SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ronf_gw

Another 'sound' post

ronf_gw
14 years ago

Trinitytx and cheryl_oks' posts both about sounds got me thinking about sounds in nature. I've never heard a whippoorwill. I have spent a great deal of time in the outdoors. When I lived in New Mexico I'd often hear coyotes howling at night. Or just before dawn. Here, in Minnesota, we hear them occasionaly but never as close as in NM. Another fun nighttime sound is a Great Horned Owl hooting. In New Mexico Bigbaby and I had a murphy bed on our deck. There was a large open space going down to a small stream behind our house. One Summer there was a family of owls in the Cottonwood trees down by the stream. It was wonderful to lay out on the deck on the warm Summer nights and listen to the owls. Another sound in the Southwest that always grabbed my attention was the unmistakable buzz of a rattlesnake. Especially when we were out hiking and the kids were little. Nothing gets the adrenaline flowing like those few seconds between hearing a rattlesnake and spotting him/her. Up here I love to hear the cry of a loon echoing across a lake. Another favorite is listening to the Canadian Geese honking as they're migrating overhead. Once in a while we see/hear Snow Geese; they're a little higher pitched than the Canadian Geese.

What do you enjoy listening to outside?

Ron

Comments (21)