SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernspen3

Will root barriers keep neighboring poplar roots out of my life?

bernspen3
8 years ago

I'm trying to garden in an urban back yard (Brooklyn) that's narrow but long (14' x 60'). On the far side of my next door neighbor's back yard (~14 feet from my fence) there are three huge poplars in a very small space, like 8 feet apart - don't know what species. There was a 4th poplar, also in the neighbors' yard, that they chopped down a few years ago, causing tons of root suckers to shoot up in my yard. (I'm sure it's all basically a single malevolent organism).

I've spent an entire summer removing root suckers (some of which had become trees), and in the process have realized that the non-chopped poplars have also spread a net of roots throughout my yard that will make gardening difficult.

I've removed some of these roots and am in the process of digging a trench to cut all roots off from the source trees, but I know they'll grow back. I'm thinking of putting rigid plastic root barrier panels (like DeepRoot) along my side of the fence, but I'm wondering how effective that would be. Would barriers extending 30 inches or so into the soil give me a few years of peace? Would 4 foot barriers be better? Or do I need to give up on the idea of planting things in my own soil and stick with containers held off the ground to protect from poplar root invasion? I'm beginning to despair...nothing wrong with container gardening, but it seems wrong to be limited to that when there's plenty of earth under my feet. Any thoughts welcome.

Comment (1)