SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbnjl

New Homeowner & Not so good with plants and stuff.

bbnjl
13 years ago

Hello all, my forewarning--I'm about tell you practically my life story (just kidding) and my gardening ambitions... I hope you'll all bear with me!

I'm a new homeowner who has a full time job and never seemingly enough time to do anything else. I recently finished renovations and landscaping so now I'm toying with ideas about how to make the front and back lawns nicer.

My front yard consists of two decent sized patches that I want to grow some grass on. We've dug up all the old roots and (dead) grass that was already there, and have toss some Kentucky Bluegrass seed on top. I've watered it fairly religiously, as I read that grass seeds should practically be drowned.

The issue: Birds have eaten away a lot of the seed. I do see some grass sprouting here and there, but there are large patches where I see either a) nothing/dirt, or b) clover shaped green plants which I assume are weeds. I tossed the seeds in probably mid August, so I am happy to see that some have grown out (nearly 6-7 inches tall!), but only a few strands here and there. Should I just dig everything up again and start all over in hopes that I will have a nice green lawn by next Spring? Is there anyway to fix it now?

I am very much against planting any bushes/trees/flowers, etc.. into the actual soil, because I am very busy and have no experience in gardening--so I am hoping to decorate my outdoor space with potted flowers, potted trees, and stuff like that.

Are there any trees that could withstand an NYC winter? I can move plants indoors if needed, but of course it would be greatly convenient if I didn't have to. Also, I'd like to plant some flowers for a prettier color, but don't want to worry about having to water them more than 2x a week. Can anyone suggest any easy to maintain but gorgeous flora for me?

My last question of the day is in regards to an Aloe plant that I had acquired late April. It has actually grew a lot since it's first days in my home. Unfortunately, it took me a while to get it into a bigger pot; it's original leaves eventually grew so long! I believe I finally got a chance and repotted it just a month ago, I hope I didn't wait too long! I noticed (even before I potted it) that a couple of the newer leaves (the ones sprouting out from the center) are droopy and not as vibrant green as I remember it to be. I also noticed it hasn't grown any pups yet, and am not sure how long before that's supposed to happen. I've read that these plants thrive on neglect, but still I tried to water it 2-3 times a month. I gave it cactus soil when I repotted it. I sit it in my brightest room during the day, but it never gets direct sunlight. Also, in case it matters, it went from a flower shop plastic pot into a Ceramic pot with the drain hole on the bottom. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing anything wrong? I never thought I'd grow a sentiment toward a plant, but I really want to save this thing, assuming it needs/can be saving/saved.

Thanks in...

Comments (3)