SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trillium15_gw

what do I do next?

trillium15
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been reading all the threads on tomatoes, which I'm growing from seed for the first time this year. Got some seeds in a trade and thought why not.

I think after reading all the threads on what to do and what not to do, I've done it all wrong, and now I'm not sure what to do next.

I started them in peat pots (An apparent no-no)

When they got about 4" high and had their 2nd set of true leaves, I transplanted the peatpots into 3" high, 6" deep containers. I raised the growlights to accomodate their height, but they are a bit leggy. There is about 3" of stalk before the first set of true leaves and in some it's more like 5" before the leaves. I had to move them to make room for other periennials I'm growing under lights so I moved them to a table in a spare bedroom that gets sunlight most of the day. I stalked the leggy ones with popsicle sticks and they seem to be doing ok. At first I was watering them on the top of the peat pots and then they were in standing water (Another apparent no-no!) Now that they are potted up in pro mix, I only water every other day.

Should I water them from the bottom of the tray, only what they drink in the first 5 min and dump the rest? Or water them from the top of the pots?

Should I be fertilizing them now? Or waiting until I transplant them to their final resting place outside?

How do you know when they are ready to be potted up to the next sized pot? (I know some people dont' feel they need potting up, but I'd like to do it...I have the time, the promix and I enjoy it)

When should I give them a stake? I found small 1' bamboo stakes that have swirls on them for climbers like passionflowers and thought maybe I should put those in the pots but when? And do they need something so elaborate or will a straight wooden stake be better?

I'm not looking for mass tomato production. Just a few different varieties I'm growing to try out in fresh salsa, on burgers and to feed the kids. So I'm happy with whatever they produce. I dont' want to go to a lot of trouble baby'ing them since I spend all my free time doing that with my periennials.

And my thoughts on the squirrels? I keep them fed with corn from the deer feeder and organic pbutter (I don't feed them commercial p.b as it has sugar and hydrogenated oils...I'd hate to give one of these cuties a heart attack or high cholesterol). My theory is give them an alternative food source and they will stay away from other things. It worked for the mice in our house. I gave them piles of grass seed outside the shed...haven't seen a mouse in the house for almost a year! So far it's been good for the deer and my periennials :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions on what to do next!

Comments (2)