SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trish_g_gw

Low-phosphorus fertilisers

trish_g
18 years ago

Phew! That query about rainforest fertilisers did open an interesting can of worms, so I thought I'd start a new one with a question I've wondered about.

My understanding is that special "native" (low phosphorus) fertilisers are only necessary on plants which grow "proteiod" extensions on their roots, to enable them better to use the little quantity of naturally available phosphorus in "typical" Australian soil (whatever that is). These plants include the proteaceae (with the possible exception of Persoonias?) and Casuarinas, I think. Perhaps they also include some Epacridaceae, but I know little about these. According to my thoery, all other native plants should be quite happy with the amounts of phosphorus in "normal" fertilisers???

However, I suspect that there's a complication in that a little Proteaceous plant will only grow the proteiod extensions if it finds its soil to be low in the stuff. Therefore if fed fertiliser with high phosphorus from an early age it will not grow the extensions, will tolerate that kind of fertiliser well, it will continue to need it (all its life?). On the other hand, plants which have grown up in low-phosphorus soil would have well-developed proteoid roots, and would pig out to the point of being poisoned if given normal fertiliser.

Any comments on this theory? (and please use all the science you please, as authority may not have covered the topic.)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions