SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dead_easy

Kikuyu - Root barrier

dead_easy
18 years ago

Hey all new to the forum and fairly new to this gardening caper (3-4yrs), and I've got a question about Kikuyu.

I moved into a property about three years ago now and moved into a place with an almost carpet of (what i thought at the time) beautiful green grass with a few metres worth garden beds pretty much around the edges of the garden.

I'm a big fan of Pete Cundall dead easy gardeing videos and have learnt from him to plant in soil that has lots of compost, manure, and so forth. So when I planted some new plants in existing garden beds i have Cundalled them up and the plants are great when i can see them ! The plants have loved my treatment but so has the Kikuyu ! Its gone crazy ! it grows better in the beds than in the lawn.

So far I am experimenting in one section on how to get rid of it. I have layed lots of old newspaper down like a newspaper at a go and all overlapping, then manure, then i think a red gum mulch about 1o cms thick.

Those of you with Kikuyu will know what Im going thro cause despite all this it has come back just as strong, one good thing it has taken two months to come back instead of one but thats the only plus after spending about $150 on one garden bed.

Anyway it was suggested that I use a product which is 30 cm deep and you place it into the soil and its called root barrier, my concern is , is that deep enough and is there anything else I can do? ie organic remdies other than round up or such, cause the kikuyu infests itself into the plants roots and all ?

So I would love any advice any one had on the matter?

Has anyone had success with this product before ?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions