SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Source for very skinny bookcase or wood CD rack

I am putting together a home library. Two walls are to be all bookcases. The bookcases are all from Ikea, in a medium brown wood veneer.

However, since they are all assembled I am left with an odd space, of 6 1/ 2 inches. It looked like this was going to be simple: buy the bookcases, assemble them, arrange the books. Until I hit this snag. No matter how I move the bookcases around, that 6 ½ inches looks peculiar, whether I put it at the end or somewhere in the middle. The wall is too "visually" solid to stuff in a vase or something. ItÂs too narrow to put in a lamp. Wide bookcases are exactly twice the size of narrow ones, so recombining widths does not help.

Width needed : 6 to 6 3/8", Height needed: 41 ¾ to, say, 45-ish. If it were 45 or so, IÂd put a skinny little table lamp on it which I already have. Depth could be anything between 5 inches and 16.

Some kind of cd cabinet, wooden wine rack, or very skinny bookcase, between 5 and 6 ½, would be ideal. Stability is not as issue, as it will be sandwiched between bookcases. I have hunted at Ikea, online all over, and in stores like Hobby Lobby that have all kinds of small, practically useless furniture, and canÂt find anything that will fit the space. Unfinished is fine, IÂd just stain to match; wrong color is fine, IÂd paint it. It looks like I need to adapt something, but what?

I have been racking my brains for 3 weeks now, and am completely stumped. How do you do a search for something like this when itÂs mostly a specific SIZE you are looking for? There must be some creative solution out there that is just escaping me.

Though IÂm no woodworker, I have built lots of things, but this is my busy season for work. I am under the gun to get this done before relatives come to stay.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)