thibeaultstable

Cookalong - 43 Cabbage

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #43 ------ CABBAGE!

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 18:08

As Annie wrote on choosing cabbage.....

"Cooked, raw, in cole slaw, with corned beef for St. Patrick's Day, baked, sautéed, cabbage soup, stuffed cabbage, you name it. Ready? Set? Discuss."

Everyone is encouraged to share their T+T recipes...I'm just sure some are holding out! There are a couple of recipes I'm on the watch for, they've been posted before but I lost them and they were winners for me..

This Cookalong will run until March 26, 2012.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong # 42 -------- PORK
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #43 ------ CABBAGE!
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by grainlady (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 20:13

Cabbage, the long distance food. You cook it for a day, smell it for a mile, and burp it for a week.... :-)

Colcannon

A traditional Irish dish consisting of cabbage (or kale) and potatoes is a traditional Halloween dish, but it goes well with corned beef. It's also something different to make with some leftover mashed potatoes.

Traditional Fried Colcannon

1 bowl of mashed potatoes
1 bowl cooked cabbage or curly kale, chopped
1 onion
2 T. drippings per pound vegetables
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Milk if necessary

Combine the mashed potatoes and cabbage or kale. Mix well. Peel and chop the onion. Melt a little of the drippings in a large, heavy frying pan or griddle and cook the onion in it. Remove and mix with the potato and cabbage. Season to taste, and stir in a little milk if the mixture is too stiff. Add the rest of the drippings to the hot pan and when very hot, turn the potato and cabbage into the pan and spread out. Fry until golden, then roughly cut it and continue frying until there are lots of crisp brown pieces. Just before serving, slip in the wrapped ring.
---------------------------------

My favorite Colcannon recipe:

1 pound all-purpose potatoes, peeled
1 pound green cabbage, shredded (4 cups)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup) (I generally use 1/2 c.)
1/4 c. skim or low-fat milk
1 T. butter or margarine
3 oz. sharp Cheddar (or other hard cheese), coarsely grated, divided
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Salt, if desired, to taste (I never need more salt.)

1. Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until they are tender but not mushy. Drain them, RESERVING the cooking liquid, and set them aside to cool somewhat.

2. Using the potato water (you may need to add more water and bring it back to a boil), boil the cabbage and onion for about 5 minutes. Drain the vegetables and set them aside.

3. Place potatoes in a bowl, add the milk and butter and mash until they are smooth.

4. Add the reserved boiled cabbage and onion to the potato mixture.

5. Mix two-thirds of the cheese with the potato mixture. Season the colcannon with pepper and salt, if desired, and transfer it to a greased casserole or shallow baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

6. Before serving the colcannon, heat it through in a moderately hot oven (the temperature is not critical -- it can be between 350-425-degrees F, depending on what else you are using the oven for). Let the cheese on top brown slightly.
------------------------------------------

I got this recipe when I took a class on Irish Cookery.

Calico Salad

1-1/2 c. finely shredded red cabbage
1-1/2 c. finely shredded green cabbage
2-T. to 1/4 c. minced onion (I also use fresh chives instead of onion.)
Mix together.
Dressing:

1/4 c. salad dressing (Miracle Whip or Mayo)
1/2 T. vinegar
1 T. sugar
dash of salt
1/4 t. celery seed
Mix together and add to the vegetables and mix well.

o

Posted by jessicavanderhoff (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 20:15

Oooh, what a great one! I recently discovered that cooked purple cabbage, when sprinkled with lime juice, turns the most amazing neon pink around the edges. I am hoping to see some recipes in the acidulated/pickled/fermented category. I think sour cabbage is so delicious.

o

Posted by murphy_zone7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 9:22

My new all time favorite way to cook cabbage is to slice the head into about 1 inch slices/pieces, place on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, roast at about 425 for about 20-30 minutes until lightly brown on edges. So good.
This method is really really good with fresh from the garden cabbage. Store bought will work but just doesn't taste the same. Cabbage in my garden this year for the first time!

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 9:37

I have some cabbage that's just about prime to pick. I'm excited about this cookalong. I don't have a recipe yet, but I'll do some research. Otherwise, just steamed and served with butter and a bit of pepper vinegar, or the vinegar of your choice, is great.

Sally

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 9:43

Perfect timing, Annie. Because of St. Patrick's Day, cabbage should be at loss leader prices in the stores this week.

My repertoire of cabbage recipes has increased since the advent of microwave ovens, which are great for steaming or parcooking it quickly without that cooked cabbage odor permeating the house.

Here's a good winter cabbage soup that doesn't take long to make, once the knife work is completed.

SAUSAGE CABBAGE SOUP

1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds
2 cups chicken or ham broth
1 cup water
2 cups chopped cabbage
1/2 pound fully cooked smoked kielbasa, quartered and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
minced fresh parsley (optional)

In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and butter until almost tender. Add carrots, caraway seeds, broth, water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes, and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings.

Photobucket

No real recipe for this one but I'll steam chopped cabbage in the microwave; then saute it with sliced mushrooms and leeks. When the veegetables are soft, I mix in some barley cooked in broth, marjoram and Old Bay (my two favorite cabbage seasonings).

Photobucket

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 9:48

We love cabbage. Love it steamed/boiled, and stir-fried.
I like shredding cabbage, carrots and onions and saute it. I had some tetra-paks of apple juice and put some in, and it added a real nice flavour.

o

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 9:51

I forget to cook cabbage except for this time of the with corned beef or in the summer as slaw.

I like cabbage steamed in a little water in a covered pan until it's just crisp tender, so the white parts still has a little crunch....about 20 minutes cooking time.
Then a few dots of butter and a sprinkle of cider or malt vinegar.

My favorite slaw is a marinates one. I used to make one with a creamy dressing too, but everyone likes the Fred Harvey one so well, I never make anything else.

Fred Harvey Cole Slaw:
Shred one medium head of cabbage and one small onion, cover with 1/2 cup of sugar.
Bring to a boil 1 tsp sugar
1/2 Tablespoon salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 c peanut oil
1/2 c cider vinegar.
Pour over the cabbage and let stand at least 4 hours before eating.
Keeps well in the refrigerator

o

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 10:05

Jessica - And a tiny pinch of baking soda will turn your purple cabbage blue! Just a TINY bit though or it'll turn aqua and taste like baking soda.

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 10:39

Cool! Do I sprinkle it on the cabbage or put it in the cooking water?

o

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 11:02

Alrighty then! I've got both potatoes and cabbage on hand, so tonight is colcannon for dinner!

I love cabbage, cooked or raw, in coleslaw, on fish tacos, in stir fries, but I love my mom's cooked cabbage wedges best. Don't know what she does to plain cooked cabbage, but mine is never as good as hers. When we were little girls, we didn't like for mom to put cabbage in vegetable soup, but now I love cabbage in soup.

Teresa

o

Posted by islay_corbel (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 11:11

Bubble and squeak. It's made with left-over potatoes and cabbage fried together in a sort of rough cakey shape or blob depending on how it turns out. Fry it until it goes brown and crispy at the edges.

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 11:19

After, if only because you wouldn't know how much to add up front. I can't emphasize enough that it only takes a tiny bit.

To keep this Cookalong related, I highly recommend Ann_T's stuffed cabbage, both the Greek style with avgolemono sauce and the more traditional ones with pork and tomatoes. I'll let Ann (hopefully) repost those here, but I've linked a thread from 2008 when I first tried them. There are other recipes worth looking at there, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabbage Roll Thread
o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 11:26

My favourtie cabbage roll recipe is Craftyrn's. I make a ton of them every Fall when the cabbage is dirt cheap.

Cabbage Rolls - Dianes

2 Lb lean chuck (or round), Ground
1 Lb lean pork, Ground
1 Lb veal, Ground
1 1/2 Cup long grain rice, Cooked
2 head of cabbage
1 Large onion, chopped
2 egg, beaten
salt & pepper
2 -3 garlic, minced
1 TBSP horseradish, Ground
1 Can condensed tomato soup
2 Tbl brown sugar
2 TBSp vinegar
2 Cups good beef broth
2 TBSP Worcestershire
4 Cups Tomato Sauce

Remove the core from the cabbage, place "core" hole down in large
pot 1/4 filled with water & steam for 15-20 min. Remove head of cabbage
, CAREFULLY peel down leaves by placing head core hole up and doing one
leaf at a time.
Mix ground meats, egg, onion, rice ,salt ,pepper, garlic and
horseradish. Scoop out 1/2 -3/4 c of mixture and GENTLY pat into oval-
place oval on thickest part of cabbage leaf-roll once then tuck edges
over roll part & continue to roll up in leaf- Place all rolls into
heavy pan that is lined with a few cabbage leaves-layer up rolls as
needed- Mix undiluted soup, beef broth, br sugar & vinegar-pour over
rolls-cover & bake in 350 oven 2 -2 1/2 hrs.

o
((( Cookalong #43 ------ CABBAGE!

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 11:37

I'm going to assume sauerkraut classifies as cabbage!

This dish is awesome and can be adjusted to feed from 4 to 100 and 4! Leave out what meats you want to or sub other sausages. It's very flexible. I serve with perogies and sour cream but boiled parsley mini potatoes works too.

Choucroute

Ingredients

1 3/4 pounds smoked meaty ham hocks
1 pound fully cooked bratwurst
4 smoked pork chops
2 large onions, chopped
1teaspoon juniper berries (optional) (I used 1/4 cup gin but it can be omitted totally)
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
3 tart apples, unpeeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 2-pound jars sauerkraut, squeezed dry
2 pounds fully cooked kielbasa, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
1 pound fully cooked knockwurst
2 cups Alsatian Pinot Blanc or other dry white wine
Assorted mustards
Prepared white horseradish

Preparation

Place ham hocks in large saucepan. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is very tender, about 2 hours

Preheat oven to 350�F. Heat heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bratwurst and bacon. Saut� until bacon is crisp and bratwurst is brown, about 10 minutes. Add onions, spices and bay leaves to same pot. Saut� until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add apples; saut� 2 minutes. Mix in sauerkraut. Add all meats; press to submerge. Add reserved broth and wine. Boil 10 minutes. Cover choucroute and bake 1 1/2 hours. Arrange sauerkraut and meats on platter. Serve with mustards and horseradish.

NOTE: You can save a bunch of time by using a crockpot. Simply chop onion and apple and dumped everything in the crockpot on high for two hours, low for two hours......low for 6 hours would work too.

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 13:47

I made this a few weeks ago. It was quite good, but made a lot. I didn't bother with the mace.

Cabbage and Leeks in Cream Sauce (Slow Cooker Cafe)

1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
3 large leeks, sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons sherry or dry white wine
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 to 1 cup half and half or milk
1/4 teaspoon mace, or nutmeg
salt and pepper, to taste

Put cabbage and leeks in crock pot. Add minced garlic, sherry and water (or use 1/4 cup of chicken broth).

Dot with 1 tablespoon of butter; cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.

Melt butter in saucepan; add flour and stir until smooth and bubbling. Add cream or milk and cook over low heat until thickened. Add the mace and salt and pepper to taste. Mix into the cabbage and leek mixture.

Serves 4 as a side dish

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 14:07

Oh yum, I want to make that charcroute and the creamed cabbage and leeks and some cabbage rolls and, well, all of it.

Cabbage is on sale this week for 19 cents a pound. I'm going to get a couple of heads now!

Annie

o

Posted by noinwi (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 14:42

Not a contribution, but a question. Other than coleslaw, I never cared for cabbage, but back in the 70s the canteen for my workplace served a cabbage dish that I loved. It was sort of pink so I'm thinking it was red cabbage. It was sweet/sour with kielbasa-type sausage slices. Does anybody know what it is, or have a recipe? TIA

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 14:48

Lots of great-sounding recipes already on this thread. I am anxiously awaiting the end of income tax season to try them and ones from the other recent Cookalongs.

Photobucket

It's rare to walk into my house and not find a container of pepper cabbage in the fridge (pic above). I haven't made any for years because a local dairy store makes it exactly as we like it - grating cabbage, carrots and green peppers in an ancient machine that looks like an old wringer washer. The dressing is vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Sometimes I even eat some for breakfast.

When I do make coleslaw, this is my recipe of choice.

COLORFUL COLESLAW

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 tsp. celery seeds
2 tsp. dried mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 head green cabbage, cut into thin shreds
1/2 head red cabbage, cut into thin shreds
1 carrot peeled and coarsely grated
1 small onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
1 green pepper, seeded and halved crosswise and thinly sliced
1 sweet red pepper, seeded and halved crosswise and thinly sliced

Put red cabbage in a storage container in the refrigerator. Combine oil, sugar and vinegar in small nonaluminum saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 5 minutes and add celery seeds, mustard, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl except for red cabbage. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss. Chill covered for at least four hours, or preferably overnight, stirring occasionally. Add red cabbage about an hour before serving. 12 servings. Note: You can add the red cabbage at the same time as the green but since the color will bleed out of it over time (no change in flavor), the presentation is prettier if you add it right before serving.

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 15:14

noinwi - Probably started with something like this, whether homemade or store bought:

o

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 16:25

Here's one I posted before but I'll do it again.

Smoked Sausage and Kale

Ingredients:
2 pkgs. smoked sausage or Kielbasa, sliced into 2-inch pieces
6 large potatoes, cubed into large pieces, approx. 1/1/2 inches
1 large onion, sliced
2 cups baby carrots, whole
1 bunch kale or collards, washed and trimmed, or one small cabbage, cut into wedges
1 cup chicken stock
1 stick butter or olive oil
salt, pepper to taste
crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
Directions:
In dutch oven, on medium-high, heat butter or oil, add sausage and brown on all sides. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, stir about 1 minute. Add kale or cabbage, salt, pepper, red pepper, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, stir until kale has wilted, then turn down heat to simmer, covered, cook about 2 hours. Or put in a 300 degree oven for about 2 hours. Don't forget to make cornbread!

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 17:25

German red cabbage cooked with cider vinegar is very popular here. I live in Mennonite country. It is a sweet and sour, and served with Schnitzel. It's delicious!

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 18:51

Sweet and sour red cabbage....
I have no recipe as such....because it's always mostly by taste.
chop coarsely one smallish head of red cabbage
Slice a large red onion thinly and quarter the slices.
Put all into a non aluminum pan add ahout 3/4 cup brown sugar and 3/4 cup cider vinegar....or red wine vinegar. Simmer stirring often for about 45 minutes, taste and correct seasonings ( I usually want to add more vinegar) and add either sliced or chunked kielbasa or Dutch balogna or even brat wurst.....simmer another 20 to 30 minutes to cook the meat....
Yum!

o

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 19:14

This is from Southern Living a hundred years ago. Who names something "Sausage Surprise." It's good in spite of the name.

Sausage Surprise

2 lbs smoked sausage or kielbasa, cut into 1/2 - 3/4 inch slices
1 lg onion, cut into eighths
1 medium cabbage, cut into small chunks
1/2 cup water
1 lb carrots, cut into 1/2" slices
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes

Brown sausage in a Dutch oven; remove and drain on paper towels. Drain off drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in Dutch oven. Saute onion in reserved drippings 3 - 5 minutes; add sausage, cabbage, and water. Cover and cook over low heat 10 minutes. Stir in carrots and potatoes; cover and cook an additional 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Serves 8.

o

Posted by mabeldingeldine (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 19:17

Yum, these recipes sound so tasty, and this time of year cabbage is one of the few veggies readily available at the farmers market.

Here's what we just enjoyed for dinner with corn and black bean tacos:

Quick Jalapeno-Lime Cabbage Salad

1/3 c mayonnaise
Juice from 1/2 lime or more
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t ground chipotle chile powder
diced pickled jalapeno rings to taste
1/3 c chopped cilantro, leaves and stems

Stir together and taste for heat. Toss with 3+/- cups thinly sliced cabbage.

Great with tacos, especially fish tacos. I use home canned candied jalapenos and add more lime juice.

o

Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 19:21

Sharon, thanks for posting Craftyrn's recipe for the cabbage rolls, I lost that recipe somehow. Last time I made them I had to do it from memory. As much as I hate to use canned soup, there is a flavor there that is just what I like.

I also misplaced a recipe for a creamy coleslaw that I liked, I'll keep a watch to see if it gets posted.

There are already some really great recipes here. I have to look at my recipes and see if there are any favorites that need to be on here, but it seems like my favorites are all originally from here....

Nancy

o

Posted by noinwi (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 21:09

Thank you Linda...I will definitely have to try it!

o

Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 21:25

This is really good. It's Sharon CB's recipe. The comments are from her.

BRAISED SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE

Serves 4 - 6

1 TBS olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 large apple, cored and chopped
1 small red cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly shredded - (6 cups shredded)
1 full cup (9 fl oz) apple juice (250 ml)
3 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 TBS sugar substitute
1 teasp sea salt
1/2 teasp freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat in a deep frying pan. Cook the onion and apple for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the cabbage and toss well.
Add the apple juice, vinegar, sugar substitute and seasoning and stir.

2. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the liquid reduces completely and the cabbage is tender. Check seasoning and serve.

Leftovers can be chilled for one day and reheated over a moderate heat.

Source: Adapted from Rick Gallop's GI Diet
Green-Light Cookbook

This is a really good, tangy side dish for those who love red cabbage! I halved the recipe for just the two of us but it was so good we nearly finished it all, so no problem with making too much. When finely shredded � with a mandolin - the cabbage measured exactly 3 cups (200 grams) for my halved version. I used one small apple and half an onion but didn�t reduce the olive oil.

o

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 22:07

Grainlady, I made your favorite Colcannon recipe with the cheese for dinner tonight. It was really delicious! I cooked the cabbage and onions in the microwave and there was no smell of cooked cabbage in the house at all! Could not find you said to do this, but.....thank you!

Teresa

o

Posted by ritaweeda (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 8:29

Asian Slaw

3 to 4 cups shredded cabbage, Napa is the best
1 cup shredded carrots
1 small onion or 1 bunch scallions, sliced
1 small bell pepper, preferably red, sliced
1 cup snow peas
1 cup cooked brown rice

Dressing:
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
3 Tbls. soy sauce
2 Tbls. Asian chili sauce with garlic
2 Tbls. brown sugar
1 Tbls. finely sliced ginger
2 Tbls. peanut butter
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 cup peanut oil or you can use olive oil

You can add any other crunchy vegetable you choose, also.

o

Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 8:30

Teresa, thanks for reporting back on Grainlady's Colcannon. It looks really good!!

o

Posted by grainlady (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 12:26

Teresa-

Glad you liked it. It's one of those recipes, once made, you can make it with almost any amount of potatoes/cabbage without having an exact amount and never use the recipe again.

Great idea cooking the cabbage/onion in the microwave. ;-) -Grainlady
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HIGH-CALCIUM CABBAGE BREAD

1/2 c. finely shredded red cabbage
1/2 c. finely shredded green cabbage
(you can use all one color if you'd like)
1 t. lemon juice
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/4 c. orange juice concentrate or 1/4 c. orange juice + 1 T. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. nonfat dry milk powder
1 egg
1 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. toasted sesame seeds
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. mace
1/8 t. ground ginger

1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
2. Place cabbage in small bowl and toss with lemon juice.
3. In a large measuring cup or medium bowl, combine yogurt, orange juice, oil, milk powder and egg, blending well. Stir in cabbage.
4. In a large bowl, cimbine flours, sesame seeds, baking powder., baking soda, salt, mace and ginger; mix well.
5. Gradually add the cabbage mixture to the flour mixture, and mix the ingredients until they are just combined. Pour the batter into a greased 8X4-inch loaf pan.
6. Place the pan in the preheated oven, and bake for 35-45-minutes or until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Turn the bread out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing it.

o

Posted by sprout26 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 16:52

I cannot recommend enough Alton Brown's cabbage. Not lo-cal but oh so yummy. Leave out the caraway if you're not fond of it like my kiddies.

FoodNetwork.com
Shred, Head, Butter and Bread

Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
10 min

Level:
--

Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients

1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup pulverized, seasoned croutons
2 pinches dry mustard
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions

Fill your largest pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil on high heat.

Melt the butter and croutons in a skillet. Add the mustard and caraway seeds and stir over medium heat until the butter browns and smells nutty. Remove the skillet from the heat, but leave dressing in the pan.

Add the salt and sugar to the boiling water and cook until dissolved. Place the cabbage in the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes exactly.

Drain the cabbage in the bowl of the salad spinner or colander. Spin the cabbage to remove any excess water. Add the cabbage to the butter-crumb dressing and toss to coat thoroughly.

o

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 17:12

My DD#2 was by yesterday and mentioned she had some corned beef to cook but couldn't decide what to cook with it. After several suggestions, I said"you could always make colcannon" and she said which is----? WhenI told her what the 2 main ingredients were her response was---"why would you do that to mashed potatoes?

Silly woman!

o

Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 8:19

Thanks to Cloudy Christine and Sharon CB, I made the Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage posted above for dinner last night. The only change I made was to use brown sugar instead of the sugar substitute and to simmer it an extra 15 minutes.

It was very tasty and I would make it again.

o

Posted by cloudy_christine (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 13:19

Ruthanna, I never used the sugar substitute either. I should have mentioned that. Glad you liked it.

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 10:06

Cabbage is our mainstay green salad vegetable, particularly in the winter. I also add it to everything--soups, stir fries, casseroles, etc. And I make it as a side vegetable, usually braised.

BF and I have a bit of a "coleslaw issue" lol! He does not like anything with a sweet-and-sour taste so he doesn't care for the type of slaw with an oil and vinegar and sugar type dressing. And I don't really love the creamy kind, because of all the saturated fat and calories. Why do that to a good, low calorie veggie? Don't answer, rhetorical question! But anyway, we compromise and eat slightly tangy, slightly creamy versions.

Here's what's on the docket for dinner tonight, to go with grilled salmon and either potatoes or rice.

Napa Cabbage and Snow Pea Slaw (from "Cooking Light")
This salad tastes best after chilling in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
Dressing:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
Dash of ground red pepper
Slaw:
4 cups (1/4-inch) slices napa (Chinese) cabbage (I'll use regular cabbage, it is cheaper)
1/2 cup snow peas, trimmed and cut lengthwise into (1/8-inch) thin strips
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts (I am not organized enough to sprout my own and hardly ever find good ones in the store, so I omit this.)
1/2 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut peeled jicama (I never have this on hand, so I use red radishes for the color)
1/4 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper (again, I use green peppers because they are cheaper)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation
To prepare dressing, combine first 6 ingredients, stirring with a whisk.

To prepare slaw, combine cabbage and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing, and toss well to coat. Chill 30 minutes.

Lpink's notes: I usually don't have cilantro on hand so will use a combo of parsley with dried ground corriander seeds added to the dressing. Also will proably ad a dab of lite mayo for BF's taste. Also, I find Cooking Light recipes usually very "light" indeed on the dressing so will probably add more of everything, but your mileage may vary.

Also, if you've never visited "Orangette's" blog, (great food writer IMHO), she has a couple of lovely cabbage articles with recipes. Here's a link to my favorite one about braising cabbage. However, I like her red cabbage and apple recipe better.

Orangette - "Tender is the Cabbage."

Orangette - "Outline of the Theory of Cabbage." (with a recipe for red cabbage with apples and caraway)

o

Posted by katiec (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 19:47

Oooo, goody. Cabbage was .38/lb. today so I have lots. Here's one more slaw. Our favorite...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey Mustard Slaw with Cranberries and Pine Nuts

Recipe By :Katie, 2004
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 -5 cups shredded cabbage or 1 bag cole slaw mix
1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onions
1 handful dried cranberries
1/3 cup pine nuts
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Combine cole slaw mix, red onions, dried cranberries and pine nuts.

Whisk remaining ingredients and pour over slaw. Mix well and chill.

--------

A friend from PA gave me a non-recipe for another favorite...haluski (sp?): Fry some bacon, add chopped cabbage, onion, S&P and when cooked, stir in noodles and fry a bit. Ugly but good comfort food.

o

Posted by janicep (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 11:07

While visiting friends in South Carolina a few weeks ago, I went to a Publix market and sampled the recipes that they were demonstrating that day. Believe it or not, the best part of the menu was this. Really different and very good!

Cole Slaw Crisp
2 TBSP butter, softened
8 ounce bag cole slaw mix
3/4 cup cole slaw dressing
1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese, divided
1/4 TSP salt
1/4 TSP pepper
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut butter into pieces and place in a bowl.
Combine slaw, dressing, 1 cup cheese, salt, and pepper; transfer to 2-quart baking dish.
Mix bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup cheese into butter with fingertips until blended; spread over top.
Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until golden and edges are bubbly.
Let stand 5 minutes; serve warm.
6 servings

A friend of mine makes haluski the same way as Katiec except she fries a pound of bacon sausage instead of bacon. Rich and REALLY good.

Another friend of mine who came from PA gave me her family recipe for a similar dish. Not low-cal but wonderfully delicious comfort food:

Haluski (Pan-Fried Cabbage and Noodles)
Servings: 4

4 cups wide egg noodles
8 TBSP butter
2 cups sliced onions, about 1/8 inch thick
6 cups cabbage, sliced thin
Half teaspoon salt
pepper

Directions

Cook egg noodles according to package directions, then drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent the noodles from sticking together and set aside.

While noodles are cooking, melt butter in large deep skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until softened and just beginning to turn golden.

Add cabbage to skillet, stirring well to incorporate with onion, and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer until vegetables are soft. Turn heat back to medium, add cooked noodles, salt and pepper, and stir well until noodles are heated though.

Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve hot.

o

Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 10:07

I made Grainlady's Colcannon last night, and we enjoyed it very much. It would have been better if I hadn't used so much of the tough outer leaves, or maybe cooked the tougher leaves a little longer, but I will probably make it again. What happened was that I had a double head of cabbage from my garden at work, and when I tried to harvest the larger head, they both came up -they were conjoined twins. So, I decided to use the smaller head. Well, it turned out that the little bit of head there was was mostly core, with mostly tougher leaves surrounding. That's what I used. Anyway, I'll make it again for sure, but with the more tender leaves, or maybe with the kale that's needing to be harvested.

Thanks, Grainlady!

Sally

o

Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 10:21

I love colcannon, but made just cabbage with potatoes and onions along with my corned beef.

I made this coleslaw to go on some Thai lettuce wraps we made with venison steak on Friday, I like this better than the creamy kind:

SWEET AND SOUR COLESLAW

1 head cabbage
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar
1 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
2 carrots, shredded

Shred Cabbage and mix with shredded carrots. In saucepan heat sugar, vinegar, mustard and celery seed. Cook until sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes. Cool completely, pour over cabbage and carrots, and toss. Let sit at least 4 hours before serving.

12-16 servings

Annie

o

Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 21:48

Lpink, that sounds awesome. I bought an extra head since they were 50 cents (well, I ordered up another head. Happily, bf does the shopping). Now I just need a thread on what to do with massive amounts of corned beef. . .

o

Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 22:21

Jessica, my mom used to make this salad when we had leftover corned beef.

REUBEN SALAD � 6 servings

8 cups torn leaf lettuce
1 cup corned beef cut into thin strips
1 (8 oz.) can sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and chilled
1 cup cubed Swiss cheese (4 ounces)
1 cup rye croutons **
3/4 cup thousand island salad dressing
1/2 tsp. caraway seed

Place lettuce in large salad bowl. Arrange corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese and 1 cup rye croutons on lettuce. Combine salad dressing and caraway seeds; pour over salad and toss.

**Rye croutons: Brush both sides of 5 slices of rye bread with 3 Tbs. softened butter or margarine; cut into 1/ 2 inch cubes. Place on baking sheet. Bake in 300 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until croutons are dry and crisp. Store in a plastic bag or other airtight container. Makes 2 cups.

o

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 0:53

Wow, these sound so good! All of this talk about sweet and sour cabbage has me craving German potato pancakes. (My mom always used the jarred kind, though- bet homemade would be just amazing.) I made a slaw salad with jicama, avocado, and roasted edamame, topped with a coconut caribbean jerk dressing. One day I will have a Cuisinart and the shreds will be beautiful and perfect- but that day was not today. But- today was the first time I've shredded my own cabbage for a slaw instead of using the bagged kind. What a difference!

o

Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 8:39

Ruthanna, that sounds really good. I put some in mac and cheese last night, but there's still some left!

o

Posted by lalitha (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 0:30

I have never participated in a cook along thread but am a avid reader of all your wonderful recipes. Here is my maiden contribution. My DD 7 loves this dish with rice or pitas.

CABBAGE STIRFRY (A dish from southern India)

INGREDIENTS
cabbage � medium size � finely chopped
green chillies � 2 nos. I prefer serrano or thai chillies. Minced (OR)
Red chilli (whole) - 2 nos (do not use if you are using green chillis)
turmeric powder � 1/2 tsp
oil � 1 tbsp
brown or black mustard seeds � 1 tsp
split pigeon peas or channa dal � 1 tbsp
curry leaves � a few (If you can find them in Indian grocery store)
salt � to taste
Asafoetida � a pinch (optional)
Fresh coconut grated or dry unsweetened grated coconut - 2 tbsp (optional)
carrots � 2 (optional) grated
onion � medium � 1 no. (optional) - fine dice
Mung beans soaked and cooked till tender but not too soft(optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Keep everything ready as this dish moves fast. Heat a wok or a wide saute pan. Add the oil. When it begins to smoke a bit, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter (covering with the lid or a splatter screen is a good idea here). When the noise dies down, add the asafoetida, the split pigeon peas or channa dal and toast until it begins to turn brown. Add the chilli and and the curry leaves (crumple a bit with your hands to bruise the leaves. This releases the essential oils). Saute until the chilli looks toasted. The oil is now seasoned with all the spices and will work magic on the veggies that follow. Turn heat to high and add the onion if using. Stir fry. When the onion begins to brown, add the cabbage and stir fry till it is well mixed. Cover and let cook for 3 mins or so. Add grated carrots and cooked mung beans if using and mix well. Sprinkle the turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Cover and cook. The stirfry is done when the cabbage is crisp tender.It should look pale and not turn brown. Depending on how dry the cabbage was or how much water content it had, this can be 5 mins or more. Stir occasionally to avoid the cabbage browning. Take off the heat and garnish with the coconut if using. This works beautifully with plain steamed rice or flat breads like lavash, chapathi or as a filling for pitas or mushu wrappers.

Lalitha

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 1:09

I have never participated in a cook along thread but am a avid reader of all your wonderful recipes. Here is my maiden contribution. My DD 7 loves this dish with rice or pitas.

CABBAGE STIRFRY (A dish from southern India)

INGREDIENTS

cabbage - 1 medium size, finely chopped
green chillies - 2 nos. I prefer serrano or thai chillies. Minced (OR)
Red chilli (whole) - 2 nos (do not use if you are using green chillis)
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
oil - 1 tbsp
brown or black mustard seeds - 1 tsp
split pigeon peas or channa dal - 1 tbsp
curry leaves - a few (If you can find them in Indian grocery store)
salt - to taste
Asafoetida - a pinch (optional)
Fresh coconut grated or dry unsweetened grated coconut - 2 tbsp (optional)
carrots - 2 (optional) grated
onion - medium - 1 no. (optional) - fine dice
Mung beans (green whole)soaked and cooked till tender but not too soft(optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Keep everything ready as this dish moves fast. Heat a wok or a wide saute pan. Add the oil. When it begins to smoke a bit, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter (covering with the lid or a splatter screen is a good idea here). When the noise dies down, add the asafoetida, the split pigeon peas or channa dal and toast until it begins to turn brown. Add the chilli and and the curry leaves (crumple a bit with your hands to bruise the leaves. This releases the essential oils). Saute until the chilli looks toasted. The oil is now seasoned with all the spices and will work magic on the veggies that follow. Turn heat to high and add the onion if using. Stir fry. When the onion begins to brown, add the cabbage and stir fry till it is well mixed. Cover and let cook for 3 mins or so. Add grated carrots and cooked mung beans if using and mix well. Sprinkle the turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Cover and cook. The stirfry is done when the cabbage is crisp tender.It should look pale and not turn brown. Depending on how dry the cabbage was or how much water content it had, this can be 5 mins or more. Stir occasionally to avoid the cabbage browning. Take off the heat and garnish with the coconut if using. This works beautifully with plain steamed rice or flat breads like lavash, chapathi or as a filling for pitas or mushu wrappers.

Lalitha

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 9:34

Welcome, Lalitha!

One of your listed ingredients, "Asafoetida - a pinch (optional)" is something I thought was a pouch of stinky stuff people used to wear to keep illness, and maybe every thing else away. Can you explain that ingredient?

Sally

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 12:32

Thank you, lalitha, and welcome out of lurkdom! Elery is so going to love this recipe. I'm headed for the Mediterranean grocery in a couple of weeks and I'm putting asafoetida, mung beans and channa dal on my list.

So that's two green chilies, minced? It says green chilies - 2 nos. That's two whole chilies?

Annie

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 14:54

Sally --> Asafoetida is actually a commonly used ingredient in indian and srilankan cooking. It is derived from roots of a plant related to the parseley family. You can find in all indian grocery stores in a powder form in little boxes. It is highly fragrant and is believed to be a digestive aid. It is either used in seasoning a dish in the beginning when it is added to the oil seasoning or at the end when a tiny pinch can be dissolved in a tbsp of water and sprinkled on top.

Annie --> Green chilli or red chilli is again for flavor.. feel free to reduce based on what your taste buds like. You can also just slit the chilli halfway and use that.. that will reduce the heat somewhat compared to mincing. For my daghter I usually use just 1 chilli slit.

You can also use Urad dal (looks small white skinned and split lentil) instead of chana dal.. This is very fragrant and a great ingredient to have for making indian food. It kind of works like a flavoring/ thickening agent in chutneys and curries.. similar to how pinenuts or other nuts work in pesto.

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 17:35

thanks, lalitha, I do have Urad dal, I have about 4 kinds of lentils, I like them and use them a lot.

I'm a wuss so I'd go for the split chilies, but Elery likes stuff HOT, with a capital "H", so I'd make it for him with minced chilies. I'd just have to take my portion out first.

Annie

o

Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 23:10

Thanks for coming out of lurkdom Lalitha! I'm always interested in trying new Indian recipes, and this one sounds great. I already love palaak paneer, with another of my favorite veggies!

I got some Asafoetida but I hardly ever use it. I can't even remember what I bought it for. I was thinking aloo mutter (sorry if that's not spelled correctly but I'm thinking of the dish with potatoes and peas) but I'm not sure it is one of the ingredients for that . . .

I can't make aloo mutter anymore because my SO can't eat peas, he claims they are bad for his gout. I guess I could make it with broccoli, which he loves. I really miss peas, lol!

o

Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 9:44

I'm eager to try your recipe, too, Lalitha, if I can find the ingredients. I'm pretty sure I can - I can find almost anything in the Dallas area. I'm pretty sure there's an Indian grocery not to far from me. Thanks for the info on Asafoetida.

Sally

o

Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 10:33

Because last weekend was busy, I made the traditional corned beef and cabbage on Tuesday.
I bought a point cut, I like it better because although it has that large fat cap, I can cut it off and the rest of the meat has less fat throughout than the flat.
I simmered the meat in my largest Dutch oven, just covered with water for a couple of hours, added about a pound of peeled carrots, cooked another hour or a little more, then added 6 peeled russet potatoes. Red would have been better but I had none, and when the pot had come back to a simmer, added a wedged up a head of cabbage. Yum but with only 4 people there were a lot of leftovers.
So last night I made scalloped cabbage and corned beef hash, and invited a friend who's family was out of town.
Oh my! Almost better than the original meal!
For the scalloped cabbage, I rough chopped the already cooked cabbage and layered it in a casserole with just a little thinly sliced onion, pepper on each layer, and poured about 3/4 cup of half and half mixed with a couple of Tablespoons of flour over the top....added some dry bread crumbs and a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese. Baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes.....and it was heaven!!

o

Posted by dukerdawg (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 11:22

Scalloped cabbage!?? Interesting...sounds great! Never thought of that. I love cabbage but I usually just add a couple tablespoons of bacon fat to a big deep pan, added rough chopped cabbage and a sliced onion, a handful of garlic cloves ...it gets like oven roasted garlic...very tasty but I love garlic..drizzle with some olive oil or vegetable oil, salt, pepper and fry until it looks good enough to eat! Don't overcook or it turns to mush :-(

Duane

o

Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 11:29

Well....this was pretty well mush. A lot of the flavor was due to the fact that the cabbage had been cooked in with the corned beef, then cooked again in a sort of cream sauce...
Yep...mush but good mush!!
If you aren't cooking the cabbage in with the corned beef, then you need to add bacon drippings of some crumbled bacon.

o

Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 12:51

Coleslaw report on the Cooking Light recipe I posted. BF downright hates it! It is just not "traditional" enough for him. Coleslaw must be creamy in his book. I like it and brought it to a party and it was well received. For cilantro lovers only, that's what makes the dish.

This is another favorite of mine, sort of like cabbage rolls deconstructed. I have to alter, because again, BF doesn't like sweet sour tastes.

Slow Cooked Italain Sausage Agrodolce (I usually make on the stovetop in my braising pan, and then finish in the oven. Also, I usually use fake meat italian sausages, or chicken or turkey ones)

2 TBLSP pine nuts toasted (can't afford these, usually use some other kind of seed or nut, like pepitas or walnuts)
1.5 lbs. mild italian pork sausage (or much less!)
1 TBLSP evoo
10 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced into bite sized pieces. Can use the savoy cabbage but I use regular, it's cheaper
3 cups peeled and diced red onion (how many onions this is depends on the size of onions you get. My local stores only seem to sell huge ones)
1/2 cup golden raisins (I use the regular brown ones most of the time)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil. Or add your own garlic to a can of diced tomatoes.
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (I use WAY less than this. I think I just add a splash of balsamic vinegar. It might work with 1/2 cup red wine, not vinegar but I haven't tried it that way.)
1 TBLSP sugar

Brown sausage and set aside. I chop it up into smaller pieces. Layer cabbage and onions in slow cooker, if using. I just sautee them in the evoo.
Combine raisins with tomato sauce ingredients. Pour atop the mixture and then top with the reserved sausages.
Set cooker on high for 4-6 hours or low 8-10 hours. Honestly my cooker cooks so fast that 3 hours on high or 5 on low would be about all it would take.
Serve garnished with toasted nuts if desired. I like also with a dab of lite sour cream. Could also serve with a poached egg.

o

Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 23:39

Time to think about our next ingredient, I draw a name tomorrow morning.

o

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 0:52

LPink, the slaw sounds like it would be right up my alley, although I have yet to find a good substitute for fish sauce (and the vegan ones I've tasted haven't really compared.) My hubby is the same way- his slaws have to be drenched in mayo, which I just can't stand. Lalitha, your dish sounds wonderful as well.

o

Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 8:43

Sorry, I got involved in spring house cleaning yesterday and forgot about this....

Just drew a name: *************LindaC************

Linda, I'll set up the next Cookalong when I find out what you want. Post it on this thread.

Nancy

o

Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 11:08

Linda has picked lamb for Cookalong #44

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #44 -----Lamb
o

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 23:39

FUMI SALAD

1 head cabbage
8 Tbsp slivered almonds (I double this)
8 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds (I double this too)
8 green onions, chopped
2 pkgs Top Ramen Noodles, DRY

Dressing (I make 1/2 this recipe)
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 c oil
2 tsp salt
6-8 Tbsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard
Slice cabbage thin like cole slaw. Toast almonds and sesame seeds. Mix dressing and toss with salad.
Throw out the Top Ramen seasoning packet. Crush the raw noodles and add them just before serving.
This would taste good with shredded chicken added too.

Comment

Sponsored