SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyduckworth

What is your definition of 'a herb'?

Daisyduckworth
14 years ago

I share the opinion of many experts that a herb is accurately described as 'any plant form which may be useful to mankind, whether it be for culinary, medicinal, pest-control, cosmetic, aromatic or practical purposes (such as shelter, making of musical instruments, or for clothing)'. We can add to this list the use of some plants to obtain dyes, and of other plants to obtain deadly poisons. Many plant forms are not restricted to one or the other purpose to mankind - eg. the Elder tree provides food products, has medicinal and cosmetic uses, is used to make wooden toys and has some use in pest-control in the garden.

A herb can take a variety of forms. It may be a product of the sea (Bladderwrack), it may be a tiny ground-hugging plant (Thyme), or a large tree (Bay) or a fungus (mushroom). Or anything in between.

This description could probably be added to! To me 'herb' is a very broad 'umbrella term' indeed. It encompasses all plant foods, including fruits, nuts, vegetables, grasses......

There are some people who describe herbs simply as 'food flavourings'; some describe herbs as 'health supplements', and there are probably just as many other descriptions as there are herbs (about 20000!).

So - how would YOU define 'a herb'?

I promise not to get offended if you don't agree with me!

Comments (20)