SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Kitty scared us both this morning

sweetchastity
14 years ago

I was making breakfast and heard an awful noise that I realized was one of my cats. I went and my younger cat Muffin was sitting on the first step downstairs with her claw caught on the carpet, her paw twisted and the pads of her paw facing up. Well I was upset but calmly went over and picked her up in a way she could untwist her paw. She then tried to run away but I knew she'd hide and I wouldn't be able to check her paw so I held her and comforted her (probably only worked on me) then gently checked her paw and kissed it to see if it hurt. I put her down and she didn't bolt and walked fine but when I first saw her paw I thought 'OMG, she's cutting the circulation off to her paw!' Now I'm sure she's more flexible than us and it probably looked worse and if she got injured it would be a pulled claw or knuckle/joint but I still don't want her to get hurt in anyway (I'm a bit of an over-protective mother and worrier).

I still can't get the experience out of my mind because I keep thinking 'what if I wasn't home?'. So I have decided to discourage her from lying on the stairs clawing the carpet on the step above (we're replacing the carpet so we don't care about its condition). It looks so cute but I don't ever want a reaccurace. I will snap my fingers, point and say eh, hey or tssstt and if that doesn't work go with the coins in a pop can noise when I see her doing it. I also thought that I can buy the spray used on furniture to discourage them from sharpening their claws on it. Neither of my cats are de-clawed and never will be unless I have absolutely no choice. They have scratch poles and in the last year and a half they have not damaged our furniture.

I also know that long claws probably contributed to the event. I don't trim their claws as much as I should, they hate it and squirm and growl at me. I would like some advice on how to get them to submit to the procedure because I am very nervous about cutting the pink part of the claw but only because they squirm. I do try to get them when they are sleeping/sleepy but I'd like them to stop squirming.

Has anyone ever had something like this happen to their cat?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (12)