SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

My Sister and Elizabeth Edwards

susie53_gw
13 years ago

My sister, Betty, also battled cancer for many years. She ended up with liver cancer. When this was discovered she had a long talk with her doctor. Betty decided to not have any more treatments. The doctor told her that if it were his Mother he would advise her this way, too. Betty went home and was doing well for a short time. This was in August. We knew in our hearts this would be our last holiday with her. This was not meant to be. Suddenly things turned. I live about an hour away and drove up each evening to spend time with her. As I saw her getting worse I packed my bags and told my hubby I would be home when it was over. She died September 4th, 2005 on our daughter's 27th birthday.

We were all by her side for several days. She talked to all of us. We always wanted all of us in the room with her.

If one of us left she always knew and asked where we were. She talked to all of us up until about the last hour. Suddenly in the late afternoon she stopped breathing.. She was pain free the whole time.

Betty loved to read. She had a small library in her town. The ladies there took track of what she had read. They would get books ready for her and her hubby would take the books back and bring new ones home to her. She also was homebound due to arthritis. When she passed there was $15,000 donated by family and friends to the library..

Although it is very hard to lose an loved one it was wonderful to see she did not live in horrible pain to the end. It made it so much easier to let her go. Betty loved her flowers and getting out when she could. Her hubby always made sure her flowerbeds were pretty and often brought her flowers in to her. The vase is still sitting the same place on the table by her chair. Her grandaughter brings daisies in and puts them in the vase in the summer. She always remembers Grandma loved daisies. I see her in Heaven picking flowers and taking bouquets to people. I know she is having a wonderful painfree life and I look forward to seeing her someday. We will be picking flowers together.

The most wonderful thing is memories are forever.

Comments (11)