SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamurphgw

Buying first home - Title Ins question

mamurph
9 years ago

I've been a lurker for a couple of weeks and I decided that many of the users here are very knowledgeable when it comes to buying/selling and repairing homes. I decided that my first question would be posted here. Hopefully someone can help me out :)

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing our first home. We made it through the offer, the home inspection and negotiating repairs, and are finally in the last stages before closing which is end of August.

Our agent got us started with a title company and I was instructed to contact said title insurance agent and provide our ssn's because our last name is quite common.

She said they would use this to look for judgements. I informed her that I did have a civil judgement in a different state from where we are purchasing. I got this judgement long before I was married and in my youth and ignorance, just didn't take care of it. I did pay the judgement, earlier this year in fact. I am not on the mortgage, that is going to be in husband's name but I am going to be listed on the deed. The title agent said that it was good to know about this judgement before they started searching. I also provided her a document I received from the collection agency stating that I paid the amount and was no longer financially obligated to the company.

So there's the back story, here's the question: Is the title search just to find out if the property we are buying has any liens, judgements, issues, etc or will my judgement that I paid be an issue as well?

Comments (12)