SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

A few house pics...old house renno

marilyn_c
14 years ago

Finally, getting the Hardie Plank put on. It has rained and rained and rained some more. They just started yesterday but I guess they are off until next week now.

There was a small, high window in the bathroom. We took an

old french window that came out of a school house, and a little window that opened like shutters that came out of an old house near here, and made a large, fixed window. The little window was missing panes in the center of one, so we took them out of the other side too. Still needs to be painted and glazed.

We used another of the old school house windows in the hall,

to make another fixed window, that looks out on the sun porch, because we needed that window for the porch.

This is an antique door I had that we put on the computer

room. It is a small, narrow room with only one window, so

we wanted a door with a glass to let in some more light.

We had a modern doorknob on that door and went to an antique

architecture place to find a nice knob and back plate but

couldn't find one we liked, so ended up buying this one, which is new, but very good quality, and it was 25% off.

This is a door we put in that will go from the kitchen to the sunporch. There had been a window here, and we used it in the porch too.

We were very unhappy with the way they added the sunporch onto the house. They made almost a flat roof, and that isn't what we wanted. It only had about a 2 inch drop for

a 20' wide room. I thought it was an ugly as a wart on a hog, so that roof is all going to be done over, and made to come off the existing house roof, so it will blend in better with the house.

We paid for the metal for the roof back in November. It was a down payment of $8,000 for a job that would be $16,000. I

think the guy spent it, and is now trying to make it up on other jobs. He says he can't get the metal until after the first of the year. Meanwhile, they had torn off the old roof and put tar paper on and it was leaking, so they came out and put a tarp on it. Sure not happy....this part of our house...the outside....should have been finished a long time ago. He came highly reccommended to us, but I sure will never give him a good reference. We have had a lot of

rain, but we had a week or so at a time with no rain and all, and no one showed up. My husband has done more in the

few days he has been home than they've done, period. I told them, I sure hope we don't finish the inside before they finish the outside. :(

Comments (23)