SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manda3183

Constipated Kitty (Warning - LONG)

manda3183
13 years ago

Hi All - I haven't been on the forum in quite awhile, but have had a scare recently and am hoping for some advice.

A couple weeks ago, on Mother's Day, I awoke at about 4am to the sound of one of my cats vomiting. I turned on the lights to discover that my elder cat (4 years) was vomiting over and over, and I began cleaning up behind her as she ran away from me. Soon, my husband awoke, and went downstairs to check on her and to look for additional messes to clean up. At this point, he found her vomiting blood and we rushed her to the emergency vet.

At the vet, they determined that she was extremely constipated. I was told that this is sometimes caused by stress. She had gotten her yearly shots earlier in the week, first time at a new vet as we moved just less than a year ago. So, I guessed that perhaps this was the cause, or at least what may have aggravated the situation. I was instructed to give her Lactulose at varying amounts and number of times per day, for the next week, and to call in a couple days with an update. We'll call the vet we saw at the emergency visit Dr. X

The vet we saw was not one of the regular vets, so when I called back I spoke with a different vet. We'll call this one Dr. Z. Dr. Z wanted me to bring my cat in for additional x-rays to see how she was doing, and I explained that I was concerned that it was the initial vet visit that set this off, and that I preferred not to bring her in unless absolutely necessary. Dr. Z informed me that cats once a cat has been put on Laculose, it is likely that they will need to take it for life.

So, a few days later I called back at night to talk to Dr. X, who agreed that I should NOT bring my pet back in due to the stress that it seems to cause her, and instructed me a regiment of lowering the dosage and intervals in which it is given to help wean my cat off of it. She did say that in many cases if a cat has problems with constipation once, that it is often a recurring problem and MAY need to be treated on a permanent basis, but that she wants it to be the least amount given as possible if at all.

So, we follow these instructions, and a few days after getting the dose to 1 small amount per day, my cat vomited 3 times. One evening, that my husband failed to inform me of, and 2 times the next morning. Now, granted, there was a lot of hair in one of these messes, so it may have just been a hairball. This particular cat has always had minor stomach issues. Just to be sure, I called the vet, and again spoke with Dr. Z., who now told me (actually, I didn't speak with the vet this time, just a receptionist relaying the vets message) to up the dose to twice a day indefinitely.

This seems a bit excessive to me, and I definitely feel like I am getting very mixed responses from the 2 vets. Dr. X truly seems to have the best intentions for my cat (and my finances) at heart. Dr. Z may well know what they are doing and also have best intentions at heart, but right from the beginning indicated a permanent fix and wanting to do X-rays on a more regular basis, which is $$$! I should point out that Dr. X is emergency vet only, and Dr. Z is a regular vet at the clinic I take my pets to.

So... I am curious who out there has had a constipated cat, what the treatment was, and how long the treatment lasted. Any additional advice would be appreciated. I am kind of unsure where to go from here... and whether I should seek advice from a vet somewhere not associated with my 24 hour clinic for another opinion.

Thank you!

Comments (16)