SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ron_waldo84

What do I do next with my St. Augustine?

ron
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My St. Augustine sod was laid about 4 weeks ago. Although I am far from knowing what I am talking about, I think the grass is doing pretty well. I have a couple question about what I should do next.

I live in Savannah, GA and we have had a lot of rain in the past week. It has rained almost everyday for the past 7-8 days.

Here is what I have done so far to my 500sqft yard.

-Applied milo at bag rate day of install, then again 2 weeks later.

-Applied fungicide a couple days after install (READ BELOW)

-Applied 10lbs of cornmeal 2 weeks after install

#1) What do I do to control the fungus?

I want to start moving to an organic program, however, I applied a fungicide a couple days after I laid the sod (I was uneducated and didn't realize there is beneficial fungus)

#2) At what height should I mow with a manual reel mower?

I've been reading conflicting advice. Some say to mow at 3.5 - 4" to promote deep roots. Others say to mow at 2.5" to promote a more dense turf. Which one is it? Right now I am currently mowing at about 3"

#3) What pest control products can I use?

It's the South and we have lots of bugs. My biggest concern is fire ants, grubs, fleas and ticks. As of now I have only noticed fleas and ticks in the yard. I have a bag of spectracide triazicide that the sod company gave me, but will this damage the soil like I accidentally did with the fungicide?

#4) Is there anything I can do about my dogs urine killing the grass?

Attached is a couple pics of how the grass is doing so far.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (9)