SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
programmer_gw

Old Japanese maple needs help

Programmer
19 years ago

My question comprises two parts. I have inherited an old (so I'm told) Japanese Maple (clueless regarding the specifics except its about 2.5/3 mts tall and a trunk girth of about 45-60 cm??). It it looking very sad and its condition includes:

a) Leaves brown at the tips

b) Lots of branch die back. Some bare and very brittle, others bare for most of their length with some new(er) shoots closer to the trunk.

c) Holes (sort of large borer-like) and bark being stripped off - underneath I occassionally find a worm-like white larvae?

d) Ants up and down the tree in a reasonably constant stream (are these two working together?)

I'd like to try to save this tree since I believe its about 70 years old (verified by previous, and previous-previous property owners) and quite pretty (well, when OK...). Maybe the specific variety just dies around this age?

First question:

Can/should I do anything immediately to assist it in some small way?

Second:

Can anyone point me towards someone who knows what they are doing? I'm in Bentleigh, Vic (South East of CBD). There are obviously arborists about, but I really would like someone I can 'trust' to give me a professional opinion I can count on, since I know absolutely zip about Maples.

Any resources (websites, names, etc would be much appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus