SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

Puppy people! New mom needs help!

rosemaryt
15 years ago

I have a new Sheltie puppy in my home. It's been more than 10 years since I did this and apparently, I've forgotten a LOT. As soon as I'm able to sleep again, I'll post some pictures of this most-adorable (but noisy) creature. She's seven weeks old and just came "home" on Friday morning. I thought seven weeks was young, but she was weaned.

The housebreaking is going very well. We're doing "crate training" and there have been NO accidents. She potties outside - faithfully - and even goes to the same area in the yard. I think she's a smart little dog. She's also learned how to "fetch" and she follows me around wherever I go.

I've already spent hours online, reading different advice from different sources, but I still have questions:

1) How big is a six-pound Sheltie's bladder? How long should a tiny dog like this be able to "hold it"? She's waking me up twice at night (2 am and 5 am) for pottying. I don't know if it's "Mom, I'm lonely" or "Mom, I gotta go" but she whimpers and begs and when we go outside, she potties immediately. But I'm *tired*.

2) Do puppies know when to stop eating? I put out dry kibble and she doesn't seem too interested, but then other times, she eats a lot. Do puppies have the sense to stop when they're full?

3) How much time should they sleep during the day? She spent four hours in our fenced-in yard chasing me and following me and playing with the neighbor's dog. FOUR hours. And the she took a 20-minute nap and was raring to go again. I thought puppies slept a LOT.

4) How much time should they be in the crate during the day? I just bought a puppy playpen (will be delivered soon) because I don't want to put her in the crate, too much! But when she's out, she's chewing on everything and anything. And yes, our floor is already *covered* with doggy chew toys. She prefers the woodwork, the rug, our shoes, my toes, etc., to her chew toys.

5) She's adorable and funny and silly and sweet, but I'd forgotten how intense puppyhood is. It's like having a new baby in the house! When do puppies stop trying to kill themselves in your house? When can you leave them alone in the house?

6) Whining. She whimpers and whines a LOT. If her people leave the room, she goes nuts with the whining. Is this just because she's still such a baby? She doesn't just whimper; she carries on as though someone is causing her great pain. As soon as her people appear, she's ecstatic. Is it possible to spoil a little puppy? She prefers to sleep in our lap but there are times when we need a little break.

I'll have more questions soon. I'm going to take a nap right now because the baby is sleeping. You know what they say...when the baby sleeps, the mom should sleep.

Thanks.

Rose

Comments (20)