SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

I am Having the Best Time

Cherryfizz
12 years ago

Re connecting with old acquaintances.

Two of my high school friends started a Face Book group for the people that were proud to be from our little town that was annexed by Windsor in the 1960's. After our beloved meeting place - the arena - was torn down this summer we all felt the loss of that building deeply. Our lives all connected one way or another in the arena.

Some of us started out in that group as just acquaintances - someone we knew from the neighbourhood, the arena or school classrooms and hallways. Acknowledging each other but never being friends. Well, now we all have become friends through our collective memories. Now the group isn't so much into reminiscing but just friends old and new getting together and chatting, sharing humour, stories of our lives - past and present and supporting each other in sad times. Almost like the KT but more personal.

We are a group of published writers (how our teachers would be proud), singer -song writers, musicians, lawyers, artists,doctors, backstage hands, proud parents and grandpaerents. Many walks of life are represented by the people of our little group of 350 or so members. I have laughed myself silly until I cried and cried because of someone who is hurting. I love this group.

We decided to have a get together thinking only 30 or so of the usual posters would meet up but the event swelled to over 80 people crammed into a small local bar. I have never been hugged so much in my life!! Our musician friends sang their songs and played their guitars, our resident poet read her poems of growing up in our small town. I am the proud owner of one of her books - The Truth About Rollerskating which features one of my roller skates on the cover. Some of our teachers showed up and actually look younger than some of us.

I harboured a surprise guest in my home for a few days before the party and boy she sure was a surprise at the get together. We were sneaky and somehow pulled it off.

Oh the pictures that were taken. I don't like to have my picture taken - I have issues with how I look. I don't mind seeing pictures of myself before the age of 16 but when I see pictures of myself from the age of 17 and beyond I can see the exact moment I started to gain weight and why. Not a good time in my life but seeing these pictures now has been like an intervention and even though I don't like how I look I can finally look at myself without thinking about the time I was sexually "groped" by a family friend and how my screams were laughed at and ignored. Now I can laugh at my pictures or make comments on them. I am who I am and that young girl who was hurting is now gone thanks to this group of friends.

I love how some of us wouldn't hang around together in our youth because they were part of the popular group or whatever but after talking we have all realized we were all feeling the same feelings of teenaged angst at the same time and not thinking we were fitting in or not being part of the "cool" group. I love how we all know now that we were noticed by someone at the time even though we never knew it.

New friends for life. What a wonderful thing.

Anne

Comments (14)