SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_d_gw

New Years Traditions

lynn_d
12 years ago

What do you do to ensure a good year to come?

My grandma always threw out all the old things that were in need of disposing, she saved them for this night! Some ethnic traditions say you should wear red underpants!!

We make sure there are coins at each doorway in/out of the house. And we must have sauerkraut, every bar and club that is open will serve hot dogs and kraut at midnight, and most folks will have it for a meal on New Years Day. We will have sauerkraut, pork, kielbassi and mashed taters.

What's your must do? Must eat?

Comments (30)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

I don't know as we must do this but we have had a cook out with foods that go along with that every New Year's Eve for at least 25 years. It doesn't matter if it is raining or snowing, we have it. My husband will not eat cabbage or sausage of any kind. I usually fix coleslaw for all of us that want it.

Sue in Indiana

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

On New Year's Eve, we have a quiet evening at home--watching a movie and then watching the NYE celebration on the TV, with the ball dropping. DH and I share a bottle of Alpenglow -- it's a locally-made non-alcoholic beverage that is like champagne. We use that to toast the new year.

On New Year's Day, I cook our traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage, black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread.

It's hard to believe that 2012 is here already. This century is moving quickly....

• Related Discussions

Happy New Year Tradition

Q

Comments (1)
    That's what I'm spending my New Year's Day off doing, also. What a great way to start the year!! Happy Gardening to you, also. Edie
    ...See More

New Year's Day Traditions?????

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, I'm about Bowl Gamed out! I enjoyed the Parade this year....specially since I found that HGTV had it on without breaking for commercials! I put the sashings on a quilt, got a cheater I Spy pinned and ready to sew on the lines and have my I Spy Swap ready to mail on Wed. I didn't do anything I thought I'd do today.....like to practice meandering. Oh well.... I got an email from my 13 yo DGD who has been up north since the 22nd, she's more than ready to come back home. She and I usually put a jigsaw puzzle together and watch the ball drop on New Year's Eve.......I miss her.... SharonG/FL
    ...See More

Auld Lang Syne

Q

Comments (2)
    Yahoo has a link to Mariah Carey singing this.
    ...See More

Time to bury the money!! New Year's Eve tradition

Q

Comments (29)
    Raven, just now seeing this, and I have never heard of this before...but I might do it next year....if I don't forget. I wanted to tell you what one of my friends does every year. He picks up any found money...like coins he finds on the parking lot, or whatever. He goes to the Texas City dike to fish a lot and often finds money there too. Just wherever he finds it. He puts it in a coffee can. At the end of the year, he puts it in a closet....writes the year on the cap of the can. He never spends it. I asked him if he counted it, and he said no. I have known him for 40 years and he has always done this. No telling how much money he has squirreled away like that. He is one of my best friends. I call him a "junk" friend because that is our common interest...we go to the flea markets together. He is very quirky...you should see his house! He has a duplex....lives in both sides of it. He might be called a "hoarder" but he is very neat and clean and everything is extremely well organized. He has dozens of collections. Like, in his bedroom is a tall cabinet with glass doors and many shelves. In it is many, many, many figurines of women/girls in long dresses. I said, "David, what is this?" He said, "Ladies in long dresses."
    ...See More
  • monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

Sauerkraut(fresh, not canned) and pork for dinner.
    Grandmom always said we HAD to eat pork on NYD, for luck.

A family tradition was that we went to the Mummers Parade(my GGrandfather marched in the first one over 100 years ago). There was always at least one cousin marching.

• gazania_gw
    12 years ago

Oh for sure, there will be the same foods on my table on New Year's eve and Day as on Lynn's. Pork, kraut, kielbassi and mashed 'taters. It's what Pennsylvannian's do to insure good luck in the new year.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

The only tradition here is to stop eating beginning on New Year's Day!

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Now I sleep thru the NY's celebration! Getting old!

We enjoyed Hoppin John with our pork and turnip greens on NY's Day.

• SunnyDJ
    12 years ago

We, being Pennsylvanians, do the traditional thing by having all those foods for "good luck".....There are just the 2 of us but we still have to have pork, saurkraut and taters.....
    Lynn, I'm glad to hear someone else also puts money on the doorstep...We've been doing it for as many years as I can remember and so far, we haven't gone hungry, lol....All the kids do this too.....
    As far as wearing the red underwear, never heard that one.....
    Hubby and I really aren't party people but we do get together with a neighbor, talk about the past year, drink coffee, eat left over cookies and have a glass of wine about 10:00 and then come home....Real party animals!

• kacram
    12 years ago

We get up at 5 or 6 so we are in bed by 10 or 11. LOL gave up going to parties a long time ago. Too dangerous to be out driving. When DS was small, we would set the alarm and get him up to watch the tv celebration! lol (how boring are we?) We have no food traditions, never had.

Sauerkraut makes me gag. Even in a different room can't stand the smell! lol

• lynn_d
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I expect our delivery of kraut any day now, Monica! My cleaning lady makes it and brings me a jar of it every year. It really is good, and so different than the bags at the store.

Wanda, I love corned beef! I'm with you, it seems like just yesterday that we were all worrying about 2000!

Sue-the cole slaw counts as cabbage! LOL!! You will have luck!

We don't party either, we used to get dressed to the 9's and go to the country club every year...the drinking laws are way too stiff and so is the bill at the end of the month so we don't do that any longer! LOL!

We rise at 6am as well, Kat.

We're right with ya, Sunnydj. But we add in movies on dvd! What part of PA are you in? We're in Johnstown, you nearby?

Gazania....all the best to you and Bill!

We make that part of our new year as well, Georgysmom! But we wait until after the Orthodox Christmas, our friends make really wonderful goodies and we share in their celebration.

Glenda, hoppin john is black eyed peas?

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Stay home away from traffic Watch whatever is on tv, keep watch on house for straying fireworks.
    At midnight go out in front and rattle the kitchen pans. (old chicago tradition)

On the day try to watch some parades busy changing channels when the EMC's come on or the "specialty" acts. Just like the bands and marchers and floats .

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

for traditions there is an extremely old tradition that I have been following for many years now and I do not miss doing it because it has worked out pretty well for us so far.

You take a dollar or what ever money you want to use for this, but know that you will not be able to use this money again so don't go crazy LOL, you put your money in a ziplock bag(I do this so my money is not all dirty), on New Year's EVE (any time before midnight)you go outside and you bury the money, you can do this in the ground or in a flower pot, while burying the money you say I am burying my poverty, be sure you mark your spot!! Then on New Year's DAY( any time after midnight) you go dig up your money while saying I am uncovering my wealth.
    Now put that ziplock with the money away in a drawer some where and each year add your money to it but you can not use that money.

This is supposed to have unexpected money arrive from happy and unexpected sources through out the new year.

It has worked for us every single year, we got money we never knew about or did not expect, in 2 cases it was some legit law suit we knew nothing about but we got a check from it, and the totally unexpected raise one year my husband got. It may not be much but it can be a lot.

So I do it every year and another forum I was on everyone on there started doing too so we would remind each other not to forget to bury the money. I still send out an email on New Year's eve bury the money!

As to food must have blackeye peas and cabbage and pork in the peas. I have started doing a corned beef brisket the past few years. We need those blackeyes and cabbage for our wealth and health!
    We do not go out either prefer to stay in and watch it all on tv or read.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Heard a story about the start of the black eyed peas tradition, Being raised in the north we never had this tradition.
    When General Sherman marched across the south burning and destoying everything in his path He left the silos that had black eyed peas stored in them, He fed his horses and figured since they had destroyed all the live stock why bother burning it. It was just considered live stock food up north . This was in 1866 and those black-eyed peas saved those people from starvation thus began the tradition.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

RavenC, I love that tradition of burying the dollar bill.
    We're going to do that this weekend!!!! (Only here it will be a dollar coin, LOL)

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

Growing up my mom always made whole, Dungeness crab for New Years. That's that was it. Nothing else, except maybe watch Dick Clark's Rock n New Year's Eve. It just isn't the same without him.

This year I bought some giant sparklers tonight on my way home from work for Sola. Her family goes to the beach every year, gets up to watch the first day of the new year's sunrise...only she never wakes up....she's too sleepy to get up-lol. She's from S. Korea.

My daughter likes the black eyed peas but I hardly ever buy them.

• jannie
    12 years ago

My Mother believed you should eat fish on New Years Day. My MIL was Italian,her husband was German. She always fixed pork and sauerkraut on New Years. She was a fantastic cook. I miss her cooking, her fantastic holiday "spreads". She always made Italian dishes her Mother had taught her. Now that that generation is all gone on to their rewards, I like a restaurant meal New years Eve and light eating (sandwiches) on New Years day.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    12 years ago

jasdip I have been doing it so long I have quite the collection of money in my ziplock bag stash! Some say you can give the money away I think well if you don't get your windfall you always have that baggie of money LOL One of my friends in Arkansas uses a $20 she said she wants a really big windfall LOL

I got my blackeyes last night but the store had not one single cabbage, I said how do you forget to stock up on cabbage at New Year? And the blackeyes were scarce too. None of the good ham hocks just the little ones. But I did get a very nice big corned beef, and I got a bag of cabbage slaw since there were no whole cabbages.

I would have loved that Kathsgrdn I dearly love Dungeness crabs, well pretty much any crab but those big old Dungeness make a meal out of one.

Since moving to the Oklahoma and Texas area I see a lot of tamales in the stores this time of year, I really thought about getting some this year because they had some very nice big ones. We do love good tamales but I know we could not have eaten more than I have planned already.

I love hearing of new traditions. I did a google search to see if the bury the money one was out there and sure enough it is.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

All this time I thought you were in Louisianna, RC. You must have hailed from there though, I would think.

Years ago, my ex-hubby and I drove to New Orleans. I pigged out on gumbo, jambalaya, muffalettas, and we loved the Zydeco music!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

I am bringing this thread back from a few years ago!
    I think it's fun to remember the traditions.
    This year I am changing my menu from the corned beef to the fresh smoked sausage and tasso I just got in Louisiana. But the black Eyed Peas and cabbage remain of course.

Plus I posted about the bury the money tradition on here.
    Fun stuff for the New Year.

Happy New Year!

• Jasdip
    10 years ago

We "buried our debts" today. This is our new ritual, thanks to Raven! LOL

No traditional meal for New Years. Tomorrow will be chicken breasts and roasted sweet and white potatoes, I haven't thought of a veggie yet.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

Well, I best get some cash when I go out today..Lol..

And put coins at the doors...we don't eat black eyed peas..but we do eat pintos..so I'll grab some of those, and toss in diced ham and bacon.
    Cabbage is always in the fridge..

I need some money help..we have plans for 2014... Lol...little unexpected $$ would be welcomed.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Coins at the doors? Is that another tradition?

Mine is all buried.

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I buried mine..

But I read you should stick a few coins under your door mats.

• Lily316
    10 years ago

This Pennsylvanian doesn't eat meat so pork's not on the menu but sauerkraut is. All the stores are open so I'll be grocery shopping and going to the gym.

• marilyn_c
    10 years ago

Raven, this isn't a tradition but hearing about your buried money and not spending it, reminded me of something that one of my friends does. (He is one of my junk friends...we go to the flea markets together.) Anyway, when he finds money...like walking across a parking lot and finds a coin, he saves it in a coffee can. He does this every year. At the end of the year, he puts the can in his closet. He doesn't even count the money....and he never spends it. He has been doing this for about 25 years...maybe longer. For as long as I have known him. He is a very quirky person....I love him! ;) He goes to the Texas City dike almost every day and goes fishing. He says he finds a lot of money there....but it all goes in a coffee can. At the end of the year, he labels it with the year, and starts over.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

That's a great tradition! And some day all those cans will come in handy!
    My husband collects quarters, he started with the state quarters but just kept collecting the states even though he had a set. He has a a small duffel bag full of them. He was about addicted to Altoids so all the tins are filled with the quarters. He no longer goes through the Altoids but still saves the quarters. I had no idea how much he had saved till I opened the duffel bag one day. That definitely will come in handy some day.

I collected dimes when I was a kid, my grandfather got me started on it with some dime banks. He brought me to the bank and opened a savings account in my name, he started it off with some money then we would go deposit all my dimes when I had filled all the banks. I think that was a great tradition and taught me early about saving money and watching it grow.

• glenda_al
    10 years ago

We always made sure our Christmas decorations were down and store, and tree was out of the house and not up NYD.

Bad luck if you left anything up.

• phoggie
    10 years ago

Darn....I did not read about buried money....so guess I won't have any unexpected cash coming my way :-(

I have a pinched nerve in my back so I spend most of my time on a heat pad. Since I can not even get into my car, I guess I won't be going anywhere. Thankfully, my DS and wife came over to visit for awhile....it was the second anniversary of my DH's death, so a visitors were certainly welcome~

Happy New Year's to all of you!

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

So..do I keep the coins under the door mats the whole year?

I will be heading out soon to unbury my "wealth"...
    And plant some garlic, and harvest a few leeks for our meal.
    I'm a multi tasker. ;)

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

Quote:
    â¢Posted by wanda_va (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 29, 11 at 8:34

On New Year's Eve, we have a quiet evening at home--watching a movie and then watching the NYE celebration on the TV, with the ball dropping. DH and I share a bottle of Alpenglow -- it's a locally-made non-alcoholic beverage that is like champagne. We use that to toast the new year.
    On New Year's Day, I cook our traditional dinner of corned beef and cabbage, black-eyed peas, greens and cornbread.

It's hard to believe that 2012 is here already. This century is moving quickly....
    Unquote.

2012 is here??? Had a long nap? LOL Yep, the century is flying by.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    10 years ago

Note the original date of the thread it's an old one. LOL