SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Liver and Onions... Good, Bad, or Ugly???

jel48
13 years ago

I'd guess most people either love Liver and Onions or hate it! How about you?

I do love it myself, and so does Gary. I particularly love it the way I fix it... the way I learned from my mom. I saute the sliced onions (lots of them) in margerine, then add the liver (coated with flour) and cook just until done (nice and tender instead of overcooking in which case it somehow turns into shoe leather). I season with salt and pepper. I usually add extra flour as the liver is cooking so that I get a nice thick brown sauce on my onions as well as on the liver.

Gary and I went out for dinner last night, to a small restaurant in Calumet that has a Wednesday night Liver and Onion special. It was different then the way I make it but was absolutely delicious! The special was Liver (served with either fried onions or bacon - or both for an extra .60 cents!), with mashed potatoes and gravy, and choice of coleslaw, salad, or soup. Gary had coleslaw and I had soup and both were very good. The mashed potatoes weren't homemade, but were topped with a really good clear beef gravy. The liver, onions, and bacon combination was to die for! They cooked each part separately. The liver was not floured and appeared to have been cooked on the grill. It was cooked to perfection. Not too rare but not overcooked either. This was topped with 3-4 slices of crispy bacon. And on top of that was a mountain of perfectly sauted onions!

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't like liver and will never taste the wonderful meal we had last night :-)

Comments (40)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH