SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reillyoz007

Toms - What have I done wrong?

reillyoz007
18 years ago

I decided this year to grow some tomato plants from seed. Read all the helpful information here and thought it wouldn't be too difficult(hah!). Planted the seeds (freebie mixed heirloom varieties from Diggers) using Debco Seed Raising Mix and up they came, not a problem. Looked wonderful.

Transplanted them when they got their first set of true leaves into smallish pots (maybe 7cm diameter) using Dynamic Lifter Potting Mix. Lots of lovely little roots and no wilting at all after transplanting. Still looking good.

Three weeks later they look awful - poor sad looking little specimens. Transplanted them on the weekend using more Dynamic Lifter P/Mix thinking maybe they needed bigger pots. Still lots of lovely roots, not at all rootbound, just saw them when some of the potting mix fell away. The tops just look terrible though - I can't imagine them growing into healthy producing bushes.

Some of my thoughts - have I mucked around with them too much by not putting them straight into the ground where they were going to go? I haven't fed them at all either. They are also outside and fairly exposed to the elements and it's been rather windy.

Any help appreciated and Many Thanks.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery