Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

Albino bluebonnet!

lou_spicewood_tx
17 years ago

Comments (25)

• lindseyrose
    17 years ago

What an awesome find, and a fabulous capture! I love it! Thank you for sharing!!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Yes, thank you, I haven't seen one in years
    jolana

• TxMarti
    17 years ago

My neighbor has several in her front yard. They just came up this year after several years of just blue bluebonnets. Reminds me of genetics class.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

Cool! Is it magnetic?(You can tell I watched "Powder" the Movie too many times with my albino aunt-in-law....)PJ

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

Wouldn't that make it a 'White'bonnet????

Kt

• denisew
    17 years ago

I didn't know they would do that. Crazy what will happen with plants, huh?!

• remuda1
    17 years ago

Very pretty! Lucky you and thanks for posting it :)

Kristi

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Kt

If this one is a white bonnet, then the maroon ones must be a maron bonnet! You know, TAMU! HA!

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Well, this is my first one to see and I grew up in bluebonnet country --- thanks for sharing it. I suppose we could borrow from the old addage "a rose by any other name" and say, "a bluebonnet by any other color".

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alamo Fire or Maroon bluebonnets that I grew from seeds. I have to admit that I didn't think they'd turn out great.

The color is baby blue or light blue color in the same area where I found white bluebonnet...

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was unbelievable! EVERYWHERE! It smells so great there!

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Ahhh, that is soooo pretty
    Where was that?
    The last *albinos* I saw were in Victoria, TX in 1985
    jolana

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This one had red markings at the bottom instead of usual white. I tried to look for them days later to take more pictures but I couldn't recall where exactly. :(

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jolana,

It's in Midlothian where I live. It's a large field by my subdivision where I take my dog there for him to run around wild.

• jolanaweb
    17 years ago

Well, thank you for posting them, they are so very pretty

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My dog Hershey having fun jumping over bluebonnets...

• stitches216
    17 years ago

Thanks lou, that field (and photos) rival my sweetest dreams!

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

OHHHHHHHHH! Heck the 1700 mile move was worth the Blue Bonnets! PJ

• kentuck_8b
    17 years ago

Yes Lt, maroon bluebonnets, a must for every Aggie. I grow some here at my gate down at the road.

I did however, find a maroon bluebonnet growing wild amongst regular bluebonnets, back in the 1980's while looking for some 'white'bonnets. A VERY rare find indeed!! I have only found one in over 40 years of searching bluebonnets.

I found some more white ones today. Every year I find some, and if you notice, usually you find them in the same areas as the previous years, so it must be more than nutritional, and more genetic.

Kt

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Breathtaking photos - thank you so much. I hope they are still abundant a week from now so I may get to see them.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

The white spot turns red "ish" once the bloom has been pollinated.

Back in the 70's there were several patches of whites at the interchange of I 35, I 10 and the exit for W.W. White Rd. on the SE side of San Antonio.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    17 years ago

natvtxn,

Really? There are millions of bluebonnets in that field and pretty much all of them have white spot... Hmm... this reminds me of that bee thread. I didn't see any bees there for some reason. I was afraid i'd run into bees while chasing my 22 months old daughter through the field but never saw one bee at all. You'd think it'd be a heaven for bees!

• armyyife
    17 years ago

Oh my those are just breath taking! I wish I could see it in person!

• memo3
    17 years ago

How beautiful that must be in person. Even your dog is enthralled by them! Thanks for sharing, the pics are great.

MeMo

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

The fields of bluebonnets are simply amazing, what a treat to be able to see such a sight in person.

A......