SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trishany

Hope Someone Can Answer This

trishany
13 years ago

Billy is home from hospital. It's inoperable lung cancer. Tumor wrapped around rib and broke it.

He was in alot of pain. We called doctor. Doc didn't know why he was in so much pain -- but he knew Billy wasn't the complaining type.

So we brought him into ER. This F%%kng tumor broke his rib! that's how big it is. and they can't do anything for him except give him morphine. For those of you who broke a rib, you know how much it hurts.

So here's the thing -- I'm a spiritual person. Every morning I ask God to get me through the day. and He's never let me down yet.

But, for the life of me, I can't understand why He allows suffering like this. Why does a man who fought for his country and now lives just to take care of his family have to go through this? why?

Comments (20)

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I see that you are up late with a lot on your mind.

I am not wise enough to answer your "whys" but I am holding your hand in prayer right now. We shall ask for strength and rest for you, and to ease Bill's pain. Is Bill your husband? son?

• Cherryfizz
    13 years ago

I am sorry Billy is suffering. I also went through a spiritual crisis when my Mom who already had Alzheimer's was struck down with pancreatic cancer. Why did she have to suffer more? I already had a sister who had breast cancer and just about the same time my Mom was diagnosed with cancer my sister in Saudi Arabia was told she had double breast cancer. I had the same questions - why all the suffering. While taking care of my Mom for all those years I prayed every day asking for strength to get me through the day and praying to say thanks for getting me through the day, it gave me comfort when I went to bed. After that, I couldn't pray anymore, and couldn't for a long time. I sought out spiritual advice and the answer I was given was we had to suffer because Jesus suffered for us. I didn't like that answer at all. My neighbour who was a Baptist pastor helped me out a bit. I tried to seek answers from a lot of spiritual people. It was has only been recently I have found spiritual comfort again. Took me years. Never found the answer I was looking for. That is why I don't respond to prayer posts. I will think good thoughts for you, but I still have a hard time with prayer. When I go to church though I always end up shedding a few tears during Mass. There is no answer that I can find.

I hope you find some peace and I hope Billy doesn't have to suffer too much pain.

Anne

• Related Discussions

Can Pummelo be in containers?

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, both citrus and papayas make very good container subjects, provided you can give them the proper growing conditions and sufficient heat to ripen fruit. Obviously they will need to be brought indoors during winter and a suitable indoor location is equally as important. Do some research through Google on cultural requirements for both (soil types, light conditions, fertilizer preferences, watering needs, etc.) and check the Citrus forum here on GW for additional info. There are a number of regular posters there that grow citrus in containers in all areas of the country
    ...See More

Odd Bumble bee behaviour - 2 Q's

Q

Comments (1)
    Perhaps I can answer some of your questions. >>I noted BB's taking turns sitting in the opening and fanning their wings. Is the 'nest' over heated? Is there anything I can do to help them?I have never seen bumbles do that, I know honey bees do it, and it's very normal... I wouldn't be concerned. >>I witnessed a BB fly from the house with a very heavy load and fall directly to the cement walk.Again, honey bees constantly do house cleaning, there are always some bees dieing in the hive, also, sometimes dead larvae, like you mentioned, due to many reasons. I build some bumble boxes for these lovely critters...
    ...See More

Question on T Stat and batteries

Q

Comments (1)
    Unfortunately the display can only be powered by the battery. Are you using fresh alkaline batteries? If yes, what is the brand?
    ...See More

pedestal table--top size to base size?

Q

Comments (3)
    Are you having the glass top cut to order? If so I would think that would be the person to get the best information.
    ...See More
  • dotmom
    13 years ago

I'm so very sorry for the awful thing Billy is going through. I've never heard of such a thing as an inert thing like a tumor breaking a bone. How painful!! As to your Q, I have asked the very same one, several times and don't have the answer. My thoughts and Prayers are being said for you.

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for your Billy, and the rest of your family. Have you looked into hospice? They are remarkable at keeping people comfortable. He needs pain medication.

• chisue
    13 years ago

Hospice can help him -- and you -- get through this. Ask to be referred to one. He and his family should be able to receive hospice services at home or within a hospice setting.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I of course don't really know the answer to your question but I've been through a lot of adversity in life and here is what I've come to believe. First, our life as mortal beings on earth is just a very brief snapshot in our whole eternal being. What goes on here is all part of His grand plan which we cannot begin to comprehend. I do think good comes out of pain and suffering even in this life. Maybe it helps the individual find true peace and meaning in their life or maybe it inspires someone else to do that. Many times I've been able to see the good that has come out of something bad but sometimes it has been many, many years later. At the time all it seems you can do is accept the overwhelming grief you feel and pray for strength to get through it.

So sorry you are going through this.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

My heart goes out to you at this sad time. I understand the feelings you have of "why" and any form of an answer is strictly subjective. The way that I feel is that humans are much like most of nature. You can plant 12 bulbs and some will be stronger than others and maybe one will even die. It's in the natural plan or order. I don't think God has anything to do with it, I think it's our DNA and environment
    that makes us ill. Also I feel that, when a person is struck down, it elevates the spirituality of others, you see kindness all around you and some rise to do acts that they never would have had it not been for responding to a need. So each person's life and the method of their passing has value, so much value. Anger is a natural response to the unfairness of it all. Give yourself time and make each moment count. You and Billy are in my prayers.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

God gave us free will. When we sin evil is released into the world. We have no way of knowing who, where, this evil will effect the world, but it ALWAYS does. Yes it would be convenient of God circumvented our free will and kept us from sinning, kept us safe from sin but then that wouldn't be TRUE free will would it? It is very tough when good people suffer due to the sins of others. God will see you through and He will be there at your side the entire time. Your suffering gives Him no happiness. He hates watching it the same way any parent hates watching their child struggle as they learn what life needs to teach them. What you choose to do with this pain and suffering is where you can be a beacon in our world. Offer it up so another can be freed of their cross. We can save others by bearing our pain for them. I am sorry for all your suffering physical and spiritual.

• petra_gw
    13 years ago

I am an atheist and in my opinion, there is no use trying to look for reasons or a higher purpose, there isn't any. Things just happen randomly. But I am very sorry about your brother and I really hope they'll find a way to make him comfortable.

• Pieonear
    13 years ago

Such sad news and I am sorry to hear that. I don't have an answer to your question, but I don't think we are supposed to understand these things?? Just have faith. These words won't help your situation, but it's all I know to say, other than I am so sorry about Billy.

• Tigerlil
    13 years ago

I think Gibby,Yayagal and Arcy are right and I agree.I don't think we can ever understand the "whys".We just have to believe that everything happens for a reason,even though we don't know the reason.
    I am so sorry your brother is going through this and pray that the doctors can make him comfortable.Is there not some type of treatment that can be used to shrink the tumor?
    I will keep Billy and you and your family in my prayers.

• kacram
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry about Bill.

• vannie
    13 years ago

No one has an answer to this question. I don't think we're supposed to understand, and I don't think we're capable of understanding. I don't think God sits up there on his throne and zaps people at random. I think a lot of factors affect our health--lifestyle, DNA, preservatives in our food, and on and on. Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. This is a question that's been asked since the beginning of time. All we can do is handle it the best we can--within our family, friends, acquaintances.

I know an 88 year old woman that begs to die daily--mainly from being unhappy--not a medical want. I know a woman 63 years old that is begging to live. She has brain cancer and her days are limited. Life is not fair, and never will be. But your question has no answer. I don't think we will ever have an answer. I guess that's why you're supposed to live llfe to the fullest, and know that the way you treat people and the love you have and share is what matters. No one knows what tomorrow holds.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through. I volunteer at the hospital and I see so much tragedy and so much sadness, but I do know that no one knows why. I think Christians take comfort in the promise of eternal life. I don't know about anyone else, but I do know about that.

I hope he can get some relief from his pain.And you will find some peace and comfort.

• sandiefl
    13 years ago

Keeping you and Billy and his family in my prayers.

• cynic
    13 years ago

I've had broken ribs and know what it's like. I hope he finds relief soon.

I don't have answers, just some thoughts on the subject but this isn't the place for it.

• pattico_gw
    13 years ago

I think cynic is right...

We can offer our good thoughts or whatever anyone wants to call them...but not a place to get into religion.
    Sometime you get some real bad advice when you ask for religious advice.

• country_bumpkin_al
    13 years ago

I don't have answer(s) and even if I could give you an answer...it wouldn't be good enough..it still wouldn't make sense to us!! I can't/don't buy into the "everything happens for a reason" idea! Sometimes things "just happen"! It's no ones fault, there's no one to blame, no one to point a finger at and say YOU did this..YOU allowed this! It just is. I remember years ago, a man that went to Church with us was diagnosed with cancer. He said he never asked "Why"..his question was "Why NOT me"..becuase he was no mare exempt from something bad happening to him, than the next person.

I'll continue to Pray for Billy and your Family. Don't look for answers to the why's of this...just love and enjoy him for as long as you have him!

• carla35
    13 years ago

Life is not fair... but I do find that sometimes inner peace can be attained through suffering. Possibly, the physical pain may be (in a way) healing the soul.

What's fair is foul and foul is fair...

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

We humans simply do not know enough about the root casues of cancers and prevention. Its incidence is seemingly a ramdom hit. We do know some of the causes that are tirggers to cancer, but not everything about how the disease works, and why. We are still in the early stages of treatments. In years to come, we will view some of today's practices as barbaric. There are those among us who will look for blame: Did not live right; Wasn't religious; Was a cheater; etc. They carry on a whisper campaign of know-nothings, but very damaging to the target person/persons. That, in itself, is a cancer of the soul.

You wished for answers. We all do, but have none, so we say, "Life is not fair.", which is true but not very comforting. Until more is known and better treatments have been developed, we can only try to cope and accept what nature hands to us. In a small way, there is a positive. Each case lends a little bit of data and someday, someone will have a better idea.

It is times like this that try our souls, and those who do not believe we have souls, it still tries their beings as well. No matter your belief or non-belief, none escapes. In that sense, we are equals.

Our thoughts go with you.

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

I really am so sorry this has been the cards dealt... Our son died three years ago from brain cancer, so I feel your pain... but like Gibby,Yayagal and Arcy said... I agree with. I do believe that with every adverse issue we must deal with, it serves in some way to refine us for what is to come and so we must keep the faith and know that it will be better one day. In the grand scheme of things, our moments here on earth are but as wisp of smoke and is only exists here for a minute amount of time....

Stay strong and stay faithful...

God Be with you.

Carolyn