SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

Outstanding Stand-Alone Mysteries

friedag
17 years ago

The mystery genre is particularly prone to series. Who do we have to blame for that: Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie... publishers who want a guaranteed audience? Well, that's okay: it's sort of like eating at McDonald's in that you know what you are getting and it's usually edible, though often unexciting and probably not particularly good for you. The first three, maybe four, books in a series are often quite good, but then the quality starts going downhill. However, sometimes there will be an outstanding later entry -- The Hound of the Baskervilles comes to mind -- and you don't necessarily have to read everything that came before it to enjoy it immensely.

I can't think of very many stand-alone mysteries, particularly excellent ones that haven't been co-opted for series expansion. That's why I'm asking you mystery readers if you know of some.

I think the stand-alones were once more common than they are nowadays. A.A. Milne's The Red House Mystery was one-of-a-kind for its author, as far as I know.

Writers who normally depend upon on a returning cast, or use a particular setting or timeframe, sometimes pen a unique-for-them mystery -- Martin Cruz Smith's Rose is a historical mystery set in a time and locale far different from his thrillers.

I'll even entertain really good first-in-the-series mysteries, as long as they aren't obvious setups -- a problem with Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs novels, I think.

Comments (32)