SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

furniture scratching deterrent for new kitty

3katz4me
10 years ago

My new kitty has claws and my old kitties do not. She loves to scratch the corners of the sofa and doesn't seem interested in any of the scratching devices I was hoping she'd use. She checks them out when I put some fresh catnip on them but that's about it. One of my old kitties who does not have claws loves the scratching post and uses it all the time. Unfortunately she doesn't. He also scratches on the sofas which of course isn't a problem without claws.

I've been trimming her claws but that doesn't really help with the furniture scratching though it helps the human scratches as her little nails are like needles when not trimmed.

What do you recommend to keep her from scratching the furniture? I saw some double sided sticky stuff but wondering if that works. I have enough trouble trimming her claws so there's no way I'm doing something like soft paws. I'm hoping there's something that would just deter her from going after my living roof sofa. I'm not so concerned about the old family room sofa or the box spring of our bed - the other two things she seems to like to scratch.

I'm one of those "awful" people who has had cats declawed and I've also adopted declawed cats. Ironically the only cat I've had with a behavioral problem is the current one who has her claws. She has had some litter box issues which she is getting over and I don't want to upset the progress by doing anything with her claws. Plus I'm really trying to make every effort to find a way to live with claws in a non-destructive way - not destructive to the humans or the household. Though my cats are all happy and well adjusted and have the best life a cat could ever hope for, in this day and age I still feel like the devil himself for declawing my cats. So I'm trying very hard not to go down that path with this one.

Comments (13)