SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oklamoni

wow, I am glad, I missed all this

OklaMoni
10 years ago

There is a lovely lady on the Oklahoma Gardening Forum that posts often. She lives near the Texas border.

She just posted the following, which makes me so glad, to have cancelled my plans to meet up with Nita.

I-35 TRAFFIC ALERT: For anyone here who knows anyone trying to travel on I-35, either southbound or northbound, south of the Red River, you should know that miles of the interstate are completely shut down between Denton, TX, and Sanger, TX. Not only is the highway a slippery mess with several inches of ice covering it, but it also is blocked by abandoned vehicles. Many people were stuck in their vehicles near Sanger for 10-12 hours yesterday. Some of them moved a quarter-mile or less in that 10-12 hours. The prospect of bitter cold temperatures caused folks to finally abandon their cars and trucks and leave them in the middle of the interstate while they sought shelter from the cold overnight temperatures. Thus, even if someone thinks they are a good enough driver to creep and crawl down icy I-35 in TX, they cannot get through that area because of all the parked cars and trucks. When I hear that roadway has been reopened, I'll let y'all know. I hope anyone traveling up from Texas for Bedlam made that journey before the interstate shut down near Sanger.

On the Oklahoma side of the Red River, I-35 and the state highways in Love County largely were drivable yesterday as long as folks drove slowly and carefully. The ODOT workers worked long and hard with the snowplows and sand trucks to keep our major highways open and as safe as possible here. Of course there were some folks who slid off the roadways into ditches, but not nearly as many as in previous ice storms. I think most people here stayed home and didn't venture out.

The only real trouble I heard about on I-35 in Love County yesterday was when traffic back-up from wrecks in Gainesville, TX, backed up all the way to at least the 6 mile marker in the southbound lanes of I-35 in OK. That back-up lasted for several hours yesterday afternoon/evening.

From watching local news, I know that Hwy 75 in Sherman is also a huge mess, though perhaps not as bad as I-35 is near Sanger. If you're in OK, you should stay here! (grin)

We have friends who had planned a weekend of Christmas shopping in Dallas and they are, instead, at home in Oklahoma.

Tim is iced in at work, but planned ahead for that, reserved a room at the main fire station, and took a suitcase with enough clothing to last a week. Freezing rain has turned the DFW metro area into a huge mess. I certainly would rather be here than there.

Now, I guess we can sit and wait for the next round of freezing precip to arrive. It won't hurt my feelings if it misses our place this time.

Dawm

Comments (7)