SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

Official peat moss renewability thread

bpgreen
14 years ago

Since spring is upon us, we're sure to see more questions about peat moss and its use and abuse.

Rather than sidetrack all those threads with discussions about whether it's renewable or not, let's start a thread just for that purpose and if anybody posts about peat moss, we'll refer them to this thread for the renewability questions and discuss the use in the thread where the question is asked.

A couple of ground rules are in order. I don't think we want to engage in name calling or ganging up on individual posters. It's okay to quote, but not okay to ridicule. Also, let's make sure we keep this on track. This thread is about peat moss. It's not about peat.

Although many in North America use the term peat to refer to peat moss, peat is actually something that is close to coal. There's little doubt that it was over harvested (especially in the British Isles) and that the peat bogs there have been largely depleted.

This thread is about peat moss, which is a very different product.

I'm not a fan of peat moss, but my reasons for disliking it are because of what happens when it dries out (and in Utah, it WILL dry out). I think peat moss is renewable, but people have gotten confused by the similarity in names between peat and peat moss.

Comments (52)