SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wollemia_tc

wild citrus

wollemia_TC
13 years ago

Many experts offer the opinion that the common garden citruses are all cultivated varieties of the same species, with the possible exception of cumquats and pomelos. Seed raised plants are considered substandard and ignored, but with the rising use of citrus fruits in cooking, perhaps they need to be reviewed. I have on my Gold Coast Hinterland property two such plants producing fruit. One has fruit that look like an overgrown cumquat, that taste like a cross between a cumquat and a mandarin. The other looks and tastes like a cross between a grapefruit and an orange. They are not good eating in their natural state.

My wife is an excellent cook with a willingness to experiment. She has made many delicious dishes using these b**tard fruits in preference to eating citruses, but tonight she should have won the Nobel prize for cooking, if there was one. She cooked duck a l'orange, but using one of each of the above instead of conventional orange. It was better than any professional duck a l'orange I have ever tasted.

I think our plant breeders should take another look at the b**tards of the citrus family, and try to develope special citrus fruits for cooking.

PS apologies for the asterisks, but garden web would not accept the unedited words

Comments (2)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals
More Discussions