SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_ont

Question about the shelf life of fresh turkeys!

nicole_ont
15 years ago

My mom called a grocery store on Saturday to see if she could order a 20 lb. fresh turkey for Christmas. She figured she'd pick it up Christmas Eve (tomorrow!) evening to cook on Thursday. The meat manager called her back and said that they had one there that was 19 lbs., and would that be okay. She had figured that it would be killed closer to Christmas - not be in the store already. She asked about this, and he said that it would be fine for Christmas - that all of their Christmas turkeys had been killed before the weekend. She ended up not ordering one, but went to the grocery store and just bought one yesterday.

Now I've always thought that poultry was only good for 2 or 3 days in the fridge. Is that not right? She called another grocery store and they told her basically the same as the first. I went grocery shopping last night and checked the fresh turkeys out of curiosity and some were dated best before January 5! She now has a turkey sitting in the fridge waiting to be cooked on Thursday. The thought of that is kind of icky to me, but I figured you all would know.

What's the story?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations