SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nattaroni

Is this a typical first home buying experience?

Taliah
7 years ago

I've spent 2 days crying because I feel this is so unfair/ there is nothing we can do. Main realtor has 2 other realtors show us homes. We find a home. Realtor tells us she is good friends with seller's realtor/ such a great person (Both with KW). But, we must go all in & only request 1% buyer credit. Home is DIY semi reno & the work isn't quality. Both bathrooms need to be gutted, patio wood is rotted/ not safe. We go 15K below asking to cover repairs. She insists we go all in or have no chance at home. She doesn't bring up comps & the comps we found are 300k for a fully reno'd, ready to move in home. She comes back with a sad story that the seller's wife left him, took the kids, he can't afford the mortgage, & needs to sell the home. He bought the home for 310k 10 years ago & is losing a lot of $ on this sale. I'm a full time student, 6 months pregnant, living on one income & that is over budget. She says what we are offering is what previous offer was, & he will refuse. We are fine with that. After a discussion ask 5k under, 1.5% buyer credit. He counters 1.5% buyer credit & 1k OVER asking. We say no. Realtor comes back saying seller's family will help him pay for his losses & he accepts. Home needs repairs to bring up to code. Buyer offers credit & we accept. Later find out we can't accept more credit because we have "maxed out". No one told us, & realtor tells us it is too late for repairs. Why? She scheduled inspections too far out. He agrees on late repair. Home needs eves replaced, smoke detectors, self-closing garage door hinge, sewer repair. Preparing to move in & repairs aren't done- we have closed. We are told repairs will be done before we move. Final inspection: nobody there to walk us through, the wood gate is broken, garbage everywhere, only 1 smoke detector, eves not done, sewer comes back with more repairs needed- additional 3k just for that. We are told there is nothing we can do because sale has closed & this is what we get. We are stuck with an extra 3k out of pocket, still waiting for repairs, needing to repair broken gate, buy smoke detectors. I'm on my hands & knees cleaning floors, garbage, broken glass. I'm 8 months pregnant. 3k was our budget for a toilet, tub, painting/ moving. We don't have a working toilet & the tub is disgusting. Microwave, oven, & fridge that were advertised as "comes free with the home" don't work. No washer & dryer. Realtor gives us a $500 home depot gift card & offers to ground 3 rooms out of her commission. The rest is on us. We have refused to sign the "Verification of Property Condition", but keep getting hounded to sign that the house is in the condition we accepted. Realtor says there is nothing else that can be done.

Comments (34)