SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

What's a good way to word a rental agreement for this situation?

sooz
17 years ago

I'm asking this for Martin, a friend of mine, and I also know all the parties involved.

Tenant #1, Martin--rents a bedroom in a private home. There is another tenant --Tenant #2--who rents the other bedroom. The owners live close, but not in the house so they rent only the bedrooms.

The problem is that Tenant #2 has a friend who is unemployed and was kicked out of his home by his wife, who apparently got tired of his mooching off her. This friend has been staying for at the house, day and night, on a daily basis, at the house where Martin rents a bedroom.

Because of the rental agreement, overnight guests are not permitted without advance permission of the owner (because this is a private home). This was specifically written into the agreement because Tenant #2 knows a lot of indigent people who are frequently homeless, and no one wanted the private home to become a flop house.

Well, Tenant #2's guest sleeps outside in his car--so he's not an overnight guest.

Martin is going to talk with the owners about adding something to the rental agreement to limit guests, as there is a new Agreement every year.

What wording would be effective in a rental agreement, specifically to limit how long a guest/visitor can stay? Martin says that Tenant #2's guest is there more than Martin is !!! Since this is a private home, I believe this can be done legally.

I know renters don't want to be limited as to who they can entertain, how often, and when, and as a former renter, I agree!... but again this IS a private home and not an apartment!

Tenant #2 is effectively providing a home for his guest, using the loophole of "he sleeps in his car" to circumvent things. What wording in a rental agreement would you feel would effectively stop this behaviour?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional