SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltgf

Another post on what gets posted on this side

cait1
17 years ago

Hi folks! Now I know I haven't been on here a lot lately so a lot of new faces may be thinking who the heck is this chickee writing this post on what can be posted BUT...

(I'm going to sound like a shrew but please read what I have to say. We have to remember that these posts eventually fall off into never-never land and the newbies of the future will miss out on incredible Garden Junk creations)

The name of this forum is GARDEN JUNK. It's not 'Post Pics of my Flowers' forum, or 'Here's a Cute Story I saw on the Web that's Totally Unrelated to Garden Junk' forum, or whatever other title you can come up with. NOT that we don't love those kinds of posts cuz we sure as heck do. But there is a CONVERSATIONS side for those kinds of posts. Now, if you have some garden junk you made and you want to INCLUDE pics of your flower beds, that's fine, but every post on this side should be Garden Junk related. As I'm writing this there's a kinda brick red message that reads [This message will be posted to: On-Topic Discussions [Switch to: Conversations] right below so that IF you are writing something that isn't junk related you can say to yourself, "Ooops, I'm writing this in the wrong place" and you can then switch to the correct side.

Yes, a very long winded post that I'm sure a few will take umbrage with but we want ORDER here.

So please remember the rules:

Discussions side for on-topic Garden Junk posts, and Conversations side for non-garden junk posts.

Full instructions are listed at the bottom of the main page if you wish to read all the rules of etiquette.

Thank you all. It would be very nice if those who have read this reply so we know who has and hasn't read this.

Not really the Posting Police, Cait

Comments (58)

• larlienda
    17 years ago

me too :-)

• sistersunnie
    17 years ago

me three

• Related Discussions

Another blueberry post - please bear with me!

Q

Comments (7)
    Blueberries do best in full sun. Wild blueberries can grow in very thin soils, sometimes they are found growing on rocky outcrops, with the roots down in the cracks, where there is some leaf dust. However, these wild plants are scrawny survivors, that don't require much moisture. Cultivated highbush varieties, like Patriot, produce more fruit, but they also need more moisture, and better soil. If you can make compost with shredded tree leaves, that material will be the main component of your blueberry bed. Mix it in with whatever native soil you have, and that should be ideal. Be sure to check soil pH, and if you have hard water, you might have to add agricultural sulfur sulfur periodically. Its usually necessary to do pH testing at least once a year, unless you have naturally acidic soil.
    ...See More

getting rid of vinca - another post on this topic, sorry!

Q

Comments (1)
    bogart I would be very careful about using round-up around the trees,not to mention the other perennnials. Round-up is a non selective chemical and will kill or damage anything that it comes into contact with Jaco
    ...See More

Posting pics ? New problem! I posted to another thread, no answer

Q

Comments (1)
    Posted from Photobucket It sounds like not all of your code is getting copied or something. I'd suggest you stopping by the link below and posting/trying it there. Possibly the Photobucket code is corrupt or something? Have you tried clearing your cache and/or history and rebooting? You might also try posting at The Computer Help Forum. What browser are you using? Have you tried it from different browsers? Here is a link that might be useful: The Test Forum
    ...See More

Yet another what style is my house post

Q

Comments (20)
    patser - Thanks for the link. I'll probably get those for the switches I was planning to upgrade. I saw them at a house our two while looking for our home and I really liked them. We don't have a coal door on the house. A PO cut large holes into the concrete foundation and put in glass block windows throughout. It was a great upgrade that let tons of light into the basement during the day. Even at night the sparkle of the glass is nice and it feels much more open than with tiny dingy windows. (I just wish they would have kept/left pieces of history like a coal door.) My wife really wants a functioning gas fireplace so we'll probably install one at some point. I'm certain the f/p was never functioning, but I still wonder why it was built like it was. civ IV fan - I'm pretty sure the porch is original. The roof staining matches that of the rest of the house perfectly. The foundation also shows no changes - so the porch was at least there; although that doesn't rule out the possibility that the roof was reworked at some point. Thanks for the compliment on the window seat. I truly love it. If we get a nice sunny day sometime soon I'll open the curtains and take a picture of the full floor to ceiling woodwork that makes up the whole window seat. We've also got blue velvet curtains that look much nicer than PO's ugly curtains imho. Now for some more questions: Does anyone know about the type of brick used here? It's dark brick, which I don't see very often. It also has an interesting texture added to it, which I've shown in one of the additional pictures. Some of the bricks merely have textured vertical lines, but many have this curvy texture in addition to the vertical lines. Is there a name for this type of brick or a way for me to learn more about it and why it was used? Also, there's a patch that was clearly replaced below the kitchen window. It looks like there was something in the place before that window that took up more room, but I don't have a clue as to what it could be. Any ideas? I took a video of the problem with our pocket door the other day, but it's 5 minutes long and 300 mb or so so I'll have to break it up and change format to upload it. Is there someone here that knows about pocket doors and might be able to help? (i.e. is it worth the time and effort to figure out how to make this into appropriate sized videos to upload it?) Thanks for the wealth of knowledge! I'm truly enjoying learning more about my house (and older houses in general by reading everybody's recent and not-so-recent posts). Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures
    ...See More
  • anjabee
    17 years ago

Roger Dodger. Not an offender, but thought I'd let you know that I read your post and understand the reasons for the different sides. I hate it when the pictures go bye bye so quickly!! ~Anj

• mad_about_mickey
    17 years ago

Okie-Dokie Cait ! M~A~M a lurker.....

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

Me 4! We are all guilty sometimes, we forget. Thanks for the reminder.

• decompost
    17 years ago

Checking in to say "Aye Aye!"
    And thanks to Cait for helping to keep
    the groovy garden junk pictures where we can find 'em.

:-)

• westdublin
    17 years ago

Mark me as READ
    Thanks

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Hi,read it :) I'll try to be more careful.

• gabrielesgarden
    17 years ago

hmmmm...i think she was talking to me after I posted my shed demo and my yard in the spring pics....hey, that shed was junk alright!!! :-) and believe me, I have plenty of garden jnk in my spring yard pic....does that count?

i'm all cornfoozed now! :-)

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

Sometimes ,some things have to be said - but I don't think it's any reason for anyone to feel quilty or apologize.
    We all just so carried away with our "stuff" - it's hard to contain ourselves ! LOL

• gimpytwice
    17 years ago

Ditto....

• wired
    17 years ago

I'm a new lurker who joined up and wondering if you, cait1 are the moderator? If not, shouldn't they be the ones to post this type of topic?
    I did read YOUR rules, but just wondering who's in charge of the board?

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Please don't let the post chase any of you away! or keep you from posting here at all. I know in The Cottage Garden Forum, the people are real strict....and it got where I didn't want to post there anymore.

There is no moderator.........so Cait felt
    the rules needed mentioning.

This is an easy going fun forum. So don't run off!

• cait1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Wired. As Hazie said I'm not the moderator, just a concerned member of this forum. In the olden days there were only 10 pages to this forum so posts ran off pretty quickly and great projects lost to who knows where. I think we get 67 pages now so 'newbies' have plenty of ideas to sift through.
    The idea, though, is to use the Conversations side for just that, conversations about anything ya want to talk about. It's actually where we really learn about each other and is a great place to wander to except hardly anyone ever does. Ergo me posting this thread on this side and not the Conversations side.
    And the rules aren't 'MINE'. They are actually the rules of GardenWeb. There have been three other posts in the past that I can think of that have had this same message. And it seems every so often a bunch of newbies come in who aren't aware of the Conversations side and need some guidance. That's all.
    I love this forum and many here I consider good friends. There's no intention on my part offend anyone. There wasn't any one particular post that prompted this one, either. My only intention is to NOT see the Discussions side filled with un-Garden Junk posts causing wonderful creations to run off sooner than they have to. So many are gone as it is even with there being 67 pages.
    And Hazie's correct, we ARE and easy-going, fun forum. I look forward to seeing you come out of Lurkdom and show us one of your Garden Junk creations!
    Cait

• wired
    17 years ago

Okey Dokey got your message loud and clear. Typing in 'all caps' tends to come across as yelling at one when it come to computer ethics. Newbies in many forums are people who have a lot to offer, but sometimes lurk because the 'oldies' think they run the forums. Just concerned that might be the case here.
    Not offended at all, and yes I've read the rules. Yikes, sure hope I and the other newbies don't cross the lines with the oldies :-) who really aren't moderators, just slap our hands if we do something wrong. I still think it should be the management of the GardenWeb Forum (s) to decide what goes where. Just an opinion that I too have a right to.

• ellens_joy
    17 years ago

Hi Wired, I think there may be some communication issues here going on. Those of us who have been here any length of time remember the time when the previous owners did run the show so to speak. At times it became very unplesant. As it is we need to do everything that we can to not revert back to "those days". I thank Cait for stepping up to the plate and reminding us again of what we should have been doing any way. Cait, I commend you, as we know doing the right thing is not always the most popular thing. Thanks for caring enough to stick your neck out on the chopping block.
    Ellen

• kelly_socal
    17 years ago

Thanks, Cait. I have visited other forums and read some VERY heated posts. Garden Junkers are a different breed. We are down to earth and reasonable!!!

• ladyofdirt
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,kinda a newbie here. Was here ages ago but forgot my name and password..LOL. Ayway wanted to say I read and will promise to follow all...well most of the rules..lol. Wow things have change here. opps....not suppose to write that here..lol.
    looking forward to having fun again.

Ladyofdirt

• cait1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wired, glad you weren't offended.

And I want to thank everyone who's replied. I feel that in a way this has made us a bit more cohesive as everyone's getting into the act (even some lurkers) and being, at least, a vocal part of the forum.

Now for some Junkin'!!
    Cait

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

Let's let this post go .... it was posted with good intentions . Let's get back to business - Show us your JUNK ! Let us see the miracles you do with
    'found stuff'.
    People like me -- need the inspirations that I get from everyone here ! (((((((((( Everyone )))))))))))

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

lol....
    I am an oldie but seldom show up here...but there was a time for me, too..who got repremanded from the moderator, way back when.
    it's cool to keep on topic and when I was on here regularly...the off topic was the place to get heated discussions...boy and howdy, did they get heated!!!..lol

there was discussin' and near cussin' on that side..some of you oldies must remember those days, about a couple to 3 years ago..

yes...on topic and off topic conversations...plenty to be said on both sides...

Becky .(*_*).

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

lol....
    I am an oldie but seldom show up here...but there was a time for me, too..who got repremanded from the moderator, way back when.
    it's cool to keep on topic and when I was on here regularly...the off topic was the place to get heated discussions...boy and howdy, did they get heated!!!..lol

there was discussin' and near cussin' on that side..some of you oldies must remember those days, about a couple to 3 years ago..

yes...on topic and off topic conversations...plenty to be said on both sides...

Becky .(*_*).

• seaglassic
    17 years ago

ooops!

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

really!!!??????? Becky!!! did it really get that bad???
    So afraid we just started the same crap!......
    I love this forum..it's the people not the forum it's self.
    This forum was hopping a while ago...we had mosaics popping...... something new everyday..............great fun!!! a few complained about our mosaics...and we moved on.. to a place where we could post it all.
    We started here, and I for one love this forum!.....hope to see it grow!!!

• wired
    17 years ago

I remember those days as a lurker. There was a 'verrrry' creative lady named Connie who really had beautiful garden junk. Some of the oldies got really jealous and pretty much ran her off. She started her own group and I guess it too went away. There was another sweet lady, Brenda who lived in Florida who left. She made the cutiest flamingo from a bowling ball.
    Since that time, I have seen a new group of talented folks come here, but many left because a few oldies ran them off.
    It just isn't worth it when the oldies try to run the forum..to suit their opinions and a few think they rule all topics!

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Personally, I wish (sometimes) we had an actual moderator who could move off-topic posts over to the conversation side. I have never run across a post on this forum I felt should be removed altogether, which says alot about the wonderful folks who come here. I'm grateful that we have Cait and Nona to give us all gentle reminders from time to time! Another thing we could do to help keep older posts around a bit longer, is to bump up WIP posts by putting our finished projects on them, instead of starting a new post. I know it can be a pain to find that original post, especially if it took you awhile to finish the project, but... Anyway, there is my two cents! Thanks Cait!! Kathy

• Momof6
    17 years ago

Hi All...I was one of those who mentioned the moasic site...but believe it was taken out of context...my reason for mentioning it was that maybe there was info they could use...it was a near dead forum but my mentioning it got that forum hopping...think I offended some so I too dropped off...but back to lurking....oops...maybe this needs to be on the other side...Mary

• nmgirl
    17 years ago

I say Aye!
    Thanks Cait!

• tasymo
    17 years ago

Hey Momof6-
    There's no need to feel bad, or leave this forum due to mentioning the mosaic site. I think I can safely speak for most of the mosaicers when I say, we didn't leave here for any reason other than sharing our NON-Garden mosaic projects. Traffic HERE did slow down some at about the same time, but I think it was just due to the season. Most of our gardens were buried in snow. Now that Spring has arrived, things are picking up here once again!

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Mom, I want to echo Tasy's sentiment. Please... we mosaic fiends understood that some folks were getting tired of us! LOL it's fine!

wired, I must be misunderstanding you. Previously you called yourself a new lurker but then you seem to be saying that you have been lurking here for many years and it almost feels as if you have an axe to grind? truely, if you lurk this forum, you would already know that it is the most welcoming and supportive forums on the net. In fact if you are a lurker, you would have known we have no moderators and that Cait's reminder was a favor for all who post here and we take it that way, knowing why she posted it.

so that leaves... just this, I'm so glad you've come out of lurkdom! what kinds of junk do you like, what do you make? tell us all about your junk and post some pics please. welcome to the Junkyard!

• wired
    17 years ago

There used to be someone named 'Spike' the pretty much put people in their places. That's why I asked my question, wondering who replaced 'Spike' and if there was a current moderator. Now do understand?
    Maybe I will post a picture one day, but it probably wouldn't be considered Garden Junk to some. You see, most of my 'junk' is repurposed items that could be outside or inside or worn in the form of jewelry. I do have an old tire rim that has plants in it, but again, some might consider that Trash to Treasure instead on Garden Junk.

• susie_gardener_2007
    17 years ago

I have read your instructions, so you can add me to your roll call. I already knew the rules.

I have posted answers to questions on other people's threads that I knew were clearly on the wrong side and that someone else would probably post that they had put their thread on the wrong side, but it wasn't going to be me to tell them that they posted on the wrong side. Your reminder was probably needed, but a little tolerance is also in order.

I wondered what happened to Momof6. She was one of my favorite members. I always enjoyed her posts so much. I wasn't tired of mosaics.

Life is too short to worry about the small things.

Susie

• freakycola
    17 years ago

I haven't been here for a while either. So what happened to Spike? Is it a lot friendlier now?
    Cola

• cs7580
    17 years ago

So we cant put our photo's of our junk here?

• cait1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My, my, what a long thread this has become! LOL

Wired: on the Conversations side is a post about Spike. Why not take a stroll over on that side to have a look-see as to what people remember about him? I don't recall any member being jealous of another's talent - I think that's kinda ridiculous, really. Can't imagine anyone here being so petty. So you must be recalling something Spike did.
    When Spike sold GW to iVillage they left it up to the forum members to moderate and if there's a problem I think you're supposed to contact them directly to complain. But why that hassle? We're all friends on this forum and like Joan Rivers says, "Can we talk?" So I talked.

The difference between TTT and GJ is where it's used. Repurposed items placed in the garden are Garden Junk and pics are most welcome on the Discussions side of this forum. And if one likes they can post pics of their repurposed items used inside on the Conversations side - we like to see creativity wherever it's used and most of us respect the two sides of this forum.

Susie - no intolerance was shown here. Just a gentle reminder. If you already had read the instructions then you would also know the rules aren't mine. I also post on the Stained Glass & Mosaics forum, as do many of us. Why not take a stroll over there to see the gorgeous creations on that very happening forum?

Freakycola - This forum has always been the most friendliest forum on GardenWeb! And since so many of us also post on SG&M I'd say it's a tie! ;-)

Cs7580 - yes, you do post pics of your Garden Junk here. You've found the Discussions side and here you can not only post all your pics but ask questions about how someone made their incredible Garden Junk.

Momof6 - we're all waiting to see some new pics of your Garden Junk! Hurry back!

Cait

• susie_gardener_2007
    17 years ago

Since we're all talking about the rules enforcer that used to be here, I was wondering if Spike is, in fact, gone? When I edit my exchange page, I always get a message that says what my URL is for my page and for my exchange list and it's signed "Thanks, Spike". I just did it again to test it and it still has his name on it.

Susie

• shrty411
    17 years ago

I'm with Hazie, tasy and nicethyme. Most of our mosaics have been inside stuff.I was never offended and thrilled to find the other forum -and so many familiar faces there!!

I expected this forum to slow down during the winter. I think now we are all ready to get back to the garden and junk outside. I have some cool ideas to share with everyone after this ONE LAST cold blast!

I, like tasy, wish there was someone who could just move those post to the conversation side. I forget to check very often and it's very slow over there

Maria

• ausaicmosaic
    17 years ago

Hi Cait
    I AM a newbie and I thank you for reminding the group what should and should not be posted.
    After the first time I read quite a lot of the posts on here, I madly visited the local Salvation Army shop and bought a heap of stuff but have not got around to taking photos and utilising all of it yet.
    When I do, I'll post a link to my Yahoo Album (or here if I ever figure out how to do so.
    Cheers Beth from Wagga Wagga NSW Australia

• cait1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI Beth! Welcome! Another Aussie joins the Junk Yard! But, I must confess, I'm an Aussie by marriage only. hehe

Looking forward to seeing your garden junk when you get around to making something. Don't take too long as we're always itching to see new creations!

I also see you have the word 'mosaic' in your username. If you haven't already you may want to check out the Stained Glass & Mosaic forum on the 'That Home Site'. A lot of us that post here post there also and both forums are the friendliest places to be!
    Cait

• ausaicmosaic
    17 years ago

Thanks Cait,
    I do know about the other site too and also belong to two Yahoo Groups for Mosaics as well.
    We have one that is owned and moderated by a wonderful woman who lives in Brisbane and it is very friendly too.
    If you are only Aussie by marriage what were you before?
    hehehe
    Beth

• damrn01
    17 years ago

Have not posted in a very long time-but still check in (guilt of learking). Thanks for the reminder though.
    debbie

• Crafty_Canuck
    17 years ago

Hello Friends ~

Well..I guess I would be considered an 'oldie' and I too remember the days of Spike!

I believe it is beneficial for a member, any member, to occasionally remind everyone of the rules (and 'yes' they are the rules of Garden Web) to keep some semblance of order! If a member is unsure of where to post a topic, just ask! We are all here to help and learn from one another. Also, if you notice your post has been moved from one side of the board to the other, do not take offence rather look upon it as a favor from a fellow Junker!

While I do not want to revisit previous situations, I believe that Wired's post regarding two members needs to be clarified. I cannot address the member 'Brenda' as I do not remember her nor that situation but I do recall the member named 'Connie' and too insinuate that members were "Jealous" and "Ran her off" is to misstate the situation. Connie did indeed have some great Junk and was a creative person as Wired states but she began posting pictures of her interior design skills, which would have been appropriate on the Conversations side of the board but she insisted on posting them on the Discussions side. The more members tried to help her understand this error and ask her to move her postings, the nastier she and the situation became! Unfortunately, it culminated in her leaving on less then favorable terms.

I come here, not as often as I would like to as of late, to learn from other members creativity and experience. I believe both sides of our board have merit. If a member chooses not to share on the Conversation side of the board, that is fine but it is where those of us that want, to get to know each other a little better and share more then just our passion for Junk!

*Good order is the foundation of all things.--Edmund Burke (Reflections on the Revolution in France)*

Della :)

• nonacook
    17 years ago

My monitor went out so I have not been able to post until the new one got hooked up today.
    Cait and I are on the same page!!!! I totally agree that the junk side should be junk, and the conversations side should be for all the OTHER good stuff that we want to show. I have been on craft sites that turned into comversations stuff and not many crafts shown. I don't want that to happen to GJ. Sorry I wasn't here at the beginning, Cait.

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

Maybe other stuff is showing up more because there's less posting of really creative garden junk. I wonder if people are just filling in the gaps...

• nonacook
    17 years ago

Fewer postings of creative garden junk will mean more posts on the conversations side.

• cait1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nona, so good to see you back! I was getting worried there. You, our good friend who we love to pieces, never need apologize for ANYTHING! LOL Beginning of the post, end of the post, doesn't matter where you join in with the posting as long as you always do! LOL

What I see here are some people trying to make excuses for posting inappropriate threads on this side. There's no excuse for what some of us see as bad manners and deliberate refusal to obey GW rules. Of course, there will always be people who want to go against the grain and I'm thankful that it's not the majority of good people who do post regularly on this forum.

Having errant posts moved is our only option for now. I've already contacted GW and have had them move some of these posts to the Conversations side. It saddened me to see that the posts I had moved were from posters who have not added their agreement to this thread to follow the rules. But that's how it goes sometimes.

What I am very happy to see are so many who say they understand and want to have a Garden Junk-filled Discussions side. We are good people here and it's up to us to keep it that way.
    Cait

• cacbeary
    17 years ago

Cait,

I thank you for what you said & agree wholeheartedly. I love this forum & had to read everything when I first came. There is so much to read you don't need conversations taking up space. There are so many creative ladies here.

How is "our Lady" garden coming along? I'm sorry if I didn't get the name right. Any updated pics?

Cacbeary

• lellie
    17 years ago

Heard!

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I think caitl's message makes perfect sense to me! As a newbie, I agree it can be hard as heck siftin' through all the posts to find topics of interest. By narrowing it down to strictly garden junk, it sure would make it easier! Thanks for posting it!

• mjowest
    16 years ago

This must have been bumped up recently.

Got it!

mj

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions