child. If that doesn't work, then of course feel free to change it, but you can enforce discipline in this area and I'll back you up." Maybe the teacher needs that from you. Because frankly they shouldn't be calling you the FIRST DAY of school because she doesn't settle down. If they can't handle a rambunctious 2nd grade on the first day, they do have a bit of a problem. By day 3, perhaps there's an indication of a pattern. Jeez, was she swinging from the fluorescent lights? I also think you would be within your rights to say to them, "please don't call me every time this comes up. What the heck do you think I am going to do that very moment? Write me a note, keep me appraised of her general progress at the end of each day, or every so often, and get off my back about each little incident. When she's willfully disobedient, when she hits someone, when she damages school property, THEN you can call me." I agree that the pattern is important, and that's part of the info you need to insist upon from the teacher--what's going on when she's talking out of turn or being too rowdy? Is she done w/ her work already and bored? Is she just at the beginning of an assignment and trying to put it off? Has she been sitting a long time and gets rowdy when she's allowed to get up and get in line? All of these things could be happening, each would have a different cause and each would have a different solution. The teacher MUST provide you with this information. If she's not willing to provide you with the background you need to act, then she has no business calling you with her complaints. No fair dumping the problem on you w/o info as well--that IS lazy. Also, talk to her first-grade teacher in person. These sorts of behavior patterns, if they're truly disruptive behavior, have their roots and indicators, and that teacher will have seen them if they existed. And since she coped w/ your daughter just fine, she may have suggestions for tactics that will work. The first-grade teacher may also have some insight into the second-grade teacher, which might help. Ditto, talk to the third-grade teacher WITHOUT the second-grade teacher around. Also, feel free to go to the school's guidance counselor and even eventually the principal--not to complain, but to ask for guidance and input, and essentially for the same question you asked us: Is this phoning-me-every-other-day warranted? What do you want of me? What are you expecting me to do because you call? I understand why they wouldn't let you come and see in secret, and I'd stop obsessing about it. Sometimes your presence in the classroom wears off (if you're really quiet), and your daughter will act as she usually does, so don't rule out a day of observation if they'll allow it.
    ...See More
  • teacats
    17 years ago

I adore really good descriptions of settings, scenes, dress and finery ...... and food too .... of course!!

Enid Blyton (the Island of Adventure) and E. Nesbit's (the Phoenix and the Carpet!!) stories always jump to mind. You could really really see each scene as it unfolded.

Same kinds of details in Tolkien (remember how he describes each home, house and dwelling?); also the Narnia series. Houses and Gardens and Food literally become another character ....

Also a nod to romance writers like Barbara Cartland -- who truly described fashions of the day and the houses and food too! It is the details that really make the story come alive!

I always expect the same kinds of details in movies too -- I'll watch movies time and again just to see the houses or gardens!!

• norcal_at_heart
    17 years ago

Hi all, I'm litlbit's daughter.
    Personally, I love description in books. I couldn't do without it. However, I think Homer takes it a bit far. Chewbecca, I love Terry Pratchett's books...they are so full of random details that come back to you after rereading a book 5, 10, or 20 times. At least I think so.
    I keep a journal of quotes too, but it's mostly made up of the songs and prophecies of Lord of the Rings, encryptions from the Redwall book Triss, the poems from A Swiftly Tilting Planet, and the poems from Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence. My favorite of those is:
    "when the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back;
    three from the circle, three from the track;
    wood, iron, bronze,;
    water, fire, stone;
    five shall return and one go alone."
    the rest of the poem goes on to describe the fight between good and evil, and who shall play parts in it. I had it memorized at one time.
    I also keep a list of interesting character names...mostly from fantasy books. Does anyone else do that?
    Sorry for the long post, but it's my first time posting and I have a lot to say.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

I can remember pieces of descriptions long after I have forgotten the book-our heroine, a young woman of slight means, brown hair and eyes, wearing an old grey tweed skirt and jumper, coming face to face with the other young lady in the romantic triangle-wearing "a pale yellow silk coat, fawn silk scarf and soft suede boots of the same fawn color. With her fair hair and golden skin, eyelashes damp from the mist, she seemed to glow." Or a detective watching a woman mount a staircase wearing a "glossy golden fur coat over a peacock blue satin gown." I am a very visual reader-to the point where I often hesitate to see movies made from favorite books, because they are never right! They don't match my visions while reading.

• vtchewbecca
    17 years ago

I am like you, I do not like to see movies made from books I've read, because they never match my own imagination. I am also very visual - in all aspects, so it is no surprise that I am a visual person while reading.

Cindy, I agree with you about the sausage seller. He fits his roll so perfectly!

Norcal, I agree that Pratchett's books can be reread with new little details popping out every time.

Anne McCaffrey's dragonrider books were brought to my mind while reading through this thread. I can picture the weyrs in my head, as well as the people involved and the atmosphere around them. I feel like I am there when I read them (and I have over and over again). Many passages stick out in my mind, from the time Moreta met Alessan to the death of Fax and introduction of Lessa. Perhaps this is why I am so drawn to these books.

• dido1
    17 years ago

Norcal,

(what do we call you?), Welcome, and may you make many more postings.

Just wanted to connect with Susan Cooper's THE DARK IS RISING. I love it - in fact, I've just re-read (for the umpteenth time) the volume of that title - the second in the sequence. You might be interested to know that I am Welsh and know the Cader Idris area quite well, where some later books are set (The Grey Woolf) - though I am, in fact, a south Walian. Cader Idris, though not a huge mountain by world standards, is a strange, brooding Thing which frightens me a lot. there's a pass you have to drive up in order to get from S. to N. Wales (without going all round the houses) and I just can't do it. I get vertigo and sheer terror every time I go there - even when someone else is driving. We have a saying in Wales, that if you spend a night on Cader Idris (tr. Idris's chair), you come down in the morning changed into either a lunatic or a poet.....

Have you read The Owl Service by Alan Garner? It's about teenagers, set in much the same area, and also about other-worldly things. I love it.

All the best,

Dido

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>He fits his roll so perfectly!

Love the pun, Pratchett would be so proud (and if it was merely a type don't tell him!)

Norcal welcome!

> am a very visual reader-to the point where I often hesitate to see movies made from favorite books, because they are never right! They don't match my visions while reading.

Ditto, tho I have been pleasantly surprised. My mind plays a movie in my head when I read and a book with good descriptions is just the thing to move it along.

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cindy and Chewbecca, you are tantalizing us with your allusions to Pratchett's wurst vendor! I would like a bit more description of this fellow.

Norcal, echoing the others: Welcome! Sounds like you are creating a treasure for yourself with your journal of quotes and list of character names. Years later it will be fun for you to read what has made an impression on you during your youthful reading. I love to read old commonplace books of people who later became famous (George Washington's is priceless) and those of "ordinary" people, too. This used to be a common practice: keeping a book of snippets of quotes or poetry gleaned from books, newspapers, letters, and oral advice -- the artistically inclined often illustrated them as well. I suppose computer blogs have largely replaced them; and while those might be interesting later, too, I wonder if most of the charm of the handwritten and hand-illustrated will be lost.
    "...our heroine, a young woman of slight means, brown hair and eyes, wearing an old grey tweed skirt and jumper, coming face to face with the other young lady in the romantic triangle-wearing "a pale yellow silk coat, fawn silk scarf and soft suede boots of the same fawn color. With her fair hair and golden skin, eyelashes damp from the mist, she seemed to glow."Cece, you say you've forgotten the book from which this came? Too bad 'cause I'd like to know what it is.

I better not get started on the book/film thing; but suffice it to say, I am also a very visual reader.

Dido, my apologies for not attributing the passage from Pursuit of Gentlemen. It is so familiar to me that I forget that it might be a rather\-obscure book to some. Kathryn Cravens is the author. Cravens, a Texan, was a war correspondent in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia during World War II. She was also an actress \-\- stage and radio mostly, I think \-\- and a poet. Drusilla Allen, the heroine of PofG, was a real\-life person and a relative of Ms Cravens. Drusilla was born at Fort Phantom Hill, Texas in the 1830s, her mother dying shortly thereafter. Raised by her father until her teen years, upon his death she was sent to live in New York City with her mother's sister who had married a wealthy businessman (Aunt Serenity and Uncle Jasper in the passage above). They had a beautiful daughter named Abigail and it was Aunt Serenity's occupation to get Abigail and Drusilla well married, thus the title. Published in 1950, the book is decidely told in an old\-fashioned way and fictionalized (it's called a novel) \-\- but I think all the more delightful for it. It's mostly humorous, with some pathos, and Drusilla \-\- the raw, unsophisticated Texan \-\- wasn't a bit intimidated by life in the big city. At a dinner party, she was seated next to William Makepeace Thackeray, the author of those shocking books, Vanity Fair and Henry Esmond, and Thackeray thought she was wonderful. Pursuit of...
  • ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

arrgghh. The library doesn't have Pursuit of Gentlemen-and it sounds perfect-used book sites, I guess.
    Freida-no-I know it was when I was an older preteen or young teenager, so it was probably an innocent-type romance novel. I just remember the silk coat and matching scarf and suede (so impractical)boots-at the time, I thought it was the epitome of elegance.
    Of course our heroine wins the boy at the end!

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

I've been reading this thread with great interest, but frustrated that I cannot really contribute. I must confess that for most of my reading life I completely skipped over descriptions of people and places. I see I have missed a lot. Not until I began listening to books, and hearing each word the writer crafted, did I begin to enjoy lyricism and imagery. Yet still, without effort, my eye elides descriptions.

• georgia_peach
    17 years ago

One would think that some romance novel junkie out there would have a site (or database) dedicated to costumes/fashion in novels, but I haven't found one (though I haven't really searched that extensively for one, either). Personally, I have a better memory for passages concerning food (rather than clothes). Does this mean I'm subconsciously ravenous? (hee hee).

To be on topic, perhaps fantasy fans can chime in regarding George R. R. Martin's descriptions. One of my favorites is of Khal Drogo. He's described as tall and graceful with skin of polished copper and drooping mustachios (I think he wears rings in the mustachios, or at least he did on the day of his wedding). He wears his hair in a long, black braid, which has never been cut because he has never lost a battle. He also wears bells in his hair. Khal Drogo is of the Dothraki tribe, and their culture is similar to the Mongolian steppe people. I was wondering, though, what cultures wear bells in their hair? Can't you just hear the tinkle of bells as they ride across the grasslands?

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I must confess that for most of my reading life I completely skipped over descriptions of people and places.That's all right, Chris. I confess to skipping most poems in books that aren't poetry books -- one in which I did that was Byatt's Possession. I'm sure I missed a lot -- after all, one of the main characters was a poet -- but maybe if the poems hadn't been so long... Why was most Victorian poetry so lengthy, anyway?

Georgia, that's exactly what I would like to see: a website or database about memorable fashions in novels -- a sort of Hall of Fame, I guess.
    Does this mean I'm subconsciously ravenous?Heh! If you are, I'm there right along with you.

I can hear the tinkle of the bells as the Dothrakis ride -- it's the mention of the Mongolian steppe people that does it for me -- from your description, Georgia; I've never read George R. R. Martin.

Here's a description for Vee, who might especially appreciate it: \[The Senior Prom\] was to be held in May, and not in the school. For the first time in our young lives we were to be exposed to a hotel ballroom, a decent orchestra, and long dresses... It was a trial and tribulation for the student, the parents, and the faculty. We worried about what color it was, the parent worried about how expensive, and the faculty worried about how bare it was. We had been duly warned about modesty and carried a letter home describing the ideal dress. The ideal dress would have a turtleneck, long sleeves, be made of mail, and would undoubtedly be pale pink, pale blue, or white. The fact that Marshall Field did not carry this posed many problems. My mother, in a distinct rut created by other nuns in another generation, found just the perfect dress. There would be no need for any of the nuns to tuck handkerchiefs in my bosom to cover up a decolletage. My dress was white net over white taffeta. It had puffed sleeves, a boat neckline, a cinched waist line and no style. My father took one look and said, "She looks like something out of The Moonstone." "Do you think it needs some color?" Mama asked plaintively. "Either the dress does or she does," Papa answered. He had a nice sense of taste, and this all\-white child of his did not please his aesthetic sense. "Do you think she looks well, Dave?" Mama queried, a sense of lets\-share\-the\-responsibility in her voice. "She looks fine \-\- it's that shroud that makes her look like she's been doused in flour." Ann Landers \[the newspaper advice columnist\] would be hard put to take care of the broken psyches caused by that generation of outspoken parents. from Life With Mother Superior by Jane Trahey
  • ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

I love that book-laugh out loud reading.

How about landscapes? I am fond of paintings of desolate, empty landscapes-my parents have one of a winter marsh somewhere which I have claimed since childhood "when you don't have a big wall anymore..."
    I received my new copy of Daddy Long-Legs and Dear Enemy today and jumped right in-and on the first page found again:
    "Jerusha gazed out across a broad stretch of frozen lawn, beyond the tall iron paling that marked the confines of the asylum, down undulating ridges sprinkled with country estates, to the spires of the village rising from the midst of bare trees."

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

chris, you sound like my husband. He has been known to skim whole sections of nothing but description - which is probably why he loves graphic novels and action thrillers. He also loves audio books, which I can't handle.

There is a poem from HS that I still remember - it was in our Girl Scout handbook. Its image of a cold and barren landscape still stays with me whenever I think of it:

Lonliness is small and cold
    diamonds hard and eons old
    Lonliness is sharp and chill
    Like a cold gray rock on a cold gray hill
    Like (ack I forgot this line!)
    and an eagles cry
    like an empty land and the sea and the sky
    like an time worn track and a weed grown fence
    long since left to the elements

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cece and Cindy, I'm not as good at remembering specific decriptions of landscapes. Oh, on second thought, there's one I recall quite well for the atmosphere it evokes: it is Bram Stoker's very spooky lead-up to Dracula's castle. I read somewhere that Stoker was weirdly accurate about Transylvania environs though he had never actually been there!

I, too, like bleak, desolate landscapes. Well, I like the thought of them when I'm being browbeaten by an oppressing sun and everything is so green, green, green that I get bilious. (I stole that bit of "green" description from the chicken-ranch woman writer who should not be named.) I can't cite specific passages but Willa Cather and Larry McMurtry have both given me shivers of recognition about the wind blowing on cold plains and deserts.

Cindy, do you find that poetry you learned when young has definitely stuck better than the later-read kind? I can't forget:
    The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
    The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
    The road a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor...Hee! Here's some more about clothes, and of the masculine variety -- description enough to make my young heart swoon!He'd a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin,
    A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin;
    They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh!
    And he rode with a jewelled twinkle,
    His pistol butts a-twinkle,
    His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky.And I'm still a sucker for The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

Hey! Wasn't there a passage in Lonesome Dove where a character from Back East arrives on a train and the wind is so fierce that he, and the reader, is scared he may be blown away?

Frieda, a long ago summer I heard The Highwayman performed daily. Baltimore sponsored this lunchtime program at a city plaza where we could ask for any from a long list of poems. The Highwayman was my favorite, and apparently everyone else's.

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

This is the description of a debutante's dress for her coming out ball from Morland Dynasty No 25, The Question:

Jessie's gown was of a delicate pale yellow, in the new long, slender, high-waisted "empire" style that had just come in, which suited her slim, athletic body so well. It was of soft silk crepe-de-Chine with a swathed bodice and short turk's-cap sleeves, which were edged with delicate fringe, embroidered with gilt threads and tiny crystal beads. The skirt was quite plain except for a row of self-coloured silk knots around the hem, but at the back from the high waist fell the deep inverted pleating that gave the wonderful fullness to the skirt behind, so that it made a kind of swirl around her whenever she moved.

All these books are full of both clothing and food descriptions, although I don't always know what they are.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

>Cindy, do you find that poetry you learned when young has definitely stuck better than the later-read kind?

Its hard to say because after college I found I really couldn't get into poetry. That one that I quoted obviously made an impact, and there are others from childhood that I loved (my sis had an anthology of poetry on her shelves that I practically memorized). One poem tho I learned later has still stuck with me - the Auden one read in Four Weddings and a Funeral. I tear up every time I read or hear it.

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wasn't there a passage in Lonesome Dove where a character from Back East arrives on a train and the wind is so fierce that he, and the reader, is scared he may be blown away?
    Chris, I remember that but can't swear that it was in Lonesome Dove, though I figure it was 'cause I've read it so many times. McMurtry is so good with capturing bleakness. Here's the opening paragraphs of The Last Picture Show:Sometimes Sonny felt like he was the only human creature in the town. It was a bad feeling, and it usually came on him in the mornings early, when the streets were completely empty, the way they were one Saturday morning in late November. The night before Sonny had played his last game of football for Thalia High School, but it wasn't that that made him feel so strange and alone. It was just the look of the town.

There was only one car parked on the courthouse square -- the night watchman's old white Nash. A cold norther was singing in off the plains, swirling long ribbons of dust down Main Street, the only street in Thalia with businesses on it. Sonny's pickup was a '41 Chevrolet, not at its best on cold mornings. In front of the picture show it coughed out and had to be choked for a while, but then it started again and jerked its way to the red light, blowing out spumes of white exhaust that the wind whipped away.
    McMurtry, in his low-key way, can put you right there -- smelling the dust, hearing the wind and the sputter of the old truck, and feeling the loneliness of the town. And we readers know this story isn't going to be about the frenzy of modern life. It's a sad little story, in a way, but also humorous in spots, and so darned realistic that I want to cry with nostalgic longing. I've tried to analyze how McMurtry does it with his landscapes -- his style is so deceptively simple. The best I've come up with is that he knows what he's writing because he's lived there (and not just in Thalia).

Carolyn, what's the time period of this book? I'm having trouble seeing the description of that gown. The empire dress\-style came into vogue sometime during Bonaparte's rule, late 1790s to about 1820, I think. But this phrase "which suited her slim, athletic body so well" seems anachronistic for that time, to me. However, the description of the fullness of the back of the dress sounds right \-\- I recall some character in a film (perhaps one of the Austen adaptations) carrying the back part of her dress looped up over her arm. I'm not sure what Turk's\-cap sleeves are \-\- I did a Google search and found the Turk's cap described "as folded back like a monk's hood." Okay, short folded\-back sleeves...hmm, I still can't picture them. I have the first six of the Morland series. I've put off starting them, but I don't know why. I have a feeling I will enjoy them.

One poem tho I learned later has still stuck...

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

Frieda, it's "Stop All the Clocks..." by W.H. Auden. I love it so much I almost have it memorized.

• veer
    17 years ago

Frieda, sorry for the belated reply to your post re the 'Mother Superior' book which I loved, but we have had major computer problems for the past week when this machine threw a sickie . . .corrupt Windows files etc. The older son has replaced the hard drive with a 'borrowed from work' one so still without email addresses etc 'til he can fix it.
    Moral: print out a few essentials and keep in a safe place!
    We don't do 'Senior Proms' in the UK and I think in my day all school dances/get-togethers were never encouraged at school as they might have led to 'mixed marriages' ie a Catholic marrying a 'non-Catholic' . . . a terrible worry to the nuns.
    Your story reminded me of the first chapter in Monica Baldwin's I Leap Over the Wall where MB who entered her convent in 1914 is faced with the clothes of a girl-about-town circa 1942.
    Her habit dated to the 14th century and consisted of a thick long-sleeved shift warn next to the skin. Over this were boned stays with shoulder straps, covered by two serge petticoats 'lashed' round the waist.
    On top was a habit of heavy cloth with a few extra bits and pieces of starched, tucked and pleated cambric.
    MB's sister had brought her a pair of pants and a brassiere plus a suspender belt and stockings. MB's previous stockings had been hand knitted and boiled so often they were 'of a shape and consistency of a Wellington boot'.
    As MB only had a couple of months in which to grow any hair which she says now resembled a moth eaten gollywog her sister brought a hat; it replaced 8 thicknesses of veils, starched cotton and cardboard thickeners.
    MB is worried that she feels naked.
    Her sister, as an Upper Crust no-nonsense English woman has no time for this "If you went about in anything else you'd collect a crowd."

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Frieda, here it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stop all the Clocks

• dido1
    17 years ago

Frieda,

Thanks for info on The Pursuit of Gentlemen. I'll try and follow that up.

Dido

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cindy and Mary, the Auden poem is very effective just in reading it. I will have to view the film again and hear how it is read there.

The poem and its subject reminds me of something -- you know how one thing evokes another; but more about that later.

Vee, good to have you back! Just when you think you and a machine (in this case, a computer) are on the same wavelength...yech! I always feel so betrayed when it acts scornfully. How's that for anthropomorphizing? :\-) I must find Baldwin's I Leap Over the Wall. That habit! Why did the nuns wear stays under their tents? Was it to give 'em better posture or was it some sort of penance? I associate the wearing of stays with vanity and I thought nuns were supposed to eschew that. However... I read a memoir of a slightly more modern nun who also eventually left her order: it's Nun by Mary Gilligan Wong. She entered as a candidate around 1955 and left either in the late 1960s or early 1970s, and there were lots of changes during her years "inside." Two incidents she described have really stuck with me. One was the food they were expected to eat: it was supposed to be sustenance and not to be enjoyed. One girl was allergic to eggs and she vomited every time she had to eat them, yet she was shown no sympathy. The other incident happened shortly before MGW left. It was decided that nuns needed vacations just like anyone else, so a group of them went "on retreat" together. They really let their hair down too (what little they had): they wore shorts, smoked cigarettes, drank jubilantly and unwisely, and gleefully used slang and epithets. After a week of this, they had to get back in character.
  • carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

Frieda, the clothing description was from the 1870s. I questioned the "empire" style, too; but later in the chapter someone's dress was called revival empire, so evidently the style came back. What price, pedal pushers/clam diggers?

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    17 years ago

In the late 70s I was friendly with a former Mother Superior. Together with another pal, we had theatre tickets and would go out for dinner before the shows and drinking at single's places after. Always up for fun, but never wild and crazy. Good person to hit the bars with. Never did get her back story. I always figured she would tell me eventually, but we drifted apart before it happened.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

frieda - I think you said you had seen it before? It was read during Seamus' funeral, by his partner - before folk realized that he was his partner.

• Juliana63
    17 years ago

Laura Ingalls Wilder's descriptions of her clothing led to 19th c styles for my Barbie dolls and a lifelong interest in historic fashion recreations.

Making cheese, watermelon rind pickle, and sourdough starter were also inspired by The Little House Books. Her descriptions of tasting lemonade, eating an orange, and whipping egg whites with a fork for her wedding cake are refreshing reminders of how food was special and difficult to procure. My favorite has to be her description of flicking wasps off warm,ripe, squashed plums in On the Banks of Plum Creek. It always brings Christina Rosetti's Goblin Market to mind.

Currants and gooseberries,
    Bright-fire-like barberries,
    Figs to fill your mouth,
    Citrons from the South,
    Sweet to tongue and sound to eye,
    Come buy, come buy."

33 years ago, I was intrigued by the "turkish delight" Edmund craves from the White Witch in Narnia. When I spotted a box this Christmas, I had to buy it. Alas, I found the fantasy better than the sticky, overly-sweet reality.

Finally, as I recall Scarlett's punchline:
    "I saw it in the window and just had to have it."

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

That was deifinitely Carol Burnett's punchline-

• Juliana63
    17 years ago

Indeed -- I meant the divine Carol B.

• veer
    17 years ago

The Clothes in the Wardrobe by Alice Thomas Ellis has just been done on BBC radio, but I cannot say I have 'read' it myself.
    Alice TE is rather a strange writer who can be 'otherwordly' which doesn't always suite everybody, but if you want descriptions of clothes and sewing/altering they come aplenty in this book.
    Below is a very good write-up from Amazon.uk which sums it up nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Clothes in the Wardrobe

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laura Ingalls Wilder's descriptions of her clothing led to 19th c styles for my Barbie dollsJuliana, I did that too with my Barbie, Midge and Skipper dolls -- well, not with Laura Ingalls Wilder's books but with various other historical-novel clothing descriptions. For some reason I got interested in Helen Herron Taft (President Taft's wife) and was enchanted by a photo of her in an enormous tub of a hat, a frilly shirtwaist, a very wide belt or cummerbund, and a graceful circle skirt cut on the bias. I copied Mrs. Taft's outfit for Barbie and exhibited it in my home ec class. That was fun! Thanks, Juliana, for reminding me.

Cindy, thank you for pinpointing the place to find the Auden poem in the film.

Vee, The Clothes in the Wardrobe is printed in the US as part of The Summerhouse Trilogy. I know what you mean about A. Thomas Ellis's "otherworldliness," and that's why I tend to prefer her nonfiction, the four (or five?) volumes of "Home Life" and A Welsh Childhood. I have a signed copy of the latter. I didn't have much actual dealing with Ms Haycraft: I just remember her as curiously ethereal and seemingly vague, an impression at odds with those who knew her well, apparently. Her family stories remind me of Elisabeth Luard's, in a way -- they both had tragedies concerning their children.

• veer
    17 years ago

Frieda, can you hear the grinding of teeth? Just tried to post something about A TE and Luard and the screen was over-come with a stupid all singing-all talking advert and my words of wisdom disappeared into the ether! Our computer is without all the necessary backups and am still lacking email addresses etc.
    I had wanted to say I have on order from the library A Thomas Elllis' Fish Flesh and Good Red Herring all about food, meals, eating from early days etc. Does anyone know it?

I have read Elis. Luard's Family Life detailing the travels round out-of-the-way areas of Europe in which they lived, giving the recipes for both primitive and grand meals cooked, bringing up and educating a family . . . and the sad and untimely death of her daughter.
    She seems a tougher gal that A TE, in that she chose to live in these backward areas, whereas A TE seems rather to have floated into her hard Welsh hillside life.

Although I don't want to dwell on tragedies within families, I'm reminded of the writer Roald Dahl and all the sadness/difficulties that haunted several of his children plus living with the illness of his film-actress wife Pat Neal.
    I wonder how/if they enter the unconscious mind when writing and have perhaps made for the 'darkness' of some of his stories?

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vee, I know I have a copy of Fish, Flesh and Good Red Herring, but danged if I can find it -- my cookery and food history books are in disarray and they tend to migrate all over the house. I recall that its subtitle is A Gallimaufry and I had to look up the meaning of that -- hodgepodge is a synonym. I like the quaintness of gallimaufry.

Re Roald Dahl: In his memoir, Boy, he related how the death of his sister (of diphtheria or a childhood disease) affected his parents and himself. Evidently this daughter was the father's favorite child and young Roald felt survivor's guilt while knowing that his father could not love him as much. If he didn't have a predisposition for "darkness," I imagine that was rather enough to send him in that direction, plus, as you say, all the problems he had with his wife's illness and their children. Once again, though, while I found his autobiography very interesting and I've liked some of this short stories -- the one about the leg of lamb is a classic -- I never really enjoyed his fiction or children's books, though the off-kilter, often dark humor of the latter tickled my older son especially.

The Auden poem mentioned above and now the discussion of A. Thomas Ellis, E. Luard, and Roald Dahl has reminded me of a passage of a book that I can't place -- or it's possibly a short story or part of a memoir. Here's the way I remember it; and if it rings a bell with anyone, please identify it for me!
    A young woman (probably in her late teens or early twenties) is dealing with the grief caused by the death of her beloved grandfather. But as bad as she feels, she wonders how his death is affecting her grandmother who was married to him for over fifty years; so she visits her grandmother to check out how she's doing.

The girl finds her grandmother surprisingly serene and willing to talk about her husband. She relates anecdotes of the young man he once was, how he loved his children and adored his grandchildren, and how all-in-all they had a wonderful marriage. Then g-mother drops a bombshell: she reveals that grandpa was her second husband and that her first husband had died only a short while after their wedding.

The girl is astonished but very curious and ventures to ask g-mother about her first husband. G-mother's face softens and registers a far-off expression as she tells her granddaughter that he was handsome, funny, gentle, very silly sometimes and exasperatingly stubborn, and she loved him, she thought, more than life itself. But he died and she had to continue living. G-mother became silent and the girl tried to digest that her grandfather, basically, was not the love of her grandmother's life that she thought. She blurted out, "But you loved grandpa, too; didn't you?"

The old woman smiled and said, "Of course. Your grandfather and I had children together, we were married for over a half-century, and we shared heartaches, joys, and so much. If your grandfather and I hadn't...

• Kath
    17 years ago

Frieda, that's a lovely story. I have always liked the candle and flame analogy for love. You can use one candle to light another but the first flame is not diminished in any way. Love indeed multiplies.

• annpan
    17 years ago

Friedag, thanks for the Carol Burnett info. I recalled that skit from the mention of the curtain rods! What a strange thing the memory is, I sometimes have to check to see if I have just done something but can recall bits of a film, book or show seen for over sixty years! I meant to write my thanks earlier but have had back problems after a long train trip and could not sit at the computer for a while.

• veer
    17 years ago

The Carol Burnett show used to be the only thing worth watching on TV during the time I spent in Canada . . .many years ago.

Sorry, Frieda, no ideas for your half remembered 'plot'.
    We English don't do love and romance very well (too screwed up I suppose) except for the lightweight Hugh Grant films or Barbara Cartland type of pink froth. And I expect you all knew BC was the step Grandmother of the late Diana PofW; enough to make the best of us go doolally.
    Re Roald Dahl, after years of caring for his wife and her eventual recovery he left her and married her best friend (who had also cared for the wife). I don't think this part of his life came up in his second bio after Boy, Going Solo but I know of eg's where after years of devotion to a sick loved-one, it seems the energy of the relationship runs out when that person recovers . . . maybe the carer feels once the caring has stopped their role is diminished.

• ccrdmrbks
    17 years ago

DS is reading selections of Pepys' diary in English lit-the sedcription of his wife's petticoat-silver lace-and how he fould her clothes all about the bedchamber and was vexed with her...but took himself out to buy a green watered moire for a morning waistcoat-even in the London Fire he mentions his nightgown.

• norcal_at_heart
    17 years ago

''He'd a French cocked-hat on his forehead, a bunch of lace at his chin,
    A coat of the claret velvet, and breeches of brown doe-skin;
    They fitted with never a wrinkle: his boots were up to the thigh!
    And he rode with a jewelled twinkle,
    His pistol butts a-twinkle,
    His rapier hilt a-twinkle, under the jewelled sky.

And I'm still a sucker for The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes.''

In my English class two years ago we had to read The Highwayman and I loved it. I really like ballads-that's why my favorite bands are all celtic rock or country-and that's why I like old style poetry like this one.
    My current favorite poetry book is called Bronx Masquerade, by Nikki Grimes. one of the best descriptions in there is:
    "She tiptoed in, late / and limping, her cheek /as raw as red-brown meat."
    such a sad poem.

• friedag
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We English don't do love and romance very well (too screwed up I suppose) except for the lightweight Hugh Grant films or Barbara Cartland type of pink froth.Vee, I disagree. I think English writers have given the world some of the best romances -- Daphne of course, the Brontes, Jane Austen; and I can read Galsworthy's "The Apple Tree" over and over and cry every time (and I love the film adaptation of it called "A Summer Story").

I'm fond of several British romantic comedies, including "Getting It Right" (from Elizabeth Jane Howard's novel). That's the one with Helena Bonham Carter as the very unladylike Lady Minerva Munday, Lynn Redgrave as the seductive older woman, and Jane Horrocks as the junior hairdresser, all of whom are willing to teach poor Gavin -- a hairdresser in his thirties, still living with his parents, and still a virgin -- a thing or two. Gavin's mother cracks me up when she learns that Gavin knows a girl who has a title and is impressed even before she meets Minerva.

If I thought about it longer, I know I could come up with many other English examples of love and romance. You've got to remember, Vee, that we Americans think the English are exotic.

Cece, I adore the libidinous Pepys, though his Elizabeth must have found living with him sorely trying at times. I relish all his clothes descriptions, and he was very good with food, too. I've never managed to read his diary all the way through \-\- I always get sidetracked \-\- but I've dipped in and out of it for years.

Norcal, I'm with you about the ballads -- one of my favorites is "Whiskey in the Jar" -- ooh, that Molly (or Jenny, in some versions) and her chamber!

I'm not familiar with Nikki Grimes, but her cheek/as raw as red-brown meat...now that is descriptive. What's the poem about?

• veer
    17 years ago

We have an old copy of Pepys diaries (edited) illustrated by the wonderful Ernest Shepherd who did the 'Wind in the Willows' and the A A Milne books so beautifully.
    Has anyone read The Journal of Mrs Pepys by Sara George? It looks at the same incidents in the diary from Elizabeth's point-of-view.

Well Frieda, I laughed to think anyone could find the English exotic. Nothing could be further from the truth as you well know!
    As I didn't want to admit that I have never read any Galsworthy (although I did 'watch' the Forsyte Saga on TV when it first came out in '67) I found an online copy of The Apple Tree and read it there and then.
    It didn't bring a tear to my hardened English eye but I enjoyed the descriptions of the Devonshire countryside and the very Victorian/Edwardian 'feeling' . . . the educated young men and their unconscious superiority to the 'simple' country folk. And wouldn't it be nice to spend time in a world where it was properly dark at night and there was no sound of planes, traffic or TV/music?
    Read and enjoy the story below while I pop into my baggy tweeds, polish my pearls and share the aged furniture with my smelly labradors.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Apple Tree by John Galsworthy

• teacats
    17 years ago

The English certainly do wonderful stories -- Mrs. Miniver -- is a film that could make anyone cry .....

The "Ghost & Mrs. Muir" -- another wonderful movie ....

How about "The Clandestine Marriage" for a few laughs in a movie ...

Or how about Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet for tears?

As for tears and romance -- just listen to Loreena McKennitt's song "The Highwayman" -- and get out a hanky or two ....

• kathy_t
    17 years ago

Read and enjoy the story below while I pop into my baggy tweeds, polish my pearls and share the aged furniture with my smelly labradors.

Vee - You crack me up!! "LOL out loud," as Mr. Monk would say. -- Kathy T

• annpan
    17 years ago

Vee, what have you done with your much-washed, handknitted pure wool twin-set?

• veer
    17 years ago

annpan, it's in the dog's basket. I now wear the old khaki shirts my husband had made by his tailor prior to joining his cavalry regiment in 1939; plenty of wear left in them. For Women's Institute meetings I don a woolly jersey that my daily woman (the gardener's wife) brought from home to use as a duster.
    If you think I look rough you should see my husband.
    Egg down his old school tie, thread-bare Harris tweeds, several buttons missing from both waistcoat and flies and a handkerchief that doubles as a Land Rover wiper-down and a specs' cleaner.
    Of course out in the huntin' field we are beautifully turned out. Never a speck of dust on the polished boots and well-brushed toppers. Mustn't let that townie-bounder Blair think he can control our lives.

• annpan
    17 years ago

What a good idea, storing the twin-set in the dog's basket. If they come back into fashion, your daily can give it a good wash so that you can wear it again. Those things are indestructible. Speaking of dogs and this is a true story, when I retired to Australia, I took my Cavalier King Charles spaniel girl too, of course. After collecting her from quarantine, I took her for a walk to show her the nearby park. She refused to go until I realised that I was not wearing my long Dannimac coat as usual. So, with the temperature in the 80's or more, that is how it has to be done! I tell astounded non-dog-owners that it keeps me from being bitten by insects... dog lovers would understand!

• rottenlivia
    17 years ago

Dear veer,

I enjoyed your reference to Laura I. Wilder's Farmer Boy. My favorites were the food descriptions in By The Shores of Silver Lake and The Long Winter. The first for the descriptions of the general store they wintered over for the owner. The barrels of pickles and meats, crackers and tins of food. The way she described the Oyster feast when her mom discovered the tin of Oysters. Also, in The Long Winter, the season of summer winding down and the simple recipes of home made cottage cheese with onions, pickling and canning, green pumpkin pie masquerading as apple.
    As far as garments, well, what I loved was the description of the store they moved into in town. The cleaning and hanging the curtains. Braided rugs going down and finally the twisting of the hay into 'sticks'.....I want to read them now! It's cold and it fits.
    Thanks for making me remember!
    Kim

• carolyn_ky
    17 years ago

Kim, I read The Long Winter one cold winter night just before wrapping it for my daughter for a Christmas gift. I nearly froze solid.

• rottenlivia
    17 years ago

:)) Carolyn ky!!

I know what you mean. But isn't it a great book? On The Banks of Plum Creek, when Pa is stranded in a snow bank until the weather clears and mom and the girls are waiting, waiting.... how about the Christmas Barrel? The turkey, cranberries in newspaper, mittens and muffs, dresses and suspenders. What really made me cold was the awful mother who put her up when she had her first teaching assignment. Cold woman! Poor little kid. Would I have been so brave during those long sleigh rides if I knew I was returning to that? Freezing on the couch while the woman with the knife fights with her husband. OOOOhhhhh, I don't think her mother would have like that. ..I wish I still had my copies.
    Kim