SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

The Rain Missed Us This Time...And I'm Glad

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I like rain as much as any other gardener, but this week's forecast rain failed to materialize, and I am both happy and relieved.

Two days ago, they told us heavy rain was coming and even that flash flooding was a possibility. I was somewhat skeptical because we've been in a persistent pattern the last few weeks where the rain goes around us every which way---north, south, east and west---but of course I hoped this time the rain would hit us because it is very dry, the ground is cracked and the ponds are dry. My poor garden plants are pathetically dry and I have been watering, but it doesn't make up for a total lack of rainfall.

On Tuesday night, the Fort Worth NWS office issued a flood watch in advance for all the Texas counties south of us, including Cooke County, which surrounds our part of Love County on three sides. Woo-hoo, rain was coming and lots of it!

I woke up yesterday, and the Cooke County flood watch was canceled and our local weather forecasters were talking about how the rain 'might' go further east and miss us. Darn it! I was so disappointed.

Y'all know the rest of the story, right.....heavy rainfall in parts of Texas....up to 12" in less than one day in central Texas, resulting in flash flooding, some homes and RVs being swept away, people and animals swept away, high water rescues, flooded homes, farmland, cities, etc. That was yesterday. Today the flooding continues, but closer to us now in counties just south and east of Dallas.

So, even though I have been praying for rain, I am relieved it missed us this time. It kind of reminds me of a line from a Garth Brooks' song...."some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers".

I guess I'll be watering today or tomorrow if all the rain misses us, but I feel relieved we aren't being flooded with rain and feel terrible for those who are suffering from too much rain yesterday and today.

Dawn

Comments (8)