SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

A New Year's Eve mini-disaster

alisande
12 years ago

My woodstove has been doing a lot of smoking every time I opened the stove door (my own fault because I mistakenly burned some wood that wasn't quite ready), and I was concerned about breathing it. When I told my son, he said we should take the stove pipe apart, and take the lid off the stove and vacuum it out.

So I let the stove die out and shoveled out as much of the ash as I could, and this afternoon we proceeded with the plan. When my son turned on my shop vac we were impressed with the speed with which it sucked the ash out of the vacuum. But while we watched the end of the hose we failed to notice that all the ashes were coming out the back end of the shop vac, blown into my living room.

All of a sudden the room was grey and we were breathing wood ash. What a mess. We didn't realize the HEPA filter had come loose from the vacuum unit inside. We probably should have exited the house right then and there, but we took the vac apart, put it back together and went back to vacuuming. I opened a window, but I hate to think how much of that stuff we breathed.

I'm glad I have leather furniture......I just used damp leather wipes to remove a grey film. I don't even want to look at my piano, as the vac exhaust was aimed in its direction.

At least my mini-disaster wasn't a fire.

Comments (25)