SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedag

Good Old Word Question

friedag
13 years ago

In one of our many grammar threads, Vee mentioned how odd, to her eyes and ears, is the American use of the verb fit in the past tense. I couldn't find the thread where she gave her example; but, if I remember correctly, it was something similar to this:American: Yesterday, I fit all of the work I wanted to do into my schedule.

Whereas most Britons would say: Yesterday, I fitted all of the work I wanted to do into my schedule.Vee, do my examples represent closely enough what you conveyed?

My apologies, Vee, for speaking of you in third person and then switching to first person, but I wanted to get others to weigh in on this and not think it was directed only to you. But, of course, I want your specifically English viewpoint, too.

Anyway, here's what I especially want to know: Following the same rule of the examples above, do you also say:
I hit a pothole on the way to work this morning and damaged my car.

I hitted a pothole (if you call this hazard the same word) on the way to work this morning and damaged my car.

I quit my job last week.

I quitted my job last week.
I asked for the opinions of two English friends and they disagreed with each other, as well as with me! Of my American friends and family, only one I asked diverged from the others.

I don't know if most Americans usually drop the -ed for the past tense of the above words, but I have a feeling we do. I can think of only a couple of examples of Americans saying fitted for any reason. One is as an adjective; e.g., The fitted sleeves of her dress are flattering.

Another is a phrasal verb; e.g., He fitted out the camping expedition. (Adding the out to make the phrase)

I would appreciate all input!

Comments (80)