SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roe12_gw

Questions about watering Iceberg roses, Lavender in SoCal

Roe12
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm in major need of help with my garden. I've read tons of articles, watched youtube videos, etc. but all the advice from "experts" seems to differ, so I want to ask you because I'm hoping to save my garden!

My details:
-Southern California
-Clay soil
-North facing garden (sunny 8+ hours/day)
-Magnolia tree canopy provides a small amount shade, however, so some plants underneath don't grow as quickly

Questions:

Iceberg Roses -
1. I have 10 iceberg rose plants...how many times per week do I water them, and how long? I had been doing every other night, but I think it's too much. They're on a drip...should it be 3x/week while it's 80 degrees, 5x/week while it's 90, and every day if it's above 100?
2. How much water per iceberg rose bush, per time? 1 gallon?

Lavender -
1. I have lavender bushes planted, and while they're growing, the flowers are all dead/greyish-brown. Can I prune these plants? I've read not to, but I'd like the purple to come back. If I can prune them, how do I do it gently?
2. How many times per week, and how much water each time, should I be giving the lavender?

Azalea's -
1. I have a few azalea's, but they haven't grown much since being planted 4 years ago. In fact, they've never bloomed. I also watered these every other night, I'm guessing that is too much? Should I take these off the drip and hand water them? Is once per week enough, or more?

And lastly, what TIME of day is best? My neighbor says after sun goes down but before midnight since it's too cold otherwise. Another neighbor says in the morning about 7am.

I am so confused at this point and would like to save this garden. Any advice would be much appreciated!

This post was edited by Roe12 on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 19:43

Comments (7)