SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patti43

2010 Calendars

patti43
14 years ago

Used to be we'd get seven or eight calendars around Christmas time from various businesses we'd dealt with. We didn't get a single one this year. Guess I'll have to buy one--it's how I keep track of DHarry's doctor appointments.

Do you still get them in your area?

Comments (42)

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

They are available, but I haven't picked one up. I use a dayplanner, and have three calendars (one here at the puter, one in the kitchen by the phone and one out by the bikes) already on the walls.

I love picking up calendars when I travel. Gives me joy the whole next year, to look at those gorgeous pictures of where I had been. :)

Moni

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

From Allstate But I like to get the desk planners at the Dollar stores they are nice sturdy and lots of room to jot things down.
    I usually pick up one for the purse too I keep one check in it and a few bills and some numbers.
    I had to buy an expensive desk calendar last year ugh I have several for 2010 one to jot down computer upgrades and clean outs etc.

• Related Discussions

Idyll # 472 Earth Shaking Color

Q

Comments (102)
    Take a day off for quality family time and look at what greets me upon my return! Very cool pictures, you guys. (I have no idea whatsoever how to put text over a picture, either, so I'm in pretty good company, I see!). My thoughts are with Woody today as something in the back of mind says the 16th. is the big day? May the wind be steady and the seas smooth, a beam reach toward recovery, my friend. Brenda, Jude looks pretty good for one so freshly "out of the brine", so to speak. Try to use some restraint with the pictures though, willya?! :) I see spring everywhere in your garden, Kathy. Probably just because we who love to watch spring overtake the ground know what to look for... . I will have to look for that book, Denise. While Cromwell has a pretty grim reputation (the architect behind the fall of Ann Boleyn) he suffered mightily at his own fall. What many do not appreciate, however, is what a very, very capable official "Mr. Secretary" was, as was his predecessor (and mentor), the equally disgraced Cardinal Wolsey. Too often the depth and real worth of a person is lost in the myth. Henry VIII was fortunate to have such astute, capable, hardworking men at his right hand... ..I also want to read "In Fed We Trust" by David Wessel (Wall St. Journal and frequent NPR contributor). Wow, the bear vs. plane series is a sobering reminder of the power and drive in an animal that is looking for food! When park officials tell you not to leave food in your car or bring it into your tent it's wise to take the advice to heart, huh? Big day here, today. The pride had to go to the veterinary clinic for shots. Polly and Vera in their suitcases, Spencer wearing his jaunty red harness. All are in good condition, had some tartar scraped off their back teeth, and came home with the yearly dose of Drontal. They have been successful hunters over the months and as a result are little "mobile homes" for all manner of worms. ;) But not for long! We are having "linner" again today, and it smells pretty good. Gotta go.
    ...See More

2010 AARS Winner

Q

Comments (13)
    It's pretty. I'd be interested in how the blooms age, how tall/wide it gets and of course disease resistance. I like the looks of the new bloom color in your picture but if it bleaches out or looses form in only a few days that means I would be forced to deadhead every day or so in our sweltering summers to keep the bush looking tidy. I don't like doing that any more. A/C is my friend.
    ...See More

New 2010 Garden Calendar for Southwest Missouri

Q

Comments (2)
    Friends of the Garden is entirely volunteer, really great group of people who helped to raise the money to build the new Botanical Center and who maintain the gardens at Close Memorial Park. One of them volunteered to create the calendar. I think it'll be useful and fills a much needed niche. I always wondered how anyone found out about anything. Not everyone reads the paper..., etc. Directions and contact information are certainly helpful.
    ...See More

* Updated 2010 East TN Plant Events Calendar *

Q

Comments (7)
    Well, if you missed either of the sales today, you probably didn't miss much. Fewer vendors were at each locations. And, generally, the plants were the same stuff you find at Walmart, but just a lot more expensive. The really cool things often seen at the Ijams sales were just not there. Next up will be... Saturday, 8 May 2010, 9am - 2pm : Spring Plant Sale at the UT Gardens in Knoxville Here is a link that might be useful: UT Gardens
    ...See More
  • lydia1959
    14 years ago

I like a calendar with thick pages, the free ones are just too thin for me. I did get a couple freebies, I'll use one at my computer desk and give the other away. I've had a Susan Branch calendar for the past 2 years, they're printed on thick paper and pretty darn cute too.

• jannie
    14 years ago

I got three this year. From my Town, my pharmacy, and my insurance guy. Also one of those little Hallmark purse size.

• ritamay91710
    14 years ago

Michaels has them for $1.00

• dotmom
    14 years ago

Yeah, whats up? We get ours from our bank, and other years they were sitting in piles on a side table. usually two or three subjects of pictures. This year, in meddle December Hubs & I went in to sign our revised wills and I looked around and, no calendars. When we left, I asked one of the tellers if they had calendars, and she said yes and i had my choice of pictures, puppies & kitties or wild life. I said wild life and could we get two? She looked at me kind of funny, but went behind the teller cages and got them for me. I've never seen them rationed before. Dottie

• Maura63
    14 years ago

I LOVE calendars. This might be the first year that I am not hitting the 50% off sale at Barnes & Noble because I can't restrain myself, LOL.

I bought a full-priced :::gasp:: calendar of my DD's campus while visiting in the fall. That hangs on a closet door in my office, I don't use it to record anything - I like the photos. I have another calendar on the fridge - everything gets recorded on this: I think it is by Daytimer, no photos, but pretty big spaces that are ruled. Have used this for more than 10 years. Another small calendar hangs in the laundry room, and another (freebie) hangs on a door in the finished basement. Each kid likes a wall calendar in their room.

I also use a desktop Palm program on the computer, Oh, and I have a paper desk planner too (because the former teacher in me needs to).

Told you, I love calendars (planners). It's a wonder I still can't manage to be on time for things.

• mariend
    14 years ago

I too did not get many calendars. Got a beautiful one from the Voice of Prophecy with great pictures and Bible verses. I love the prints. Got one other and that is all. But then how many large ones do I need? Also, anyone near a 99c store check them out. My brother sent me several from last year that are 18 months and really nice for $1.00 each.

• clubm
    14 years ago

I have been buying from the animal humane soiety. They are
    30 dollars each but its a well worth donation!

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Neighbor gave me a wonderful day planner last year, and so enjoyed it with beautiful pictures he had taken and use for the calendar.

I didn't get one this year, so need to get one.

Thanks for the reminder.

• Kathsgrdn
    14 years ago

I don't think I've had a free one in years. Love picking out new ones every year, though. This year was golden retrievers...someday I'm getting another one. And the coming year is "paradise"...lot of tropical pictures, cause I'm finally going to Hawaii this summer.

• patti43
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the daily planners--used to keep my journal in them. I just need a plain old calendar to keep track of appointments and shows the whole month so I can see them all quickly. I like to write down all the family/friend birthdays, too. Not that I always remember to get cards, but I try.

I love the Susan Branch calendar. Sturdy would be nice!

• joan_mn
    14 years ago

I always use my own pics and get calendars made. This year I made them for my family and my DIL made one for me (we both used Vistaprint) using pics of my grand kids. We both put in birthdays, etc., so guess we'll have no excuse to forget anybody!

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I only got one free one this year,my GF picked it up at Ace Hardware.The rest i bought at the 99 cent store,and do so every year,i also send the dollar calendars to my GK'S with their other presents and the pocket size weekly planners.I always used to get magnetized ones from realtors,the insurance co's etc.Havn't gotten any of those in years.
    Kathi

• pekemom
    14 years ago

We get one from State Farm, sometimes I buy a pekingese one.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

The only free calendar I have gotten for the last 2-3 years is from the insurance company that I have my Medicare supplement with.

Used to get several every year. I guess they are trying to save trees; more likely $$ though. I wish they would send a calendar instead of a zillion address labels!

Pekemon, I have SF insurance and haven't gotten a calendar from them for a while.

I really need only one calendar. More than one would be confusing to me!

The best calendar I ever had was a computer calendar from AT&T. Can't find that any more; guess they have dropped it.

Sue

• jannie
    14 years ago

When i worked for Social security, we got posters from headquarters each year showing the check payment dates (Social Security checks are mailed/deposited on alternate Wednesdays). Our customers used to grab the posters off the wall, assuming they were free gift calendars. Sheesh!

• pekemom
    14 years ago

sue va, maybe some agents don't send out calendars, we're in Colorado..........Pekemom

• liz
    14 years ago

DH got me a "Collie" calendar for Christmas...It'll probably remain in the kitchen. I have at least 2 more to get before Jan 1...I keep one in our bathroom so DH knows when I'm working and one in my office so I know when I'm working and for dr's appts and such...I better go get looking for some!!

I haven't seen a free calendar in years...Our town used to send them out but haven't done that in awhile...it had all kinds of coupons on it! I loved it! Remember the kind that used to have little pockets on them? I'm really dating myself here!!

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

I always buy the 365 Cats calendar to go next to the computer because the back of each day is scratch paper, which I love. I get a freebie from my insurance agent every year and my brother sends a lovely one every year from the Bahamas, beautifully illustrated and with recipes, too. I also was given 2 free ones from a local sewing center, which was a bonus and they've really come in handy as she gave them to me in Oct. So I'd have to say- more this year than last.

My mother's bank has great historical calendars every year but so many people who weren't customers would go in to get them that they started making you prove you were a customer to get one. They have old photos of our town and the people and activities and are sort of collectible. I guess they got tired of being taken advantage of by non-customers.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Once in awhile my husband might bring one home from an insurance agent, but usually my calendars are store bought. I got a pretty one of flower gardens for Christmas. I would like maybe two or three more or I may just print off a calendar page each month if I don't get any. I'm like some others, I don't like the flimsy paged ones, they tend to curl downward as they hang.

Sue

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention- I have a calendar waiting to be framed, 2010, all 12 months on it. My artist friend makes up a new one every year and has them printed out to give to her customers. I have a oak frame that I had made about 5 years ago that I'm able to open up, remove the old calendar, cut a new mat if I need to and then reassemble it and hang back on the wall. It's in the office, too, so I have the whole year at a glance, which is very handy sometimes.

And I print out a paper one that hangs in the laundry room, it has a wooden board that holds it and has seasonal ovals that I painted that are changed out every 3 months. I use Photoshop to print them out, staple them together, hang them up. I used to buy the blank calender sheets from a company until I learned that I could do it myself with ease.

• cynic
    14 years ago

I got a pocket calendar from the auto repair shop I've spent a lot of money at the last few years. It's still in the envelope. I use the calendar on the computer. I'm usually at the computer when I need a calendar anyway so a paper one isn't much use to me these days.

• Marcia Thornley
    14 years ago

We give away calendars at work every year. People come in just to pick one up!
    They are expensive to buy. The kiosk at the mall each year sells them for $10 - $20 each!
    No way would I spend that.
    I like the ones that have enough space to write notes on each day. Always have one by the computer to keep track of bills, appointments etc.

• sue_va
    14 years ago

Went to the $Tree a couple days ago to pick up a few things and I looked for a calendar. Couldn't find any. I asked the checker if they had any and she said one kind but it just had cars on it. I told her I didn't care what it had on it, I just want a calendar, so where are they? She said they were over on top of the coke machine. Of course, doesn't every store keep the calendars on top of the coke machine? She was very nice though and got one for me.

It is a really nice one. Sixteen months. Nice weight paper pages with a lot of space for notes. Bright colors. 11"x12" and has a smaller one (5x6) with it. All the pics are Classic cars.

The car featured on the cover shows a White TRANS AM with a license plate with my 8 year old GGS's name on it!

On the back of the calendar it says it is made by a company in MA. Suggested Retail price USA $9.95.

Can't beat that for a dollar!

Sue

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

The farm and garden store where I trade always has an almanac calendar that has more information than I ever wanted to know.

All the Zodiac signs - pointing out what to plant , when to plant, when to pick. Also points out all the holidays (some I never heard of) and important peoples' birthdays.

I wish any of you who needed such information could have one.

• chisue
    14 years ago

Don't know how I would manage more than ONE calendar. I keep our old ones for years, so I can go back and find out when we got the whatsis shots, or had the dog's teeth cleaned, or whatever.

We're without a calendar until we get to Maui in January and buy one to bring home. The 2009 calendar has beautiful travel posters from the early days of travel to Hawaii. I make notes on the margins of 'December' until we get home with the calendar.

No 'client' calendars came to us this year. Just as well, as they only go into recycling.

• FlamingO in AR
    14 years ago

I give the ones that I don't want to the thrift shop and they can sell them or give them away to their customers. Or to my mom, she likes calendars, too.

• linda_in_iowa
    14 years ago

A friend gave me a 2010 calendar with pictures of Bichon puppies. She actually gave it to me in August. At the feed store I got a pocket calendar for free. I gotta have my pocket calendar with me at all times.

• cherbo
    14 years ago

My husband worked for and is retired from Caterpillar. We always got a nice big calendar from them every year. This year we got a letter saying they will no longer be sending these out for free, but they can be purchased for a fee. :o( First time in my married life I will not have a Caterpillar calendar hanging in my kitchen.

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

Two freebies here. I got one at the bank with nice local photos for each month and DH brought home one with cute pics from a local antique store. I just need to have one to hang in the kitchen and write appointments and b-days on. Don't know where I'll put the other one.

• milosmom_gw
    14 years ago

So far I think we've dragged in one from the hardware store, the insurance comp, the bank, the pharmacy and the feed store but DH has uses for all of them it seems (his car, his work locker, his garage ect). I have no idea what he does with them all except for the sticky one I covet for my truck. I always buy a purse sized one to go in the checkbook, a desk one to make notes on, a bindered one to keep track of bills ,appointments, kid schedules and everything else and then my neccessary Pug themed calendar for the kitchen wall and the Rescue Pug calendar for above the desk mainly for the pictures.

• chisue
    14 years ago

cherbo -- Oh, please buy the Caterpillar calendar! (Makes me sad to think of you without one after so many years!)

• trishaw
    14 years ago

We did not get a single freebie this year. I generally buy two little ones for myself but the Dollar General where DH works sold out of them before I got one! I got a big one at Target for a buck, but I NEED a small one for my desk. DH has purchased a special one for me each year, a Pattern A Day Cross Stitch but we could not find one this year. We skipped the mall and they probably had them at the kiosk. Darn it! Oh well.

Trish

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

I used to buy the ones at the mall Kiosks just for the pictures.My kitchen is decorated with cows(will change soon) so i'd buy the cow calendars and then frame the pictures that i liked,so i had cows for every season.It's called cheap decorating.LOL Havn't even been to the mall for several years now,a shopper i'm not!!!
    Kathi

• Dee1
    14 years ago

Only one free calendar here and that is a purse planner from my church. They give one out every year. Then I got my annual Miniture Pinscher calendar from my hubby for Christmas. I have a red female min pin, but there are only a couple of pictures of red ones. I had a black and tan male before (Tyler) and I loved him too much!! I also have an inspirational Daily Planner for my desk and that I bought at the Christian Book Store. That's all the calendar's we have. I also keep a white board in the kitchen to write down appointments too. I need to write them down in more than one space because I have CRS syndrome!
    Dee in Michigan

• kathy813
    14 years ago

Our small drug store gives out free Norman Rockwell calendars each year. I really enjoy them. I bought my day planner that I keep in my purse on Ebay. Have to have one of those for my bill paying schedule, etc. Used to get free ones from drug reps at our office but they can't give them out anymore due to new laws. No pens or note pads either.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Got one from Dollar Tree and do not like it.
    There's no spiral thingie at the top so pages don't go back nicely. You have to crease the pages and they are flimsy!

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

Now that you mention it, I haven't received a free/advertising one in the mail in a couple years, either. If I need a paper calendar, I just print one using Publisher. Chick Fil A restaurants sell calendars every year. I bought theirs for the first time last week just b/c it features parodies on classic literature with cows for the characters and twisted "bovine" titles. I thought it was hilarious and perfect for hanging in a reading classroom. It was $6 and is full of coupons to Chick Fil A.

• azzalea
    14 years ago

I like the free one from Turkey Hill. I'm on their mailing list and they mail one every year. It's a bit narrower than most, and fits better in the space I have to hang it. And the best part, it's got one whole page of ice cream coupons! Can't beat that deal! And they're always lovely. This year's is quilt designs.

DH picked up several in his travels in the past few weeks. Couple from hardware stores, one from a diner. My bank usually has them, but I haven't been in in a few weeks, so don't know if htey have them this year or not.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I don't know if someone already shared this, but there is a free calendar with good information about women's health (link below):

Here is a link that might be useful: Women's Health Calendar - free

• petaloid
    14 years ago

Kat_Wa was the one who gave the original link to the free women's health calendar -- thanks Kat!