SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

In search of the definitive Aussie style

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

Several magazine articles lament the lack of a single, definitive 'Australian' style of garden, but I think they are missing the point. Our gift lies in our ability to fuse a number of influences to create a haven in our backyards, IMO.

Looking at the photo of Dennis Hundscheidt standing in the doorway of his Bali 'room' (Sunday Mail, 5th Feb 2006), I was struck by how very Australian it all seemed. Admittedly, it could have been Hawaii (or Indonesia, or Thailand, or South America, or ..), and there werent a lot of Aussie natives in the frame, but it was the closest thing to 'Eden' right here in Oz for mine. I'm not looking for an argument re Dennis' garden, but I do believe that the tropical ideal epitomised by Dennis, Made Widaya and several other designers really does go a long way toward defining an Aussie garden style. It may not be as readily identifiable as a Provence or Meditteranean garden, but the 'tropical cottage look' really is a Western invention, and I think it has been refined by Aussies to the point where we can have a relaxed, 'liveable' garden which is (relatively) low maintenance and spectacular all year round.

I'm not decrying cottage or bush gardens - I love them both - but I believe a good tropical garden can fuse several styles together (even to the point of including some formal elements) without it appearing to be a random mishmash of styles. Colour and form, enclosure and open space, winding paths and overhead canopy, water and privacy - what Aussie gardener doesnt crave all of these ? How many gardens stand purely on the strength of their foliage, regardless of season or prevailing weather conditions ?

Just my two cents worth, and I realise that I may be preaching to the choir :)

Cheers,

Artie

Comments (20)