SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistymorn_gw

What do I do Next.

mistymorn
18 years ago

Never having grown a climbing rose before I am not sure what to do next, my Westerland climber has grown like crazy in the past two weeks since we got some rain and has started flowering, here was I under the impression that climbers dont flower the first season though mine have, maybe different ones do. This is the second flush on these Westerland roses planted in July, and the left one is sprouting laterals ( is that the right word ) everywhere.

On some web-sites they state dont prune climbers for 2-3 years others say prune a 1/3 every year so what do I do with this 6 month old one. Do I prune off half of those sticking up in the air and loose the flowers or do I try and tie them down and what about those sticking out at the bottom left side there is not enough give in them to tie to the arch I have tried but they feel as though they would break off as they are heading for the decking not the arch.

{{gwi:2112149}}
Most of the growth is coming from the rose on the left, the one on the right is a way behind with no new shoots down the bottom and bare half the way up they are both treated the same though the difference between the two is very noticeable I wonder if it will ever catch up. So do I prune a bit dont prune or what ??

Looking forward to some help here Thanks in advance:.....Cheers..MM.

{{gwi:2112150}}

Comments (26)

Sponsored