SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

first kitty... tips and advice?

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

Hello all. I am really enjoying this forum! I am a 23 year old college student getting my first apartment next week! I have always lived with other people, family, then roomates. Now it's time to be on my own... but so I wouldn't be lonely I went to the SPCA and adopted a cat. He is an orange tabby (very faint orange... beautiful), 6 months old. He is so playful and gives the best kitty kisses. I named him Jasper! I've had him for about a month now... I got him early so we could get to know each other a little bit before the move. I just hope the move isn't traumatic on him since he is now used to our current place. It took me an hour to pick him out, but I knew I wanted to go to the SPCA so I could be sure the shots and neutering were taken care of. He is so playful and loving, he just melts my heart. I want to give him everything he wants all the time... I don't ever want to say no to him for anything because he is so sweet and gorgeous. But, I know that isn't practical. Are there ways to train cats? He will wake me up in the middle of the night for food sometimes... I usually feed him when I get up and in the evening when I have my dinner or get in from work. Sometimes he will get on kitchen table and counters, and climb the screen on the porch. How do you make sure a cat does what he is supposed to when he is supposed to? Is there any way to train a cat? I think it's impossible to do it with a cat, they aren't like dogs. Right now, I shake a pill bottle of pennies at him when he does something I don't approve of. I've heard of squirting them with a spray bottle of water, but I can't imagine doing that to him unless there's no other option. He also sticks his paw in the water dish and drinks from his paw and slaps the water out of the bowl onto the floor! Why does he do this, and how can I help him stop? I really just want to let him do anything he wants, but I don't want a cat that is a spoiled brat. Also, my current roomate wants me to take his all black cat as well so Jasper will have a playmate when I am at work. Is this a good idea for cats? I know they are idependent. My roomate named his cat "You" (spelled OIU)... Her new name will be Jayden if I get her... there's no way in hell I'm calling a cat "You". I don't think cats know their names anyway, please correct me if I am wrong. Anyway, my roomate got Jayden to be from a couple that was in the apartment across the way... they were evicted and couldn't keep her so he took her in. She's 2 years old and he's had her for a year, but doesn't like cats and said he only wants to worry about his two mexican hairless pups. Jayden is a very reserved quiet (and fat after the spaying) cat, and Jasper is a young boisterous, playful guy, so I am wondering about their two different personalities long term. They do play wrestle and its very fun to watch. The orange and black colors together are quite lovely... no halloween jokes please! So, is it a good idea to take the second cat? I may not have gotten Jasper if my roomate had told me he didn't want to keep You/Jayden, but I am glad I did. My one bedroom apartment is going to be so full of love, the walls will burst. It's for sure worth the non refundable 250 pet deposit for all the joy I'll be receiving in return. What are some of your favorite bond building activities with your cats? I've never had any of my own pets before... they've always been family share pets or roomates' pets, so this is a new experience! But, I'm enthralled, can't wait to get moved in and settled with my new furry family. Thanks for any advice.

Comments (6)