SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwitch_gw

warning about kitty litter cakes

swampwitch
17 years ago

I'm concerned about the many recipes on the web for "kitty litter cakes" or "litter box cakes" that are served in (clean, new) litter boxes with litter scoopers. These items are NOT food-grade plastic. We use so much plastic in cooking and serving that we tend to think all plastics are created equal, when unfortunately, they are not. Non-food-grade plastics leach some really nasty chemicals into food. Serious long-term health problems can be a result of ingesting these chemicals. No one knows how much exposure can cause problems, but they are absorbed into the food immediately upon contact.

Some recipes say to line the litter box first. It is O.K. to use non-food-grade plastic if it is lined with food-grade plastic (litter box liners and garbage bags are not food-grade since they were never intended for food storage). And I would use the scooper for decoration only.

For more information (or if you don't believe me), search for "storing foods in plastic." The Canadian Cancer Society has a page devoted to this, too.

Cheers, from

SwampWitch

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions