SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Get your kids into the garden !

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

Artie here with a simplistic, 1950s approach to building a better society. While I dont completely buy into the argument that propping children in front of the playstation is responsible for all of society's ills, I do think that *some* of the little misfits might benefit from time spent nurturing life in an organic, natural setting.

This ties in with some of the ideas raised in the 'urban sprawl' thread, but I dont see it as being limited to those of us with 1/4 acre+ blocks. If you have ever seen the stories on the productive garden at the base of one of Melbourne's hideous public housing 'projects', you will know that anything is possible if people want it badly enough. Jeremy from GA also did a story on the residents of a tiny 'alley' in Sydney who enlisted the aid of the council to ban vehicles from their street so that they could line it with pots containing some amazing plants - people power at its best. Even a small herb garden or a Bonsai starter kit might make that crucial difference in attitude between adolescents who give a damn and those who throw their Maccas container into the creek ...

No, I dont have any children of my own, and I dont have all the answers when it comes to raising anyone else's gangsta rappers. My guess is that it is too late by the age of 12, but that still leaves us with a large group of todays kids who might just make tomorrow's world a little greener for everyone.

(fade to riotous applause and the people's ovation...)

Thanks - I'm here all week.

Artie, Iron Gardener Australian

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions