SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Grevillea Experiment : high P fertilisers

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

Following the vigourous debate incurred in the 'Rainforest Plants and Fertilisers' thread, I resolved to conduct an experiment of my own. Of the 4 grevillea I purchased at Rocky markets this morning, two now reside in an extremely hostile position alongside Syzygium Cascade, Pandorea (Jasminoides and Pandorana) and several exotics such as Ixora. I say hostile for two reasons :

- the Rocky sun has already turned several Ixora to charcoal, and even the lillipillies have looked a bit secondhand at times

- there is residual fertiliser in the soil, both from the previous occupants *bizarre* collection of weedy exotics and my own bumbling efforts

The two sacrificial lambs are 'Ned Kelly' and 'Coconut Ice' - both share a common parentage, and both can be found at nurseries up and down the East Coast. I couldnt bring myself to consign my other 2 purchases to (almost) certain death, so these will have to suffice. From the ASGAP site:

'Grevillea "Ned Kelly" is one of several popular hybrids which have a similar parentage. It is a cross between the Queensland species G.banksii and the Western Australian species G.bipinnatifida. Others with these same parents include G."Robyn Gordon" (probably the best known and most popular of all Grevillea cultivars), G."Superb" and G."Coconut Ice". All are bushy, medium shrubs with large racemes of reddish flowers.' ( http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/g-nedke1.html )

I'll give them two weeks and some seaweed emulsion to bed in, then begin applying the following at monthly intervals:

1. Blood and Bone - should be fine

2. Organic Xtra - apparently 'suitable for natives' : hope so. Hasnt hurt my lillipillies, but they arent proteas ..

3. Osmocote Plus (Garden Beds) - NPK 16:*4.4*:10 - if this doesnt kill them, I will have to eat my words and a large does of humble pie.

3.5 months from late Jan will put us into May - still warm enough in Rocky for the sun to force the Osmocote to begin releasing its payload. Even if we have to wait until August ('Spring' happened on a Wednesday in Rocky last year ..), it wont be long before we see a result.

Why the gradual introduction of a high NPK fertliser ? Firstly, I dont think its overly fair to the Grevillea to just hit them with this straight up (admittedly, the amount of residual fertiliser may make this a moot point), and I'd also like to condition my lillipillies - I dont want to lose them as a side-effect. Those who havent seen 'Cascade' wont know what they are missing out on - highly reccomended.

Scientifically, this is a woeful experiment. We dont have anything resembling lab conditions, but it does conform to the pattern where a newbie gardener sticks a Proteaceae in with their other plants, then proceeds to feed and water it to death. I am fortunate to have superb drainage on my side, but I remain pessimistic re the chances of the two candidates. My nurseryman has assured me that Osmocote will see them begin to burn from the tips, and that...

Comments (30)

Sponsored
More Discussions