SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghotib

'Native' Lavender and new soil questions

ghotib
17 years ago

New poster here, with new garden soil behind new retaining walls over highly reactive clay near the Cooks River in Sydney. The highly reactive clay plus some amateur plumbing work by a previous owner led to repairs on the house and foundations which completely destroyed the front garden. The only plant to survive (apart from a vast supply of onion weed) is a mature Crepe Myrtle, which I intend to keep even though all the new plants will be natives.

After all that preamble, I'm hoping someone can tell me what people mean when they talk about "Native Lavender". I asked at a general nursery and was told it was something like Lavender Mona, but when I googled around for that the closest thing I could find appears to be a Lavendula variety that originates in Europe like all the others. I haven't found any Australian Lavendula plants, so I'm guessing that this "Native" lavender is either not native or not lavender.

Does anyone know? Or can anyone suggest a real native plant with similar characteristics - grey foliage and lavender coloured flowers with lavender scent - that would be happy in new soil over clay with a generous helping of cement.

Oh dear!!!

Thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions