Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #45 Chili

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #45---------CHILI!!

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 12:34

Arley has picked CHILI as the next Cookalong.

What is your favorite? We are looking for recipes for chili that are the main part of the meal.
Beans or no beans? Tomatoes or not? Beef or other meats, or a mix of beef and pork? Is the meat ground or in little chunks? White or red? Just a faint hint of cumin, or enough cumin to knock your socks off?
What do you like to serve with your chili?

Please post only tried and true recipes and be sure to add your comments. If you have a picture, that would be great.

This Cookalong will run through Sunday, April 22.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #44 --------LAMB
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #45---------CHILI!!
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 13:00

I'm definitely in the no-beans-or-tomatoes school, and I like a tremendous amount of cumin. The following recipe is the ultimate in that school of thought; I've made it several times and enjoyed it every time. It's by a Texas writer named Sam Pendergrast. Nothing but chilies, beef, cumin and garlic. If you dislike cumin, don't bother making this 'bowl o' red'. I once made this using beef shin meat. It took hours for it to get tender, but the flavor was fantastic. I'm reproducing it exactly as Sam wrote it, but I've included my own notes at the end.

SAM PENDERGRAST'S ORIGINAL ZEN CHILI

1 pound fatty bacon (see notes--you don't have to use this)
2 pounds coarse beef, extra large grind
1/2 cup whole cominos (cumin seed--yes, one-half cup!)
1/2 cup pure ground New Mexican red chile
Water
1 teaspoon cayenne
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Methods/steps

Render grease from the bacon; eat a bacon sandwich while the chili cooks. (Good chili takes time.)

Saute the ground beef in bacon grease over medium heat. Add the cominos and then begin adding the red chile until what you are cooking smells like chili. (This is the critical point. If you add all the spices at once, there is no leeway for personal tastes.) Let the mixture cook a bit between additions and don't feel compelled to use all of the red chile. Add water in small batches to avoid sticking, and more later for a soupier chili. Slowly add the cayenne powder until smoke curls your eyelashes. Palefaces may find that the red chile alone has enough heat.

Simmer the mixture until the cook can't resist ladling a bowlful for sampling. Skim the excess fat for dietetic chili, or mix the grease with a small amount of cornmeal for a thicker chili. Finish with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to individual taste, paprika to darken. Continue simmering until served; continue re-heating until gone. (As with wine, time enobles good chili and exposes bad.)
The result should be something like old time Texas cafe chili: a rich, red, heavily cominesque concoction with enough liquid to welcome crackers, some chewy chunks of meat thoroughly permeated by the distinctive spices, and an aroma calculated to lure strangers to the kitchen door.

Variation: For cook-off contest chili, drink bad tequila two days before starting the chili; burn mixture frequently; sprinkle occasionally with sand and blood; serve cold to a dozen other drunks and call them "judges"; and keep telling yourself you're having a great time.

Arley's notes: of course, you don't really need to cook a pound of bacon; just brown the meat in oil or lard. I generally prefer small chunks of beef rather than ground; it's impossible to find coarse 'chili grind' where I live. Also, if you go to a Mexican grocery, you'll find a variety of chili peppers in cellophane bags. A 3 ounce bag of New Mexico chiles is just about right for this dish, once you cut off the stems, open up the pods and shake out the seeds, and run the pods through a blender, you get about 1/2 cup. The idea is that you need to establish a strong chile flavor without much heat with lots of mild chiles (New Mexico chiles, a variety of Anaheim, are fairly mild) and then adjust hotness to your taste with a hotter pepper like cayenne or ground pequin chiles, which are even hotter than cayenne.

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 13:39

I love chili with or without beans. I want mine topped with cheese and homemade salsa and served with warm homemade tortillas.

I use this recipe as a guideline and adjust the peppers to what I have on hand.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Chili - Tex- Mex Seven Pepper Chili
===================================

==================
3 lbs. lean stew meat-beef, , ground coarse or in 1/2-inch cubes
1 lb. pork loin, ground coarse or cubed
2 tbsp. pure lard or shortening
3 large yellow onions, chopped fine
2 stalks of celery chopped
2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. ground cumin
7 cloves garlic
1 to 3 Tablespoons( or more to taste) of ground chilis. Use a variety of different ones, i.e Chiles pasillas, equines, chile anchos, dried New Mexico Chilis, etc..
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
2 tsp. salt
5 jalapenos, fresh, seeded
3 cans tomatoes,
1 can beer (Mexican if you have it)
L-oz. square unsweetened chocolate (Or Mexican chocolate)
2 cups Beef Broth
Dried Pinto, black beans or kidney beans

Or canned.
. . Brown meat in fat until no longer pink. Add onions and and celery and
cook until clear. Combine in
food processor or blender the cumin, garlic, and all of the different
chilies., Tabasco, salt, jalapenos, and I can of tomatoes. Blend and
set
aside to steep. Add this mixture to the meat along with the two cans of
tomatoes, the beer, broth and chocolate. Turn fire down real low and
simmer
least 2 hours. If using dried beans add them now. Stir occasionally to
keep it from
sticking. If the meat you have used is lean, you will probably have no
fat
to skim off, but if there is fat floating on the top, skim. Once the
chili
has cooled, you can remove any congealed fat. This keeps well and
freezes well.

TEx-Mex Cookbook

o

Posted by paprikash (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 13:45

DH and I have been tweaking our chili for many years resulting in the following:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chili

Recipe By : Andrea

Categories : Beef & Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound ground round
1 pound ground pork
1 15 1/2 oz dark red kidney beans
2 28 oz. diced tomatoes
1 28 oz. tomato sauce
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
3 medium or 1 really large onion, diced
3 cloves minced garlic
2 stalks of celery
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
seasoning salt/Montreal seasoning -- to taste
salt -- to taste
freshly ground pepper -- to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil or combination

Cook the onions, peppers and celery in oil slowly until soft. Salt and pepper a little; also, a little seasoning salt. Add the minced garlic and cook for a few minutes longer. When wilted, add ground pork and beef and brown slowly. Add a little salt, pepper, and seasoning salt. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the meat is no longer pink. Do this in a large frying pan and, when it's done, transfer by slotted spoon to a Dutch oven. Leave most of the oil and fat from the meat out but allow whatever fat is transferred by slotted spoon to the Dutch oven. Add the three cans of tomato sauce/whole tomatoes.
Use about 1/2 cup of water to rinse the cans out. Add salt, pepper, seasoning salt, cumin and chili power and allow to simmer real slowly for about an hour. Drain the kidney beans a little and add to the chili. Warm through for about 15 minutes and serve with Ritz crackers. If the chili is too thick I will add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce or a little water.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I also add a small chunk of chipotle in adobe sauce which I usually have in the freezer to add some zip. We always have Ritz crackers with our chili but Frito corn chips are a nice change once in a while.

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 18:44

I don't like chili for the most part because I don't like the beans. However, DH found a Texas chili that he makes for me, and it's delicious. It's the only one I like. Very spicy, and dark, with cumin. And not a bean in sight. I love it over steamed rice, to temper the heat.

Texas Chili

2 lb beef round, cut into 1/2" cubes (we use hamburger)
1 cup chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp cumin
5 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp red jalapeno powder (we use jalapeno peppers)
15-oz can tomato sauce
1 tbsp cornmeal

In a large skillet or dutch oven, saute the onions and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the beef and cook until browned. Add the salt, sugar, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder, jalapeno, tomato sauce and 1 1/2 cups water. Stir well.

Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook at a simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove from heat. To thicken chili, add cornmeal and stir well to combine. Return to low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.

Serve with beans, rice or bread on the side; all useful for muffling the heat. A tbsp of sour cream is also good.

o

Posted by shambo (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 0:53

Chili must be on the brain today! For some reason, we broke into one of the frozen quarts of Tommy's* chili that my cousin sent me a couple of months ago. I made nachos using unsalted tortilla chips, a small handful of grated cheddar, and chopped green onions. We only do this once every 3-4 months -- it's very rich and has too much salt. But it sure hit the spot today. Probably won't want to make any homemade chili for a while.

*Tom was my uncle, and now my cousins run the restaurants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Tommy's - Southern CA
o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 9:47

I don't often make chili or have any outstanding recipes for it except for this hot dog condiment.

CHILI SIZE

1 lb. chuck steak, GROUND VERY FINE
1 medium onion, diced fine
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs. wine vinegar
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 bay leaf, crumbled fine
3 to 6 oz. tomato juice

In large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until beef is browned. Add all other ingredients except tomato juice. Simmer over low heat at least one hour, periodically stirring and tasting. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add enough tomato juice to keep it sloppy. Tastes even better when refrigerated and reheated.

Source: Square Meals by Jane and Michael Stern

o

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 10:37

We love chili but I don't have my recipe written down & I don't feel well enough anymore to type it all in a thread.

It's similar to Ann T.'s except for the meat portion. I use short ribs rubbed with ground dried chilis, usually anchos & pasillas because they're always in the house, garlic, salt/pepper & slow braised in beer. When done, I remove the meat from the bones & add it to the beans.

While the meat is braising, I cook the beans/sauce also using my homemade spice mix that includes dried chilis, cumin, Mexican oregano, garlic, cinnamon, & Mexican chocolate.

I use either pinto or kidney beans. While we love black beans, not for this particular useage. We also top with salsa cruda & queso fresco.

Love, love, love chili. We eat it several times a month fall through winter accompanied by either tortillas or cornbread.

/tricia

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 10:53

I always want beans in my chili, tomatoes are optional. I like chunks of meat although minced is also acceptable, only because I don't care much for the consistency of ground meat.

I really like this version posted by RiverRat, who I miss a lot, but I still think it needs beans or rice.

Beef Chili with Ancho, Mole, and Cumin

8 servings.

Chili:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
4 bacon slices, chopped
1 4-pound boneless chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
4 (or more) large garlic cloves, chopped
3 1/2 cups (or more) beef broth, divided
1/4 cup pure ancho chili powder
1/4 cup Texas-style chili powder blend (such as Gebhardt)
1 tablespoon mole paste
2 teaspoons (or more) salt
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
1 to 2 tablespoons masa (corn tortilla mix)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

Garnishes:
Warm, freshly cooked or drained canned black beans
Chopped white, red, and/or green onions
Grated cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, or queso fresco
Sliced fresh or pickled jalapeno chiles
Sour cream
Tortilla chips or oyster crackers

Toast cumin seeds in heavy small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Cool; grind finely in spice mill or in mortar with pestle.

Saute bacon in large pot over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to large bowl.

Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Working in 4 batches, saute beef in drippings in pot until browned, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer beef and most drippings to bowl with bacon.

Add onion and garlic to pot. Saute until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth to pot. Bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits. Return beef, bacon, and any accumulated juices to pot. Mix in ancho chili powder, Texas-style chili powder, mole paste, 2 teaspoons salt, vinegar, oregano, and cumin seeds. Add 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer gently uncovered until beef is very tender, stirring occasionally and adding more broth by 1/2 cupfuls if chili is dry, about 2 1/2 hours or more. Mix in masa by teaspoonfuls to thicken chili or add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls to thin. Season chili with salt, pepper, and cayenne, if desired. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cool 1 hour. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm over low heat.)

Set out garnishes as desired. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.

Bon Appetit, February 2009

Annie

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 11:15

I don't have a recipe but we do love Chili so I'll give some of these a try. Mind you Chili is like Spaghetti sauce, meatloaf and stuffing my family doesn't like me to change it up much.

o

Posted by bob_cville (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 12:06

Last year I posted here about how I entered a Brazilian Black Bean Stew (Feijoada) in a Chili, Wings and Ribs cookoff hosted by a local club, and ended up winning second place.

About a month ago the second annual cookoff was held and this year I was determined to make a more chili-like chili and hoped to win first place.

There are a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps because I was trying to end up with a rich layering of flavors. The chili ended up being some of the best chili I've ever eaten, however it still only managed to garner a second place ribbon. :-(

Award Winning Chili

3 lbs Sirloin Tips
1 lb Smoked Sausage (chopped)
1/2 lb thick-sliced Bacon (chopped)
3 large Yellow Onions (chopped)
3 Tbsp Cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp Ancho Chili Powder
2 Tbsp Diced Pickled Jalapeno Peppers
1 Serrano Pepper (seeded and chopped fine)
1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
1 tsp Black Pepper
3 10 oz cans Rotel Diced Tomato w/ peppers (drained)
1 small can Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp Adobo Sauce
4 Chipotle peppers (seeded and chopped)
3 15 oz Bush's Chili Beans
2 15 oz cans Black Beans (drained)
1 15 oz can Small Red beans (drained)
2 12 oz bottles Dark Beer (porter or stout)
1.5 oz Lindt Dark Chocolate w/ Chili

Cut sirloin tips into ~ 1 inch cubes, spread on baking sheet and place in freezer for about 10 minutes. Place in batches in food processor and pulse several times until meat is coarsely ground. Next in large pan brown meat over high heat in smallish batches, deglazing pan with the beer between each batch, keeping seared meat and the deglazing liquid in a glass bowl for later.

Next cook bacon and smoked sausage until lightly browned, and remove that meat to another bowl. Then add the onions to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until onion is softened and translucent.

Add chili powders, cumin, serrano pepper, and garlic stir in well for a few minutes, then add tomato paste, pickled jalapenos, black pepper, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, stir and cook for a few more minutes.

Next add the diced tomatoes, all of the beans and the two bowls of cooked meat, and any remaining beer, heat to simmering and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour until the meat is tender.

Remove from heat, stir in chocolate, refrigerate overnight.

Reheat the next day to a low simmer, and serve with shredded cheddar on the side.

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 15:06

Bob, I have faith in you, next year it'll be first place!

Annie

o

Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 16:32

Did everyone forget about this? Maybe there aren't as many chili eaters here on the cooking forum as we thought.

I'll pull out a name tomorrow so we can get a new subject started.

Nancy

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 16:49

I have this on the list of things to make but just haven't gotten around to it. Here's my contribution, Cincinnati chili--not typical chili but delicious. I make it like chili-mac. I make the chili and then mix it with broken spaghetti and cheddar cheeese, then put in a casserole and bake until cheese melts.

Cinncinati style chili
Recipe was on Foodnetwork.com, courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

2 TBLSP vegetable oil (I use EVOO)
2 med. onions, chopped
5 cloves minced garlic
2 lbs. ground beef chuck (I only use 1 lb. of fake meat crumbles and a can of dark red kidney beans, or red beans)
4 TBLSP commercial chili powder (getting the right kind makes a huge difference here. I buy the organic kind, has no salt, so I can control the salt level)
1 TBLSP sweet paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground corriander
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 TBLSP red wine vinegar
1 TBLSP molasses
1 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water or veg. broth

Additions: spaghetti, cooked and drained, kidney beans, grated cheddar, chopped onions and oyster crackers. (I leave out the onions and oyster crackers)

In a large heavy pot heat oil over moderate heat and cook the onions and garlic until softened. Add the ground beef, stirring until beef is no longer pink. Drain off excess fat and discard. Add the spices, stirring to combine, cook for 1 minute. Add the bay leaf, wine and molasses and tomato sauce and water. Bring to a boil (or throw in the crockpot). Reduce heat and simmer chii for 1.5 hours, adding additional water if necessary (or put in the crockpot for 3 hours on high or 4-5 on low). Discard bay leaf and adjust salt and pepper. Since I like it with kidney beans I put them in to simmer with the seasonings. Serve over cooked spaghetti with traditional topppings.

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 17:03

Here are two more options. Nice alternative to the more traditional chili.

I love this Chili served over cheese stuffed homemade flour tortillas. But it can also be served in a bowl topped with all the garnishes.

Pork Chile Verde
================

1 to 2 tablespoons oil
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
1 to 2 pounds lean pork cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 to 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves of garlic
2 cans roasted chili peppers
1 can/bottle of Tomatillos
chicken broth
cilantro

Heat oil in heavy pot.
Toss pork with flour, and brown.
When all the meat has been browned, add the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes.
Add the cumin, the chili peppers, and the tomatillo sauce. Add some chicken broth. Simmer until meat is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serve with flour or corn tortillas and sides of beans, guacamole, salsa, cheese,etc..

The Dove's Nest White Chili
==========================
Source: Lorijean

Source: Lori at All That Splatters
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2-1/2 cups tomato, chopped or 2 cans (10 ounces each) of tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
6 fresh tomatillos, chopped
1 medium jalapeno, seeded, minced
2 cups chicken stock
1 7-ounce can green chilies, chopped
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup (heaping) chopped cilantro
2 19-ounce cans cannellini or Great Northern bean, undrained
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt & pepper to taste
sour cream
shredded Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese
Fried tortilla strips (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer; do not brown.

Add the tomatoes, tomatillos and jalapeno. Cook until the tomatillos are tender, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken stock, green chilies, chicken, oregano, cumin, cilantro, beans and lime juice. Cook until heated through, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle the chili into serving bowls.

Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese and fried tortilla strips (if using).

Yields 8 to 10 servings

o

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 18:01

Nancy, maybe it's because we've had warmer weather and we're not thinking about "cold weather" dishes so much.

I have posted my recipe before, don't know whether anyone tried it or not, but our family likes it.

Nana's Chili

2-3 strips bacon, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Saute' until bacon is lightly browned.

Add:

1 C. diced onion, saute' until tender and add
1 lb ground chuck, continue to cook until beef is browned.

Add 1 1/2 T, chili powder,
1 teas. cumin,
1 teas. crushed red pepper flakes,
1/2 teas. paprika and
1/4 teas. oregano
* Note: If you like it really hot,(we do), add a pod of dried hot pepper at this point.

Simmer 6 to 8 minutes.

Add 1 can pinto beans
1 can pork & beans
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 to 2 cans water

Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, or longer.
Add salt to taste

Just because a recipe has an ingredient you don't use doesn't make it a bad one. I've never had chili with chocolate but I'd be willing to try it.

jude

o

Posted by moosemac (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 8:49

I've posted this before but here's a throwback to my college days...many, many years and beers ago. :-)

New England Pantry Chili

1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1 14 1/2 oz. can Del Monte Stewed Tomato, crushed
1 pkg. Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 16 oz. can Baked Kidney Beans with pork.
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon Chili powder
1/2 cup beer
Tabasco sauce to taste.

In a large pot, scramble ground beef. Drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.

Tip - Scramble ground beef, drain and freeze it for an even quicker prep time

Note: The Del Monte stewed tomatoes contain green peppers, onions and celery hence the reason for using them.

o

Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 12:59

A BIG Thank You to all who shared their recipes for chili.

I just drew a name............

****************AnnT*********************

Would you please pick our next subject?

I'll set the new thread up as soon as you let me know.

Nancy

o

Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 16:54

AnnT has picked Poultry for our next Cookalong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #46-----POULTRY
o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 7:53

This is how far behind I am . . . finally made my dish for the Chili Cookalong!
Cincinnati chili in the pot, including the beans. I used Roman beans because BF doesn't do kidney beans.

Said it once but I'll say it again--using good chili powder is critical!
Here it is "5 Ways" with beans, onions, spaghetti, cheddar cheese melted in, and topped with crumpled corn chips. I just can't do the wheat starch overload of using oyster crackers!

Comment

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations