SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberry_gw

Confused about soil pH

blueberry
18 years ago

We have just got some asparagus roots (which need alkaline soil) and blueberry bushes (need acid) to plant in the garden, so for the first time I have had to start paying attention to our soil pH. I have just bought one of those probes with the 2 long prongs on and used it but I am very confused by the results.

Most of the readings are about 4-5, then I get the occasional 8 and a few 7s. This can all be within the same 20cm of soil. I am following the instructions on the packet for the meter.

The majority of the readings are very acid, which suprises me greatly as we have a very heavy clay soil naturally.

I suppose the vegetable garden actually in the main has beuatiful crumbly relatively light soil and has had loads of garden compost and fertiliser added over the years (thanks to the previous owners who were very keen gardeners) and is almost always watered by the rain or from a water barrel.

Are these electrical pH meters accurate?

I was expecting before i tested the soil to add a touch of line before planting the asparagus, and to have to keep the blueberrries either in pots, or devise some sort of raised bed with ericacious compost in - but maybe i don't. I will be very upset though if I do plant out the blueberries and they die from being in the wrong soil as they were jolly expensive. Wouls I get lots of warning they weren't happy with the soil, ie laves changing colour, or would they just not crop or suddenly die?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Sorry it was so long!

Comments (4)